Summers

Northlane - Talking Heads (Single) (2019)

53 posts in this topic

The northlane bois deliver again so hyped for this record

Other Releases by

I agree with an above poster. In my opinion this is way more experimental than there older stuff. Although I loved mesmer the best tracks were the ones where they tried different things. All there heavy song seemed to follow the exact same pattern just albeit a different tuning. Even the guitar player agreed and thats why he tried new things here. This is fucking so good.

13 minutes ago, prsjunkie said:

I agree with an above poster. In my opinion this is way more experimental than there older stuff. Although I loved mesmer the best tracks were the ones where they tried different things. All there heavy song seemed to follow the exact same pattern just albeit a different tuning. Even the guitar player agreed and thats why he tried new things here. This is fucking so good.

If I'm being honest the second half of Mesmer kinda morphs into 1 for me so if all the songs on Alien have this big a contrast between them I will die happy

I really enjoy this but I loved "Bloodline" personally. I guess I'm in the minority there, for some reason, but I love this sound change and definitely am looking forward to the album!

5 hours ago, suckmywaifu said:

What is it you dont like about them? I am aware of a few folk who only watch Nic's videos so am curious to hear what turns you off of the rest of the band.

If you haven't give Leech a listen - it's one of my favourites

I've already tried listening to every single material that this band has put out. For some reason it sounds just boring to me. I guess I dont understand them

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

another solid track. so ready for this album.

I didn't really care for their previous work as solid as they are but I love this. Glad so many bands are adding that tinge of nu metal. Been pretty bored with most standard metalcore for a while now but this is great for Northlane. Good to hear something a little different from them. But I'm also just a huge nu metal fan so hard for me not to like it. 

this is good as fuck. pumped for this album

I’ll never love Northlane as much as I used to. Adrian Fitipaldes was always a huge inspiration for me in term of vocals(screams). He wasn’t the best at cleans when they introduced them a little more on Singularity, but his scream was always one of my favorite amongst all vocalist, which is a personal opinion. I don’t consider him being one of the best of all time to clarify what I mean.

But all the negativity around these new singles and their last two albums is way too exaggerated. They made some catchy and solid songs all around. I can’t get into them as much as before, since Discoveries and Singularity are two of my favorite albums of all time, but they’re far from being “bad”.

• Upvote 3

This song covers at least 3 genres. Absolute banger though. I had to sit back and really absorb it. The progression is nuts. The Last minute or so slaps hard.

• Love 1

Unpopular opinion, these guys have never done much for me. With that said, I dig this more, but I just can’t get into their vocalist very much. Idk

• Downvote 1

Remember when this band was good?

Me neither

zing

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

I just love how different the song structures and the overall vibes of each single is.

Vultures is arguably them going back more towards their Singularity-esque sound, it has a very classic intro-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-outro type deal. Then Bloodline features wholesome nu-metal elements and a song structure that nearly every song on Mesmer had (most impressive moment of nearly every song happening around the middle, usually a breakdown before they even reach a second chorus, etc) and now this is arguably the most linear song they've done in a long time if you look at it from the vocal/instrumental perspective and not the lyrics, plus it's like a mix of both of the previous singles and a lot of new elements.

This song specifically is very impressive to me for the guitar tone shifts and the electronic layers, they add so much that I felt like the song was missing when I saw the live vids over and over back in late 2018.

They also mentioned that there should be two or so ambient songs like Weightless but with with their newer sound and more electronics, which I'm very keen on hearing. I feel like we haven't even heard the best this album has to offer (same could be said about Mesmer as well, they never released a MV for Render or Zero-One, but they're easily my fave tracks on it, weird they're not that well received live as they're much better than Citizen imo).

All in all every single so far is very different in one way or another and I feel like this might even surpass Mesmer or Singularity for me (S > M > D > N). They still haven't released the most ambient/moodiest/most electronic/heaviest tracks and those usually are more niche but blow you away harder than the singles do.

Bring on Eclipse. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Dig the fuck out of it. Generic? Who cares, it's Northlane, it's catchy, they ain't writing songs to win the public, let them enjoy themselves and their music!

Maybe I'm just like the rest of them

but I refuse to take the medicine

To escape the mess I'm in

Outspoken

By the voices in my head

(BLEGH)

I don’t think I’m a fan of the mumble/whisper/whatever parts of the song, and I’m hoping that’s not gonna be a common element on the album. Least favorite overall of the singles, but so far they tend to not release the best songs (of the Marcus albums) as singles so I’m hyped to hear the rest.

I've been listening to Northlane since Discoveries.  Really enjoyed all of their CD's.  Adrian was fantastic and then when he left and Marcus joined, he brought in some great clean vocals (even though I thought Adrian did great with Quantum Flux).  Vultures got me INCREDIBLY hyped for this CD, but Bloodline and this song are bringing me back to a reality that they are getting further away from Node and I'm not enjoying it as much.  Everyone has their own taste, but FUCK I wish Alien would sound more like Vultures instead of a KoRn copy.

• Downvote 2

FLAC added!

This is very Korn and Motionless In White sounding but i like it

Not a big fan of the vox on this track, I can kinda dig the instrumental though.
Seems I'll be sleeping on this one, oh well.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Grew on me. (Deep in my heart I will always prefer Vultures tho)

You know. Now that I think about it. The down tuned guitar work with a little progressive metal influences in a more nu-metal direction of this album kinda does sound a but alienish. I like it.

If the third single (Eclipse) will also be a banger, then I'm definitely checking Alien out as soon it's out.

I would agree that Bloodline is veeeeeery early 00s nu-metal sounding with a layer of Nu-Northlane synths and some djentier moments, great vocals by Marcus, solid breakdown, the middle part is also definitely not something you'll hear in 99.9% of nu-metal/nu-metalcore, but come on, Talking Heads is so fucking different to that and besides the vocals during the beginning verses it's not even close to gEnErIc nU-cOrE, I feel like people who say this shit either have shit equipment or listen on like 20% 10 dollar earphones and don't care for the layers of nuance. Like how, am I, a person who is 25 years old, been listening to alt-metal and nu-metal for nearly two decades, and is now bored by the genre at this point, who also listens to a lot of nu-core (fuck yeah Loathe, Dealer, Lotus Eater, Ocean Grove, etc, etc), who also has Northlane in his top 10-20 most listened bands of all time, who is ALSO getting bored by a lot of more generic 'core, just doesn't hear the genericness in Northlane, like what the fuck are you even saying, if anything Northlane are standing out more with their upcoming and last two albums as opposed to Singularity at this point, which was copied by a fuckton of talentless dweebs :DDD

/rant

• Upvote 1