We are aware that some MP3 files have corrupted/black embedded album art. We are working to fix this for future releases. For those of you facing this issue, please avail yourself of our Artwork Finder.
Summers

Baroness - Gold & Grey (2019)

44 posts in this topic

320 and FLAC added!

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By far and large the worst album Baroness has ever put out, devoid of any good guitar solo, beyond subpar production and so many filler tracks that contribute absolutely nothing. 17 tracks quickly widdles down to about 12 actual songs.  R.I.P Baroness. 

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 12:36 AM, jeffbeck84 said:

 

I kinda see what you're saying but I think it's intended to develop a more distinctive sound. What did you think of the production and mastering on Purple? 

Wasn't nearly as bad because there was as much purposeful clipping and over-compression. Go talk to any audio engineer and they'll tell you the #1 thing you never do is compress a distorted guitar because the waveform is already fucking compressed to begin with, that's literally what distortion is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 12:53 AM, rampface said:

 

Discussion is cool dude. I get why everyone is pissed off about it. Would be cool to hear some thoughts on the songwriting tho.

That's exactly the thing, the production definitely does seem like a conscious choice, because like I said, that's what Fridmann is known for, that over-compressed/over-saturated raw sound. It works for some bands, especially ones he's known for producing like The Flaming Lips and Number Girl, but it just doesn't work for Baroness. Which is a shame, because the songwriting here really is masterful, these guys have been honing their craft and getting better with each album, but I think this one is to the point where the production is so distracting that I don't nearly enjoy it as much as Purple. Otherwise, I'd say my ranking of their discography up to that point goes chronologically until this one, which I would put behind Purple now; it wasn't as bad or distracting on Purple, but it's just fuck awful at some points here. Enjoying the fuck out of these songs, but goddamn, I'd fuck for even a live album at this point just so I can enjoy these songs without the shitty production gimmick lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TomoLust said:

That's exactly the thing, the production definitely does seem like a conscious choice, because like I said, that's what Fridmann is known for, that over-compressed/over-saturated raw sound. It works for some bands, especially ones he's known for producing like The Flaming Lips and Number Girl, but it just doesn't work for Baroness. Which is a shame, because the songwriting here really is masterful, these guys have been honing their craft and getting better with each album, but I think this one is to the point where the production is so distracting that I don't nearly enjoy it as much as Purple. Otherwise, I'd say my ranking of their discography up to that point goes chronologically until this one, which I would put behind Purple now; it wasn't as bad or distracting on Purple, but it's just fuck awful at some points here. Enjoying the fuck out of these songs, but goddamn, I'd fuck for even a live album at this point just so I can enjoy these songs without the shitty production gimmick lmao

 

Fair enough. I definitely think they should go with a different producer next time. I’ve been playing this nonstop so far and that hour breezes by. Should end up in my top 10 for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just gonna say it. They haven't been good since Blue Record.

1 hour ago, Dairnt said:

By far and large the worst album Baroness has ever put out, devoid of any good guitar solo, beyond subpar production and so many filler tracks that contribute absolutely nothing. 17 tracks quickly widdles down to about 12 actual songs.  R.I.P Baroness. 

How can it be worse than Yellow & Green?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1
10 minutes ago, TomoLust said:

Wasn't nearly as bad because there was as much purposeful clipping and over-compression. Go talk to any audio engineer and they'll tell you the #1 thing you never do is compress a distorted guitar because the waveform is already fucking compressed to begin with, that's literally what distortion is.

Yeah, man. Rules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rampface said:

 

Fair enough. I definitely think they should go with a different producer next time. I’ve been playing this nonstop so far and that hour breezes by. Should end up in my top 10 for sure.

Oh it's definitely gonna make my list so far too, the songs themselves are great and the production doesn't change that. Additionally, the production works for I'd Do Anything but only because it's an entirely fucking different song than anything else on the album or that they've ever done, and I'm gonna go ahead and say it might be my new favorite song of 2019. Absolutely fucking crushingly powerful song, the last chorus had me in tears on my first listen.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Thrice, its surprising that no one is picking up on that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 2:04 AM, sprdnglkwngs said:

I'm just gonna say it. They haven't been good since Blue Record.

How can it be worse than Yellow & Green?

This guy gets it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, it's the guitar production that kills the mix, but it won't make me unable to enjoy it nonetheless. I think a band that kind of achieves what this one want to achieve as a guitar sound, but in the good ways is Elder. You have enough distortion, but not too much to cloud the whole mix and picking up the space of others band members (IE: the cymbals). Most importantly, the perception of the guitar is going to the same goal, but without the ear fatigue involved due to the overcompression of the thing (muddy, distorted sound). The overall dynamic range of 6 of the masters is also hurting some songs (the ones in the 3 or 4 ranges) by going the loudness ways. Anyways, that's my take on it, just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Copyright © 2013-2019 Kingdom Leaks.