Rorschach

Northlane - Alien (2019)

247 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

I really have enjoyed this album the last few days, it’s a bit of a refreshing change...

my one note.... does anyone else get some heavy heavy Powerman 5000 vibes on Eclipse?!?

8 minutes ago, Cobwebs&CablesTX said:

I really have enjoyed this album the last few days, it’s a bit of a refreshing change...

my one note.... does anyone else get some heavy heavy Powerman 5000 vibes on Eclipse?!?

I get all sorts of 90s radio-metal vibes.  linkin park, powerman 5000, even a little rob zombie. 

• Love 1

Man. Kudos to these guys for trying so something different. 

It isnt their their best work but it's damn nice to hear them produce a new sound.

also Marcus sounds insane and this album gets really heavy at points. 

8/10 - fun as fuck to listen to.

1 hour ago, humbleledger said:

I get all sorts of 90s radio-metal vibes.  linkin park, powerman 5000, even a little rob zombie. 

Careful, korweebs might attack you for comparing this to "bands of no relation"

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Dust of Pain said:

Careful, korweebs might attack you for comparing this to "band of no relation"

oooh don't worry I already just assume anything I say in this topic will be misconstrued and thrown in my face 

2 hours ago, Cam979 said:

It isnt their their best work but it's damn nice to hear them produce a new sound.

What would you say is their better album? Singularity?

Yea, this album is a big disappointment. Easily their worst record. The numetal/wave sound they tried to add just was bland most of the time an marcus doesn't have the right voice for the style at all. 

Talking heads, vultures, freefall, jinn an paradigm(minus the chorus) are the only salvageable songs i can listen to off this. Hopefully the next album delivers. Really wished they expanded upon the mesmor sound.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

This album really showcases Marcus as the great vocalist he is imo. The instrumentals are pretty ridiculous sometimes, but the great production keeps things clean and its very intruiging and unique. Some aspects might grow on me even more after more listening, but one thing wont: Eclipse. That song is ass

Top 3 for me: Bloodline duh. Song speaks for itself. 4D Marcus sounds better than ever before here. The Intrumental is wild, especially that nasty ass breakdown. Talking Heads has the nastiest, most groovy guitars I have heard since Loathes Cold Sun. 

Honorable mentions: Vultures loved that song since release. And now a rant about Jinn: Marcus, again, kills it in the chorus, also the way his delivery on the third one is different is very cool. Everything about this song is absolutely fantastic.. until the unbelievably underwhelming last minute. They really didnt do, what could have easily been a top 3 song, justice with that... whatever it was. The album closer, Sleepless, is also really nice.

Overall,  people are gonna hate me for saying this, but this ties Singularity as my favourite album by them for now.

• Upvote 1

Alright, so I had to take a few days to let this grow on me.  Been listening to Northlane since they started and I was disappointed at first with how much they changed....

BUT musically this album is a pretty solid.  My top 3 songs on the CD would have to be:

1. Freefall (absolute BANGER)

2. 4D (Really get some old Linkin Park/Northlane mixture here.  I dig it.)

3. Vultures (loved it since they dropped the single)

• Upvote 1

Listened to this album last night and I fell in love with it on first listen. I'm a sucker for Metal infused with dnb and synth, so I was expecting to eat this up... Just wasn't expecting to love it THIS much. Very dynamic listen too, they can kill it with the electronics ("4d") just as much as they can kill with the low end heaviness ("Jinn").

I want to say this is my favorite Northlane album to date, but I'll give it some time to set in, let alone, revisit their back catalogue.

Waited to listen and let this set it. For a while, I haven’t been a big fan of these guys, but I think this record is great. I think this is their best work, and a really great amount of creative depth in this from start to end.

Deserves to be in the discussion for AOTY, not my personal choice, but still probably one of my 2019 favorites ( like I said, before this, never really got into them ). 

All that  being said, I love the transitions from song to song in this album. 

@BrickFace I actually love eclipse lol

• Upvote 1

listened along with the lyrics last night after smoking.  hit a little too close to home.

this is quickly becoming my aoty

• Love 1

On 7/31/2019 at 7:40 PM, nineball4444 said:

I listened cause you guys be hypin this. 

Hated it. I thought most of it was

downright boring. A couple of songs just droned for 4 minutes with barely a change. Others had some really shitty screeching. I think one song was ok. 

No AOTY material here in the slightest. 

MIW are better, no doubt

• Upvote 1

Not gonna lie, that was boring as fuck. 

