Summers

Spiritbox - Spiritbox (aka Singles Collection) (EP) (2019)

43 posts in this topic

And yeah you nailed it, the can't really tour cause of where they live, it would be crazy expensive for them, plus they're still unsigned and self-funded. Also, even if you don't like IWABO, I'd recommend their album Late For Nothing because it's literally proto-Spiritbox. 

Other Releases by

Just gonna call this "Spiritbox II - EP" haha

Any chance to get FLAC or ALAC? please

• Upvote 2

EEE

15 hours ago, Venomborn said:

Just gonna call this "Spiritbox II - EP" haha

yeah the way they chose to title this is rather bizarre 

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2019 at 3:39 PM, dpr1990 said:

There weren't a ton of people there for their set and that killed me. They definitely deserved a headliners' audience. Great great night. They actually opened for our local band instead of the other way around, so we got real hammered early for that show. And then I was too tired to actually stick around for Misery Signals because I was falling asleep. Still regret that.

Really nice people though. Friend and I immediately bought shirts after the show and I didn't see anyone else doing so. Cool merch. Hope they can start playing more shows soon! They're actually from an island of the coast of British Columbia that's generally reserved for rich retirees and hippies. Probably expensive for them to drive their little van all over. I wouldn't bank on them playing the USA anytime soon but I can only hope you guys get a shot to see them.

As a friend of the band, I know a little more than most about how they do things. They don't really tour currently, and while Mike and Courtney live on Vancouver Island, the other two live on the mainland. They ride the ferry over and put in a solid weekend of rehearsing and writing all the time. 

If you guys are interested in what bands they were in leading up to this point, Mike was in Fall In Archaea and IWABO. Courtney was in Unicron and IWABO. Bill was in A Textbook Tragedy and currently plays in Living With Lions. Ryan was in Stutterfly and Secret And Whisper.

On 5/25/2019 at 5:51 PM, BradKohl said:

As a friend of the band, I know a little more than most about how they do things. They don't really tour currently, and while Mike and Courtney live on Vancouver Island, the other two live on the mainland. They ride the ferry over and put in a solid weekend of rehearsing and writing all the time. 

If you guys are interested in what bands they were in leading up to this point, Mike was in Fall In Archaea and IWABO. Courtney was in Unicron and IWABO. Bill was in A Textbook Tragedy and currently plays in Living With Lions. Ryan was in Stutterfly and Secret And Whisper.

Why did they move to Canada?  Didn't they use to live in the southern United States?

Oh wow I assumed they were Canadian citizens first? Interesting!

Oh well, short answer: It's Canada. It's just...*nicer* here. Especially British Columbia, which ties with Nova Scotia as the most jaw-droppingly gorgeous places to live in Canada.

I went back and really *tried* to like IWABO. Still can't do it, all these years later. Spiritbox is such a huge leap in quality from IWABO.

Got any insight into their current plans? They've got an LP and two EPs that are self-titled and I don't smell a new LP coming out anytime soon unless they're music-making gods, so I'm guessing we'd better hunker down for a wait?

4 minutes ago, dpr1990 said:

I went back and really *tried* to like IWABO. Still can't do it, all these years later. Spiritbox is such a huge leap in quality from IWABO.

Def check out Late For Nothing, it's great and very similar to Spiritbox. Hail Mary is fucking incredible but it's very grindcore-y so not really for everybody, but the occasional melodic stuff on it is pure Spiritbox (Your God Is Too Small, Trips, Green Eyes).

On 5/27/2019 at 10:54 AM, JPN366 said:

Why did they move to Canada?  Didn't they use to live in the southern United States?

Mike and Courtney are Canadian citizens. Courtney joined when their previous vocalist quit on them the first day of Warped Tour one year. Mike filled in on guitar for a couple years before becoming a full time member late in the band’s existence. The only reason IWABO doesn’t still exist is because the original guitarist basically told them they couldn’t call the band that anymore, as it was his trademark. 

36 minutes ago, BradKohl said:

Mike and Courtney are Canadian citizens. Courtney joined when their previous vocalist quit on them the first day of Warped Tour one year. Mike filled in on guitar for a couple years before becoming a full time member late in the band’s existence. The only reason IWABO doesn’t still exist is because the original guitarist basically told them they couldn’t call the band that anymore, as it was his trademark. 

So, the original guitarist killed IWABO?

Yes. He had a lucrative job that was keeping him busy, but he felt Courtney and Stringer were taking over the band and 'sort of' forced them out. He has yet to do anything with the band in 4 years and there's 0 news about it. It's for the better imo, Spiritbox is better. 

Yeah I even tried that last IWABO record and wasn't a big fan because the moments I loved were too short and few and far between. Definitely an ancestor of this project though. I'm glad that douche more or less pushed them out of the band because Spiritbox, this early in, is already way more entertaining than IWABO has ever been for me.

Oh they are so good. Much yes.

FEATURED ALBUM • THE COLOURIST // SELF-TITLED • Indie Rock
DOWNLOAD