LKA

In Flames - I, The Mask (Bonus Track Edition) (2019)

What would you rate In Flames - I, The Mask out of 10?  

440 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rate In Flames - I, The Mask out of 10?

64 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Buttercup420 said:

Call My Name might be the best song theyve made in over a decade. That being said, this is a good (not great) album. Its better than Battles, IMO. Ive been listening to In Flames religiously since Clayman came out in 2000. Ive really been hoping they would go back to their heavier roots, but I just dont see that happening anymore. They seem to be content making heavy radio rock, and thats fine, theyre good at it. But damn I miss the aggression of their old stuff.

I wish more people would accept what IF are doing the way this guy does ?

• Love 1

Other Releases by

Ok this Record  is something  else I mean I had some expectations coming  from them but for them to comeback heavier like this still as keeping  their new sound is quite sweet. As much as I love their old content  new In Flames rocks hard and this new Record  is a great  example  of a band coming  from deep Melo death roots evolving  through  the years but still keeping  some elements that made them renowned and adding it to the modern era of music.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

the first third of this was really promising and was basically them trying to replicate their ~2005 greatness with more singing, but then the rest of the album is just as mediocre as Battles, they need to either take a long long break from releasing albums or just tour only.

• Upvote 3

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

Im happy with this. I enjoyed Battles, it wasn't horrible. I kinda like their new sound a lot more. This will get lots of hate but the more bands evolve and mix up their sounds lately, I feel it gets easier to understand the lyrics written. Loving the use of more clean vocals on this. Aside from them sounding more "appropriate for Radio" this is still quite the banger of an album. Pretty damn heavy for an Alternative Metal album lmao. IF can still deliver. Woot woot. :wub:

Thank you @LKA :)

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Buttercup420 said:

Call My Name might be the best song theyve made in over a decade. That being said, this is a good (not great) album. Its better than Battles, IMO. Ive been listening to In Flames religiously since Clayman came out in 2000. Ive really been hoping they would go back to their heavier roots, but I just dont see that happening anymore. They seem to be content making heavy radio rock, and thats fine, theyre good at it. But damn I miss the aggression of their old stuff.

Couldn't have said it better. 

2019 In Flames are just a bunch of middle aged dudes having a good time and enjoying the ride, but obviuosly when you have such a back catalog of music.. well comparisons are wasted, fans will always hope for a Clayman or Come Clarity 2.0, that will never happen, and that leaves them disappointed. I think the right approach to their new music, is to just listen to it for what it is and be content, comparisons would always ruin whatever they'd put out otherwise.

• Upvote 1

2.gif.4452593f36a2f3505101a484f098740c.gif

I'd love to hear a "Come Clarity 2.0" also. it had some huuuuuuge choruses. Even tracks like "Alias" that came afterwards. However, i'm still happy to hear anything new from them after releasing 13 full lengths. I was afraid they would break up when Jesper left in 2010. Anders still has a great voice and everything they release is pretty enjoyable

Just saw them live last night with All that Remains.  Solid show but they played 90% of their 90 min set from Sirens, Battles, and the new album.  Cloud Connected and My Sweet Shadow were probably the only two other notable songs.  Anders did a ton of rambling between songs and I was just waiting for anything from Reroute to Remain, Soundtrack, or Come Clarity and it never really happened.  I think they are content with playing the new material live just as much as they are content with the direction their albums are going.  At least they are standing by what they are writing and promoting that at the shows, however a better mix of their best work would have been nice.

I haven't listened to this yet but anxiously await doing so tonight.  If it is even slightly better than Sirens and Battles it's a win

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Taylor Swift said:

Still not quite a fan of the the recent works as a whole, this is alright but I really only find myself loving this album when it gets into it's heavier parts. The softer stuff just doesn't feel very memorable for me. Not a bad album in my opinion, just a miss for me.

Same

tumblr_mb34zsMLZ51r74zpdo1_500.gif

My little review:

Voices- Awesome!

I, The Mask- Awesome!

Call My Name- It works

I Am Above- Awesome!