Given this a few whirls, it's grown on me a bit. It's no Discoveries but I enjoy a lot more songs off Alien vs Mesmer or Node. 

LOVE: Details Matter, Bloodline, Talking Heads, Jinn, Paradigm

Like: Freefall, 4D, 

Good: Rift

Meh: Sleepless, Vultures

Irrationally hate: Eclipse

8/10 - I wish they explored the "Alien" theme more like in Details Matter. Lots of bass doesn't feel alien to me. But I still bang my head and it slaps pretty hard.

This album has been my musical crack the past week.

And yeah, it's my favorite Northlane album now.

• Upvote 1

Finally gonna comment on this thread after ~30 listens. But this album certainly lived up to my lofty expectations as it sits atop my aoty list with a 9/10 score.

I love the hard hitting, dynamic songs like Details Matter, 4D and Jinn, with the latter being my favorite song on the record. Rift is also a favorite of mine, though I wish it had a bit more of a climax to it. I just love how Northlane explored so many different styles on this album, but it all still sounds like Northlane, just with a fresh coat of paint on it. Eclipse is super dancy, but still heavy, there's the grouping of heavy songs, there's the slow spacey songs like Rift and Sleepless. I think I'm one of few that likes Rift more than Sleepless. Bloodline, though one of the more standard songs in their entire discography, still holds up as a great one. My least favorite will have to be Vultures. No other metalcore release has come close to Northlane this year for me, we'll see if that continues. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

On 7/30/2019 at 8:07 PM, ggl3dde said:

DnB + Shitty Screams = AOTY for some people. 

This is embarrassingly bad.

I mean, glad people can derive some enjoyment from it - but I'm pretty sure if it didn't have the name attached, no one would be heralding it as "revolutionary". 

Okay I'll admit, above was my initial reaction, but I finally gave this album a fair, balanced shake....and after a few listens, actually kind of enjoy it. 

I could never get into them after Marcus joined since all their songs blended into one another and sounded like prog metal without the interesting parts. 

And while it's still by no mean revolutionary in my eyes, I can readily admit it is really refreshing, grabbing bits and pieces from all across the spectrum and making something strangely cohesive.

Plus songs like 4D and Freefall are too solid to ignore. The latter half of the album is pretty weak though, and I still hate Eclipse.

But I'll definitely admit I was a bit harsh in my first comment on it. 

On 7/31/2019 at 8:25 PM, humbleledger said:

after a few listens I don't really have much to say aside from praise.   this is the opposite of 'droning'.  each song feels unique and necessary.  

what IS unnecessary is those terrible growl-talk vocals.  I still feel like they kill the soaring vibe this album rides and brings the momentum to a dead stop... but thank god their only on the first few tracks and used so sparingly that it doesn't really affect my overall enjoyment.  and I've really been enjoying this... top 5 this year easily and I've never been a nl fan.   so fun. 

I've always loved everything Northlane had brought out but I sadly agree with Marcus' attempt at spoken word like vocals. It just doesn't fit and I eye roll a good amount everytime he does it. Personally, I feel like Northlane is really organic as a band that I can look past it. They know how to work the formula and even if it's a different direction of their norm, some songs from this album are a form of nod to their older catalog. Overall I enjoyed this album, I keep coming back to it and hyped to see them next month. 

• Love 1

On 8/3/2019 at 11:47 PM, xiryn said:

Alright, so I had to take a few days to let this grow on me.

If you try olives everyday for a month, you may start to like them, even if they're crap. This poppy metal is like olives. I am indeed weird.

God damn the space vibes in this album are so good especially the intro song. I've never been big into these guys but this is in my top 5 albums of the year so far for sure. Would love to see them play this live while The Devil Wears Prada plays the Space EP.

Before Alien, I listened to Northlane on occasion. Always thought they were great, but I wasn't putting them on as much as I should.

A month after Alien, I haven't put this album down, I'm listening to their back catalogue more, saw them put on an excellent set with their Erra co-headline tour and I'm currently waiting for my black/red vinyl to come in the mail.

Fuck, this album pretty much made me fall in love with this band. At this point, it's fighting for my favorite album of 2019.

• Love 1

This album became a favorite of mine and I didn't even realize it. It's so fresh and enjoyable from front to back and definitely my favorite Northlane release by far. Will absolutely be somewhere in my top 10 list at the end of the year.

STILL digging this album. It keeps growing on me.