Rorschach

Northlane - Alien (2019)

247 posts in this topic

Other Releases by

This is absolutely incredible 

This album is a masterpiece (IN *MY* OPINION YOU GUYS) and is so far rivaling Whitechapel to take my AOTY spot (ALSO IN *MY* OPINION)

• Upvote 4

I'm gonna post my full thoughts when a better version of the album comes out but for now I'l say Sleepless is definitely not a song I'd expect a band like Northlane to release but it might actually be one of my favourites. I've surprised myself with that thought. I may be reaching but I thought the background sort of ambience was very similar to Weightless from Node and due to the names of the songs I'm doubting this was an accident.

The album was definitely worth the wait and I genuinely think anyone with any interest in music should listen to this and see how the band have expertly mixed countless styles and genres together to create one of the most unique final products I've ever heard.

Obviously I'm biased and I dont think I'll ever not like a Northlane album but this is such an interesting evolution in their sound that will hopefully help the band receive more attention and fans. The boys deserve it.

Also any replies saying this album is one of the most generic things ever, asking me if I've listened to so and so band cause they're so much better than this, no I haven't. Shut it.

• Upvote 2

Amazing album! Only Periphery's new album tops it.  My personal TOP 5 in 2019 for now. 

1. Periphery - Hail Stan

2. Northlane - Alien

3. Whitechapel - The Valley

4. Oh, Sleeper - Bloodied/Unbowed

5. Demon Hunter - War

• Upvote 1

On 7/30/2019 at 12:50 PM, NieR:Automata™ said:

As a side-note, I can totally imagine this in Doom games 

The breakdown in 4D heavily reminds me of the Mastermind track from Doom 2016. I dig it.

Edit: Nvm I'm thinking of Vega Core. It took me a few days to find the right track ?

• Upvote 1

well that was absolutley fucken amazing

Give me 320 or give me death!

@NieR:Automata™link your review blog

• Haha 3

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

@NieR:Automata™ twitch stream you listening to 320 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

klsig.png.3267830764a221b632f399d63c5c2267.png

Fantastic album 10/10 Northlane never disappoints.

• Upvote 1

@NieR:Automata™ you shouldn't care for people's opinion and even searching for them when you rate it 10/10 and the album means sooo much to you,it has value beyond and far more. JINN is their best song,true. 

• Upvote 1

crystal lake,apollo.jpg

seen them serveral time live... ! 

they Rock !  THX for the advanced release ill stay with 128 until the real Thinge emerges 

so this is where i get off the Northlane train... unfortunately..... 

I understand bands maturing in sound and changing it up which they have done so far with every album they have put out. but this is an entire sound change... most songs there isnt a real guitar sound to be found... this is straight up an EDM/club band it seems with screaming over it. Dont get me wrong there are some parts that are very much northlane... but overall they just are not the same band anymore.

I wish these dudes nothing but the best but this just isnt for me... Maybe itll grow on me.. who knows... we will see.

• Upvote 6

Gonna wait for the 320 I guess lol

RnmmCRF.gif

not sure if its even worth listening to after eclipse

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

22 minutes ago, Grant.Josh said:

so this is where i get off the Northlane train... unfortunately..... 

funny, I think this is where I get on the nl train.  then again, I haven't been into past releases. 

at least you're not bitter.  so much of that recently when bands evolve. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, humbleledger said:

funny, I think this is where I get on the nl train.  then again, I haven't been into past releases. 

at least you're not bitter.  so much of that recently when bands evolve. 

yeah no need to be bitter... they are doing them. i was in a band for many years so i know whats its like... so more power to them. and yes i was a fan of them since day 1. ive liked their changes from each album until now.. this is just too drastic.. 

• Upvote 3

I'd say after about two listens that it's a solid 8/10. 

I'd give it a 9 or 10, but I cannot get over my dislike of vultures and Rift. 

That being said, I think this is an album I'll have on repeat for a long time 

• Upvote 1

this is perfect, definitely up there with discoveries and singularity imo 

• Upvote 1

EFo5Hj3XoAAmas3.jpg

3 hours ago, Irrev77 said:

I wasn't a big fan of Mesmer but this is a HUGE improvement. I'm loving this new sound!

This makes me excited to give it a listen once 320 arrives.

Fantastic album! Especially 2nd half is amazing. I really love songs like Jinn and Rift. Eclipse is pretty much the only song i still can't get into for some reasons.

STYGKL_1.gif

I need the Lyrics for 'Paradigm'

Goddamn, this Song fucking SLAPS!

Holy shit, this Album is a great surprise.

4D / Paradigm / Rift are my top 3 songs

• Upvote 1

Still not the biggest fan of Talking Heads and Eclipse, but all other songs are actually good. I was afraid they'd get less creative with their songs especially after hearing Eclipse, but it seems that I was wrong.

I'm very surprised of the new style, but i like it. Great Album!

So for in my opinion it doesnt have the initial holy fuck impact that mesmer had on me. My fav songs last record were heartmachine and solar. Im usually not a fan of fast tempo stuff and Ive never really been super into the industrial prodigy type bands. Lot of that influence on this album. Again this is after a quick first listen. Its human nature to reject something new so its impossible to give a proper critique just yet. Northlane always seems to grow on me over time. For example I used to hate vultures. Now I cant believe I ever disliked that song. So far my biggest bummer moment was paradigm. I wish he did cleans over that awesomely melodic chorus. Man that could of been epic. My 2nd gripe is rift and sleepless dont really feel like complete songs to me. All in all I guess I just feel a little shortchanged in getting those classic northlane songs. Talking heads clean part is by far the best melody on the album in my opinion. SO FAR

6 hours ago, スカムです said:

Ladies and gentlemen, here is your AOTY.

Oh hell no. As I Lay Dying - Shaped by Fire is going to be AOTY.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

tumblr_pdnnq8zdjV1wphcbjo1_500.gif