We are aware that some MP3 files have corrupted/black embedded album art. We are working to fix this for future releases. For those of you facing this issue, please avail yourself of our Artwork Finder.
Summers

Baroness - Gold & Grey (2019)

44 posts in this topic

600x600bb.jpg

Leaked
Release - June 14th, 2019

Genre - Post-Metal, Progressive Metal, Stoner Metal

Quality - MP3, 320 kbps CBR / FLAC (HQ)

Tracklist:

01. Front Toward Enemy (3:44)
02. I'm Already Gone (3:50)
03. Seasons (4:26)
04. Sevens (2:05)
05. Tourniquet (5:45)
06. Anchor's Lament (1:39)
07. Throw Me an Anchor (4:00)
08. I'd Do Anything (4:10)
09. Blankets of Ash (1:04)
10. Emmet: Radiating Light (4:12)
11. Cold: Blooded Angels (5:38)
12. Crooked Mile (0:41)
13. Broken Halo (4:24)
14. Can Oscura (2:01)
15. Borderlines (6:16)
16. Assault on East Falls (2:19)
17. Pale Sun (4:14)

Download

Support!

Facebook / iTunes

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

Overall it is a pretty good album, what else did I expect? :)  The mix is still pretty subpar imo, but oh well

Track 3 on here is track 2 again. Solid album overall

I dont think ba r oness knows what bad music is. Holy hell im halfway through. And its a very great album so far

1 hour ago, Stasz18 said:

Track 3 on here is track 2 again. Solid album overall

Wait so is this the full thing or is a track missing?

The single Seasons is missing 

My favorite Baroness album yet, great stuff. 

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Overall it is a pretty good album, what else did I expect? :)  The mix is still pretty subpar imo, but oh well

This poor mixing narrative is getting tired. How is it "subpar"? I'm with you if you have some minor complaints about some of the production choices but the mixing? Explain... 

• Love 1
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, Stasz18 said:

The single Seasons is missing 

Ahh okay I'll just add it because I can't wait to hear this any longer then just wait for a 320 to replace it afterwards. Thanks for the heads up!

19 minutes ago, rampface said:

Ahh okay I'll just add it because I can't wait to hear this any longer then just wait for a 320 to replace it afterwards. Thanks for the heads up!

album should be fine now. all 320 singles have replaced their 256 equivalents and the track times all looked okay to me. let me know if there's any further issue

56 minutes ago, jeffbeck84 said:

This poor mixing narrative is getting tired. How is it "subpar"? I'm with you if you have some minor complaints about some of the production choices but the mixing? Explain... 

Oops my bad, I meant I was not crazy about the production, not necessarily the mixing.  Thanks for pointing that out.  The songs themselves are pretty good but to me it sounds as if the songs are mostly flat, and there is little dynamic range.  It just sounds muddy and crackly.  I am by no means an expert, but that is what it sounds like to me; I shouldn't really be saying anything though until I hear it in 320 kbps or FLAC quality.

• Upvote 1

I thought this was sludge not stoner metal. Ot is there a difference?

8 minutes ago, Gandalfstorm said:

I thought this was sludge not stoner metal. Ot is there a difference?

I would say this is more sludge as opposed to stoner, it just happened to be labeled as stoner.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rheia said:

album should be fine now. all 320 singles have replaced their 256 equivalents and the track times all looked okay to me. let me know if there's any further issue

Yep looks good to me! Only on the 3rd track but I skimmed through before putting it on to make sure there were no duplicates. Thanks! Can’t wait for that 320.

Also people who have problems with the production.... that’s kind of Dave Friddman’s thing. Listen to any Flaming Lips record. He likes to put that crunch on the drums and guitars. I don’t have a problem with it because I grew up on loving lo-fi punk stuff. The band obviously made that artistic choice as well. Sounds great to me but I can understand why it will turn people off. Maybe when we get the 320 they’ll be a slight improvement. I love the chaos in the noise. Reminds me of Iggy Pop’s Raw Power and the blown out copy cat punk bands who were inspired by that record.

This feels more punchy and bass heavy than Purple but I haven’t revisited that record in a long time. I know people had a problem with that one as well but Purple is my favorite Baroness. Almost halfway through the new one and feels like a proper follow up so far. Songwriting is still on par with everything else they’ve done and the vocals are epic af!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I would say this is more sludge as opposed to stoner, it just happened to be labeled as stoner.

I mean yeah thats how i remembered them lol

• Upvote 1

Just finished... goddamn that was amazing! This year has kind of sucked for me and there hasn't been too many releases I've been pumped about. There's a lot to unpack but I can definitely see this being in my top 10 by the end of the year. Only gripe is they could have edited the tracklist and pushed the experimental stuff further. I might feel differently about that once it all clicks though. Great fucking album!

Based on the mix on the last single, this is gonna be a rough ride to say the least. It's a shame too, because their songwriting is top notch, as is Fridmann's production, but not in tandem. Fridmann's production work on the last two Number Girl albums is fantastic but it worked so well because Number Girl is an unbelievably raw and powerful band, whereas a band like Baroness deserve super pristine and sparkly production, not clipping and limiting.

