Rorschach

Northlane - Alien (2019)

243 posts in this topic

So for in my opinion it doesnt have the initial holy fuck impact that mesmer had on me. My fav songs last record were heartmachine and solar. Im usually not a fan of fast tempo stuff and Ive never really been super into the industrial prodigy type bands. Lot of that influence on this album. Again this is after a quick first listen. Its human nature to reject something new so its impossible to give a proper critique just yet. Northlane always seems to grow on me over time. For example I used to hate vultures. Now I cant believe I ever disliked that song. So far my biggest bummer moment was paradigm. I wish he did cleans over that awesomely melodic chorus. Man that could of been epic. My 2nd gripe is rift and sleepless dont really feel like complete songs to me. All in all I guess I just feel a little shortchanged in getting those classic northlane songs. Talking heads clean part is by far the best melody on the album in my opinion. SO FAR

Other Releases by

6 hours ago, スカムです said:

Ladies and gentlemen, here is your AOTY.

Oh hell no. As I Lay Dying - Shaped by Fire is going to be AOTY.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

I was never a huge Northlane fan. I didn't give them a proper listen until they released Vultures last year, but definitely saw their appeal afterwards.

This album though, it's so fucking good. It's different, but it's a well executed different. I'm listening to Jinn right now, and I can't wait for the HQ update, cause this sounds amazing sonically.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FallenZA said:

nah

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1

I still think Vultures is one of the best songs on the album :banana:

5 hours ago, desk said:

Sorry, but all in all it's an easy metalcore AOTY so far (until the heavy hitters in autumn start dropping).

Seriously?  You are saying this is better than fuming mouth and employed to serve?

Yikes

• Love 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Nickelback4Life said:

Seriously?  You are saying this is better than fuming mouth and employed to serve?

Yikes

Yes, I enjoy this album more than those two great albums. :)

• Upvote 1

the vocals on this sound incredible!

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, FallenZA said:

Shaped By Fire will be good, but here again, this is not gonna be AOTY for me. Periphery already claimed this throne.

anyone getting any starset vibes on some songs?

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Its a decent album but I think the best thing about it is the mix.

15 minutes ago, mjistheway701 said:

Yikes this is not that good, like what maybe 4 objectively good songs half of which were released as singles. Y'all need to come down off that AOTY ledge because Thy Art Is Murder won that. This doesn't nearly djent enough 2/10 and the 2 are for Brendon's vocals RIP Structures 

that TAIM record was like the most boring album ever though (to me) .  Every song was the same damn thing pretty much, with little to no memorable riffs or anythings.  It was just angry breakdowns just because.  Putting my opinion aside, it was the same things/songs over and over again, they didn't do anything new or interesting.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, DreamAgain said:

lmfao.

It's not even the best METALCORE album of the month.  It's not even the best album of the past two weeks.

Wolves at the gate absolutely obliterates this.

sounds like someone has had too much crack

49 minutes ago, mjistheway701 said:

Yikes this is not that good, like what maybe 4 objectively good songs half of which were released as singles. Y'all need to come down off that AOTY ledge because Thy Art Is Murder won that. This doesn't nearly djent enough 2/10 and the 2 are for Brendon's vocals RIP Structures 

I liked the new TAIM (unpopular opinion on here) but this is miles better

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

That Peppa Pig album just dropped though

Have fun with it. Figured you for a toddler long time ago :P

7 hours ago, DreamAgain said:

lmfao.

It's not even the best METALCORE album of the month.  It's not even the best album of the past two weeks.

Is Wolves at the gate even metalcore?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I have never liked Northlane. I tried my best to like them, even buying two albums in the past. With that being said, I'm listening to "4D" right now and I'm really diggin it. The songs before it weren't bad, but nothing to write home about. This is an interesting listen so far and I don't know if I'll keep it in heavy rotation, but I kinda like this new sound they have. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, FallenZA said:

Have fun with it. Figured you for a toddler long time ago :P

Bong bing boo, bing bong bing, bing bong bingly bungly boo!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

This album has definitely put Northlane on the map for me, never really cared for them until this. This is sick, Talking Heads is still my favourite though up to now

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, mjistheway701 said:

This doesn't djent enough? Well uh, it's not djent, so

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mjistheway701 said:

You are probably one of them guys that thinks downtuned metalcore is djent :D

• Upvote 1

am I the only one getting holding absence vibes from the cleans?

Haven't really been a huge fan of Northlane, never listened to their pre-Marcus stuff and wasn't big on Node. Mesmer I'd say I liked about 50% of it but it wasn't anything special. This, on the other hand, I dig. I love Industrial Metal and this is a pretty sweet blend of Industrial/Nu-Metal sounds. Kinda like a weird hybrid of Celldweller/Linkin Park with some Sybreed (RIP) mixed in.

Excluding the singles, my early stand outs are 4D, Jinn, and Rift.

8 hours ago, DreamAgain said:

lmfao.

Can you even choose anything remotely similar or is Sixx AM your metalcore AOTY too? Forever confused, bruh.

Not rating the single at all :blink:

Way too much electronic stuff going on for me. It almost drowns everything out. I want to like Northlane but this will be another release I'll pass on. 

• Upvote 2

Sonically massive. So many layers to each song and I really love it. It almost feels disrespectful to bump this in 128. but I'm so hyped to listen to this really loud when that 320 is out. Think this could be the AOTY. Also, wish my preorder would be delivered a few days before the release date like the old days >:(

• Love 2