Rorschach

Periphery - Periphery IV: HAIL STAN (2019)

175 posts in this topic

heard it all before, hard pass

Other Releases by

Incredible album. The whole band just blows me away every time

27 minutes ago, LinaK said:

heard it all before,

agreed, but the only reason that's worth mentioning is in contrast to all the hype. 

if I listen to it as just an album, not trying to reinvent the genre, it's pretty damn good. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds like Spencer didn't try all that hard with the vocals? idk.. instrumentals are good.. just not feeling it this time around.

• Confused 1

I almost forgot how amazing these guys are. Another great album to add to their collection.

• Upvote 1

Stan is being hailed. A lot of different directions here, moments that go as far as to remind me of BTBAM. Time will tell how well it holds up, but impressed on listen no. 1.

• Upvote 2

I learned to be a mannequin

https://www.last.fm/user/vbooy57

https://rateyourmusic.com/~vbooy57

Please make fun of me

I've had Reptile, It's Only Smiles, Sentient Glow and Satellites on repeat the last few days.  Good stuff.

If I like those songs a lot (the more clean vocal/hook heavy catchier stuff)... are there other highlights song-wise in Periphery's discog that sound like them?  Wouldn't mind getting some more to listen to but there's a lot of albums/music to sift through from them.

• Upvote 1

Killer album! Their instrumentalists have always been other worldly. Anyone know the meaning behind Hail Stan?

18 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I've had Reptile, It's Only Smiles, Sentient Glow and Satellites on repeat the last few days.  Good stuff.

If I like those songs a lot (the more clean vocal/hook heavy catchier stuff)... are there other highlights song-wise in Periphery's discog that sound like them?  Wouldn't mind getting some more to listen to but there's a lot of albums/music to sift through from them.

Lune, Masamune, and Erised are the first few that come to my mind

• Upvote 1

On 4/5/2019 at 8:09 PM, Dreakon13 said:

I recommend Catch Fire, Scarlet, Alpha, Absolomb, and Lune in that order

• Upvote 1

These cleans make me wanna commit deaf

Them guitar djont djonts are real nice though

4 minutes ago, CheekyJeste said:

These cleans make me wanna commit deaf

Them guitar djont djonts are real nice though

If you think his clean are bad you deserve to go deaf

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, DORBUSCUS said:

If you think his clean are bad you deserve to go deaf

Okay buddy, go back to watching RWBY u big smelly nerd

I may go back on my word and say this is their best album. Cant stop jammin it. Definitely on my buy soon list.

tumblr_mb34zsMLZ51r74zpdo1_500.gif

Time to give a full opinion on P4. 

Short version: It's fucking amazing. 

Long version: 

Reptile - Magnum Opus, has beaten both Racecar and Omega in...pretty much everything. It's heavy, it's melodic, it's chaotic, it's eerie..it's like they took all the things that makes Periphery awesome and fused it into this beast. Definitely my favorite song on this album.

Not gonna say anything too much about Blood Eagle and Garden in The Bones, only that they were probably the best choices for singles and that they are, obviously, sick.

If you think you can get a breather after Reptile and Blood Eagle, welp no? CHVRCH BVRNER slaps you harder than a god damn comet. Fast, heavy, reckless and relentless, chaotic...all the words that have to do with "chaos" basically work. And that eerie dupstep-like ending was a nice touch aswell. Matt probably had fun drumming this one. 

It's Only Smiles...more like, "It's Only Beautiful". It's like they took Catch Fire and gave it a new paint. It's epic, it's melodic af and goes into tearjerker-mode near the end. If you think "whoa, but this is the most beautiful thing on the album, right?", Satellites would want to have a word with you. 

Follow Your Ghost is just dirty. Heavy as fuck, a slow burner, kinda like a second "The Bad Thing". Ending goes hard, when Spencer suddenly screams "YOUR HERO FALLS!!" in an act of frustration...followed by a guitar solo so powerful...yeah, it's so powerful. 

If you think the next one will slap into your face again, you're right, but not in a way you expect. "Crush" is the seventh song on the album and...it's electronic? It's more of a electronic rock side of sound, that doesn't really fit into the album if you read this here, but trust me, it very well does. There's some prog, of course leaking out here and there...and then there's that orchestral ending where you're just endlessly confused, something you would hear playing during an unsettling ballet. 

"Yeah, but is there a song like Periphery II on here?" Of fucking course, Sentient Glow. This sounds like something akin to a Scarlet Part 2. It's fast, pretty cool, melodic, boppin' and is also the song that brought Spencer into the band. Originally born as an Haunted Shores demo, the song made the jump and honestly, Spence nailed it better than Chris Baretto. Though nothing against Chris, he's a good vocalist in his own right. 

We've been through hell, through heaven, so...what could be coming next? A closer with a length of 9:25, Satellites is just pure atmospheric djent. It starts off calm, chill, y'know a song you would love to hear when you're outside at night. And then 4:33 comes around. It gets heavy, kinda tragic sounding and Spencer just seems to have no chill on his vocal range anymore. Everyone gives their best one last time and once you think it's over and you're satisfied...Jake leaves you out with one last message... "Suck my balls." And then you're going to laugh because you did not expect this to happen in an overly serious album. 

Overall, Periphery can't seem to chill with evolving - this album is a similar level to Periphery III, but probably has even beaten P3 for many. It really combines a lot of their past sounds into one album - and it's beautiful. I'm truly impressed with this band, it feels like "disappointing" isn't even a word for them. They simply can't, no matter how hard they try.

10/10. Album of the year 2019 for me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I watched you burning every bridge, then blame the smoke for your eyes burning.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:32 PM, peperonikiller said:

Sounds like Spencer didn't try all that hard with the vocals? idk.. instrumentals are good.. just not feeling it this time around.

He did NOT try? 

Satellites?

• Upvote 1

Anybody else STILL taking in how amazing this album is? Still a MASSIVE AOTY Contender for me

• Upvote 4

ezgif-4-691fb700c39e.gif.3ecc240b91235490915e500fd7210f2a.gif

Just now, Prototype539 said:

Anybody else STILL taking in how amazing this album is? Still a MASSIVE AOTY Contender for me

Dope record, but I personally think Reptile and Satellites (and maybe Blood Eagle) kinda-hard carry the rest of the record.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Prototype539 said:

It's one of my favorite albums of 2019. Periphery never fail to drop an amazing album, it seems.

• Upvote 1

The purest, non-conformist jaded subhuman terrorist.

17 minutes ago, Prototype539 said:

Still AOTY for me and I doubt it'll change.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Prototype539 said:

Hell yeah dude. Certainly an AOTY contender, and Reptile is 100% SOTY for me. 

hail steven 

yeah epic

My favourite part is the last seconds of Satellites if you know what i mean. Joke aside, yeah good records for sure like always.