The site has been successfully restored at 10 PM EST on February 19th from the backup taken at 4 AM on the same day. We were forced to do this due to a fatal system error. If something is missing, this is probably why. If you find any bugs as a result of this restore, please let us know immediately.
neebnoob18

Early-to-mid aughts metalcore

9 posts in this topic

Just to let you know, I only got into core about a year ago, so I'm still pretty ignorant.

In Finn McKenty's video about Attack Attack, he claims that they were the most influential metalcore band of that era. He does site a Metal Injection article from the time that says that the Stick Stickly video uses every metalcore cliche of the time. If there were cliches for them to use, then there must have been bands before them doing that kind of thing.

Similarly, In CrazyEightyEight's I Am Tetsuo video, the record label representative says that their song's breakdown would have sounded generic at Warped Tour in 2007.

Since I don't know of any, what are some bands that were doing the scene modern metalcore sound previous to Attack Attack, and what bands were doing post-hardcore like C88 earlier than 2007?

Sources:

https://metalinjection.net/av/attack-attacks-put-worst-songvideo

@neebnoob18 I think you are in a good time for core music-  a large number of the 2002-2008 bands have reemerged and putting out new albums in 2018-2019. During this time Solid State Records, Ferret Music and other smaller labels like Equal Vision, with mixtures of bands were active... Rise had just come out that time- and built this huge archive continuing til now.

For me *disclaimer*- key albums i listened too in early 00's were these (I put asterisks by the ones that are still around and what i think were fundamental to the 00s scene): 

Hopesfall - 2002 Satelite Years & 2004 A Types - these albums were fantastic

The Bled- 2003 Pass the Flask i still listen to regularly- 05 The flood is good stuff too

From Autumn to Ashes- 2003 Fiction we live

Poison the Well - 2002 Tear From the Red was my shit- definitely heavier

As Cities Burn- 2005- Son, I loved* id say anthem to my senior year of HS

Converge- heavy - not really metal core but should be mentioned- 2001-2004 w/ albums

Fear Before the March of Flames * Band from my home so i grew up listening

The Jonbenet* band from a city a few hours away that always played w FBTMoF

MIsery Signals* - 2004 Malice - really opened me to hardcore riffs

The Chariot- Josh Scoggin is a god

Every Time I Die* - still around and have only gotten heavier, but 2003 HOT DAMN was my shit.

Norma Jean (O'God & Bless the Martyr)** still putting out solid jams

August Burns Red*- still around, but in HS; 2005 Thrill Seeker

Boys Night Out *- dont necessarily sound metal core, but think its worth a mention 

The Acacia Strain- metal AF lol later in the 00's but solid 2006 release

Before Their Eyes- this aligns with AA - same label and sounds 

Burden of a Day- same label and 2008 Blessed had some solid songs

Catherine- 2006 Rumour Has it had solid tracks- 2007 The naturals was good mention

The Devil Wears Prada- Same label as AA but heavier

From First to last*- 2004 ive been listening to Teen Angst lately and man it brings back memories

I could go on and on about this though- the 2001-2009 metalcore/screamo scene etc etc really stuck with me and i think its great that alot of the bands are coming back around.

Might get some hate on this list... but lets be real, all of these bands were on the same table as AA during that time.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

some of the greatest metalcore (imo) came out in the 00's. I didn't listen to much metalcore back then. I was more of a pop punk, emo/idie/ Post Hardcore guy, but these stood out and still do. 

Unearth - The oncoming Storm

All That Remains - The Darkened Heart

A7X - Waking The Fallen

FATA - The Fiction We Live

God Forbid - Anti Hero

The Bled - Pass The Flask

Cannae - Horror

3 Inches of Blood - Advance and Vanquish - not sure if this is metalcore

• Love 1

Just now, Cobwebs&CablesTX said:

@Smash_Adams FATA and The Bled will be on everyone’s list during this time... or should lol 

as should Unearth and ATR, but that's just me.  those 2 albums, plus Waking The Fallen are some of my all time favorite albums ever.  

21 minutes ago, Smash_Adams said:

some of the greatest metalcore (imo) came out in the 00's. I didn't listen to much metalcore back then. I was more of a pop punk, emo/idie/ Post Hardcore guy, but these stood out and still do. 

Unearth - The oncoming Storm

All That Remains - The Darkened Heart

A7X - Waking The Fallen

FATA - The Fiction We Live

God Forbid - Anti Hero

The Bled - Pass The Flask

Cannae - Horror

3 Inches of Blood - Advance and Vanquish - not sure if this is metalcore

43 minutes ago, Cobwebs&CablesTX said:

@neebnoob18 I think you are in a good time for core music-  a large number of the 2002-2008 bands have reemerged and putting out new albums in 2018-2019. During this time Solid State Records, Ferret Music and other smaller labels like Equal Vision, with mixtures of bands were active... Rise had just come out that time- and built this huge archive continuing til now.

For me *disclaimer*- key albums i listened too in early 00's were these (I put asterisks by the ones that are still around and what i think were fundamental to the 00s scene): 

Hopesfall - 2002 Satelite Years & 2004 A Types - these albums were fantastic

The Bled- 2003 Pass the Flask i still listen to regularly- 05 The flood is good stuff too

From Autumn to Ashes- 2003 Fiction we live

Poison the Well - 2002 Tear From the Red was my shit- definitely heavier

As Cities Burn- 2005- Son, I loved* id say anthem to my senior year of HS

Converge- heavy - not really metal core but should be mentioned- 2001-2004 w/ albums

Fear Before the March of Flames * Band from my home so i grew up listening

The Jonbenet* band from a city a few hours away that always played w FBTMoF

MIsery Signals* - 2004 Malice - really opened me to hardcore riffs

The Chariot- Josh Scoggin is a god

Every Time I Die* - still around and have only gotten heavier, but 2003 HOT DAMN was my shit.

Norma Jean (O'God & Bless the Martyr)** still putting out solid jams

August Burns Red*- still around, but in HS; 2005 Thrill Seeker

Boys Night Out *- dont necessarily sound metal core, but think its worth a mention 

The Acacia Strain- metal AF lol later in the 00's but solid 2006 release

Before Their Eyes- this aligns with AA - same label and sounds 

Burden of a Day- same label and 2008 Blessed had some solid songs

Catherine- 2006 Rumour Has it had solid tracks- 2007 The naturals was good mention

The Devil Wears Prada- Same label as AA but heavier

From First to last*- 2004 ive been listening to Teen Angst lately and man it brings back memories

I could go on and on about this though- the 2001-2009 metalcore/screamo scene etc etc really stuck with me and i think its great that alot of the bands are coming back around.

Might get some hate on this list... but lets be real, all of these bands were on the same table as AA during that time.

Thanks so much to both of you. It's a lot of music, but when I like to educate myself about something, I'll dig deep. I promise, all of it will get listened to.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Cobwebs&CablesTX said:

@Smash_Adams agreed, not sure why I didn’t think of that in my list... I went converge and the chariot instead lol 

hahah, back then Converge was way too brutal for me.