Follow Me- Well.. not my taste. But it works.

(This Is Our) House- takes time to get use to.

We Will Remember- Cool song!

In This Life- Really relaxing song.

Burn- Intense, but cool.

Deep Inside- Well.. i get a little of indian vibes to it.

All the Pain- It works

Stay with Me- Reminds me a little from Come Clarity song.

Not Alone- It works

*Heaviest Songs for me is Voices, I, The Mask, I Am Above & Burn.*

To be fully honest, i wished the album was waaay more heavier.

My favorite albums is: Soundtrack To Your Escape, Come Clarity & A Sense Of Purpose.

4 hours ago, charger13 said:

Just saw them live last night with All that Remains.  Solid show but they played 90% of their 90 min set from Sirens, Battles, and the new album.  Cloud Connected and My Sweet Shadow were probably the only two other notable songs.  Anders did a ton of rambling between songs and I was just waiting for anything from Reroute to Remain, Soundtrack, or Come Clarity and it never really happened.  I think they are content with playing the new material live just as much as they are content with the direction their albums are going.  At least they are standing by what they are writing and promoting that at the shows, however a better mix of their best work would have been nice.

I haven't listened to this yet but anxiously await doing so tonight.  If it is even slightly better than Sirens and Battles it's a win

Did they do Only For The Weak? I’ve seen them multiple times and that’s always a live favorite, but it’s been a few years since the last time I saw them so they may be phasing out a lot of the older favorites.

37 minutes ago, SPITRIX said:

My little review:

Voices- Awesome!

I, The Mask- Awesome!

I Am Above- Awesome!

Burn- Intense, but cool.

All the Pain- It works

Not Alone- It works

My favorite albums is: Soundtrack To Your Escape, Come Clarity & A Sense Of Purpose.

I fucking love the slower ones <3 "Follow Me, Stay with Me"

• Upvote 1

Is it any good? Been disappointed with them with their last few albums.

1 hour ago, Buttercup420 said:

Did they do Only For The Weak? I’ve seen them multiple times and that’s always a live favorite, but it’s been a few years since the last time I saw them so they may be phasing out a lot of the older favorites.

Unfortunately nope.  I love that one and they skipped playing a ton of good songs.  On top of which they played no encore!!!!  They played "The End" as the last song and then walked off and never came back on.  I have never seen a band not come back on.  

17 hours ago, Buttercup420 said:

Call My Name might be the best song theyve made in over a decade.

I couldn't agree more.

I gotta say, I simply loved this album!

It's got some awesome songs, some very good songs, and some songs that are not bad.

Apart from This is Our House, which is like pop-metal (to say the least), there's no bad song. The slow ballads are ok, nothing special but not bad.

Call My Name, I Am Above and Burn are my favorites, followed by I The Mask, Follow Me and Voices.

The rest are those not-bad-but-nothing-awesome songs.

5bb9240f905f7_sign_klbcopy.png.507197f54fe9eb4609577cfc46be599f.png

"This pain is a sickness, looming over me and I can't escape it

Casting shadows that continue to shape who I am on any given day"

Call My Name:
"Sometimes I'm angry
And some days I'm totally numb
I just wanna give it all I got"

What the fuck is that? My Chemical Romance?!

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, SPITRIX said:

My little review:

Voices- Awesome!

I, The Mask- Awesome!

I Am Above- Awesome!

Burn- Intense, but cool.

All the Pain- It works

Not Alone- It works

You missed Call my Name

Off-topic but are they DMCAing this album? Already Zippy links are down.

Amazing album. I didnt like House, in this Life and not alone. Rest of the songs are so damn good! 8/10

18 minutes ago, sharkcore said:

Amazing album. I didnt like House, in this Life and not alone. Rest of the songs are so damn good! 8/10

These two songs sound exactly the same, they are painfully average, the rest is amazing, great or solid :) 
7.5/10 for me

This band has one of the worst fanbases I've ever seen, yes they've made a couple of miss-steps with their past work, Siren Charms was mostly bad, but there are couple of good songs, Battles was even worse than that, but The End is my all time favourite song if I'm being honest :D I took couple of tracks from both albums and I'm playing them since then :) but Anders is extremelly talented guy with godly voice, so I'll always be a fan of him, I love their past works, my all time favourite is Come Clarity...speaks to me the most, but I'm not gonna SHIT on them just because they kinda layed off the Melodic Death Metal route...I would like to have it back, but past is probably sadly dead and we all should deal with it, constant hate and spits are not gonna change ANY FUCKING THING and it's slowly getting old and cringy...