Why are you booing me, I'm right? Go fucking listen to Sappukei and tell me that Fridmann isn't more suited to a band like that than Baroness.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

@rampface I promise you'll love "Animal Choir" by Her Name Is Calla. By far the most criminally underrated album of the year. It's like Godspeed! You Black Emperor, Radiohead, Arcade Fire mixed with a little noise rock, folk, & trip hop? It's brilliant, man. 

4 hours ago, jeffbeck84 said:

Listen to how rough Throw Me An Anchor in particular is; listen to how the guitars legitimately sound like they're being squashed, the sound of them mixed in with the drums are actually distorting, it sounds like they're growing in size and trying to break out of a room that their mass is becoming greater than - this metaphor is almost exactly what the mixing process is like - the sound is so loud that it's literally hitting the "roof" of the limiter on the master bus and clipping because of it. It's atrocious, which is such a shame because the songs themselves are fucking exquisite. Even if these were the most perfect songs ever written though, there's no possible way that this album could be a 10/10 solely because the mix drags them down.

4 minutes ago, TomoLust said:

Listen to how rough Throw Me An Anchor in particular is; listen to how the guitars legitimately sound like they're being squashed, the sound of them mixed in with the drums are actually distorting, it sounds like they're growing in size and trying to break out of a room that their mass is becoming greater than - this metaphor is almost exactly what the mixing process is like - the sound is so loud that it's literally hitting the "roof" of the limiter on the master bus and clipping because of it. It's atrocious, which is such a shame because the songs themselves are fucking exquisite. Even if these were the most perfect songs ever written though, there's no possible way that this album could be a 10/10 solely because the mix drags them down.

I kinda see what you're saying but I think it's intended to develop a more distinctive sound. What did you think of the production and mastering on Purple? 

Lol tired of ppl whining abt the production, mix, master, sound blah blah yiddee yaada. Just shut the hell up, keep that audio knowledge to yourself and listen to the album for what it is

Edit: To the downvoters: Let me know the next time when you get the gig to mix and master the next Baroness record, I'll see how good you're

Edited by Panncham
Just
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

@jeffbeck84  cool! I'll check it out. Love Radiohead and I've listened to a lot of Godspeed but not enough to call myself a true fan. Arcade Fire I'm cool with when they make worthy albums (fuck that last one sucked!). Favorites so far this year are the new Deerhunter, Panda Bear, Xiu Xiu, Possessed, Wand, Tyler the Creator, etc. I started compiling a best of the decade list for fun and nothing from 2019 would be in the top 30 at least. Still hoping Tool might pull off a miracle and release something of quality and maybe a new Kanye or NIN album will swoop in and save the day.

@TomoLust  the thing that irks me about the production and mixing gripes is that it's totally intentional. This is what the band wanted. Otherwise they wouldn't have returned back to Friddman. Yes of course his mixes are not dynamic and the guitars are pushed to the max but you have to believe that Baroness was pushing for that type of sound. Go check out Iggy's mix of The Stooge Raw Power. It will make your ears bleed but it's powerful and punishing and I don't think it would have had the same impact with a "normal" mix (in fact, for me anyways, it doesn't because the Bowie mix is nowhere near as harsh and loses it's balls). I think records like that and Gold & Grey are intended to be played on a stereo and not so much for headphone enjoyment. That being said, I would like to hear Baroness go with a different producer next time just for a change of pace.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Panncham said:

Lol tired of ppl whining abt the production, mix, master, sound blah blah yiddee yaada. Just shut the hell up, keep that audio knowledge to yourself and listen to the album for what it is

Discussion is cool dude. I get why everyone is pissed off about it. Would be cool to hear some thoughts on the songwriting tho.

@rampface Tool releasing something of quality is far from being a miracle, but living up to the album hype? That's a different story lol. 

@jeffbeck84  yea I can't see it living up to 13 years of hype but I can guarantee at this point it will be better than the last APC record based off of the two live songs we've heard so far. Invincible gives me hope. If the album is more like that track then I'll be content. Descending isn't bad either but sounds a little bit too "Tool going through the motions". Might change my mind when we hear the studio version. Whatever happens I'll just be happy hearing Danny and Justin play together again. As a rhythm section, they are worth the price of admission.

very good

really enjoy this album

17 hours ago, Panncham said:

Edit: To the downvoters: Let me know the next time when you get the gig to mix and master the next Baroness record, I'll see how good you're

We're not talking about how much better we would be able to do when producing it. We're talking about how it sounds shitty. Every instrument clips and makes it sound like your speakers are blown out. It's not the fuzz or distortion that's making it sound that way, it's really just the way it was produced that makes it sound horrible and difficult to listen to. Your ears get tired of listening to something like that, especially at 17 tracks.

• Upvote 1

Love this band so much. Can't wait to hear this in full. I've never had a problem with Baroness' production so I'm sure this album will be just fine to my ears just like all their previous ones.

That's really good, didn't know about them