Okay so...here is review for newcomer to their discography "I, the Mask"

1. Voices [4,5/5] (Totally cool start of this album)

2. I, The Mask [5/5] (No doubts, best one in a long long time)

3. Call My Name [4/5] (I really like this track, the vocal harmonies and overall feeling put through)

4. I Am Above [4/5] (First single, grew on me fast, this one is very good)

5. Follow Me [5/5] (Stellar mix of acoustic and electric guitar)

6. (This is Our) House [2,5/5] (I mean, it's not the worst thing ever, it has actually nice melody, but lyrics are a letdown, even tho it's a shoutout to fans)

7. We Will Remember [3,5/5] (Kinda grew on me after couple of listens, nice mention of past here)

8. In This Life [3/5] (This one is alright, cannot tell much about it)

9. Burn [3,5/5] (Cut out the repetition and you have solid track with pretty good instrumental)

10. Deep Inside [4/5] (I just cannot get into the chorus)

11. All The Pain [3,5/5] (I like the intro and overall atmosphere in this song, if only this was a bit heavier)

12. Stay With Me [5/5] ("And I should learn to let this go, and I will never let you go"...haha, jokes aside, amazing ballad, that screaming finale)
13. Not Alone [2/5] (Skip this...kinda worthless bonus track)

FINAL VERDICT:

★★★★☆ 76,15%

• Upvote 1

First half of this album was amazing! Second half was decent. Good stuff overall. 

In Flames Review:
voices - 5/5
I, The Mask - 4.5/5
Call my name - 4/5
I am Above - 4.5/5
Follow me - 4.5/5
(This is Our) House - 5/5
We Will Remember - 4.5/5
In this life - 4.5/5
Burn - 2/5
Deep Inside - 5/5
All The pain - 3.5/5
Stay with me - 4/5

Such a great album check it out guys. Maybe a album of the month contender

This starts. So strong. The first couple of tracks are absolutely amazing to hear. But then it just falls so hard on it's face, manages to barrel down the steps, then land on it's ass. 

THIS IS BANGERS FRONT TO BACK

FreePSP.gif

As someone who has been following In Flames since 2006 and accepted every bit of love and hate they get, I was very impressed and pleased with this album. Siren Charms was the clearcut worst album they have ever done, it's really not even close (althought Lunar Strain actually sucks too). I was very concerned after that release that it was time to call it quits. I enjoyed Battles, and felt they did some newer things that didn't necessarily work, but they weren't afraid of risks anymore. It's been clear that was an issue with albums that are looked as as "masterpieces" now with ASOP and SOAPF.  Songs like Before I Fall and In My Room were forgotten jams from that album and should have really gotten more recognition.

As for this album, I really only found two songs that stood out as, alright not for me. This Is (Our House) is pretty much the biggest bit of bait for a reason to hate what In Flames has become, and All The Pain just didn't flow well. The rest of the album? Great work. Many solid tracks here that have already been mentioned but I felt the need to comment as I don't think Anders is going to get enough credit for the effort put into Stay With Me. I did not think in any way shape or form he was capable of singing in a ballad form that cleanly and logically. It's not perfect, but about as good as you can possibly expect. When he has tried it before (The Chosen Pessimist, Wallflower) they ended up dragging too long and not showcasing his voice's progression (yet it's also a regression let's be real)

Couple days late on this really but I just felt the need to get out some opinions of support for these guys. They were my nucleus of metal and allowed me to branch out into other genres so I will always love them for that.

Top 3 

I, The Mask

I Am Above

Stay With Me