BenjaminBurnley

Bring Me the Horizon - amo (2019)

291 posts in this topic

Album is definetly better listening all the way through than skimming. 

People that think they'll lose financially are retarded though. Masses will eat this shit up. Linkin park, sugar ray, 30 seconds to Mars all blew up the less metal/rock they became. 

Other Releases by

16 minutes ago, sharkcore said:

Beautiful album! Very fresh and diverse!

My AOTY for sure, better than TTS. 

it's january

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, sharkcore said:

My AOTY for sure

AgonizingWelloffHousefly-size_restricted.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Uncreation said:

amazing :lol:

• Upvote 1

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

2 minutes ago, Uncreation said:

damn, we didn't get a FYiJ this year did we?

Not horrible.

Mantra, Medicine and Mother Tongue are all boring and I still haven't fully made it through any of them.

Heavy Metal was yucky.

The good parts of the album seem more like remixes than real songs, and honestly that's fine. Oli used a lot of vocal effects throughout the album, and I think that might have made it MORE bearable. I did audibly groan multiple times throughout the album, mainly heavy metal and few shit parts of songs (Wonderful Life or whatever it's called.)

Meh, 5.5/10.

I'd say it's an absolute evolution of how they sounded on TTS. Not one song really sounds the same. But the entire album still manages to have more fluency than half of the core releases from last year. Mother Tongue is the only real poppy song and even then it isn't actually bad. It's not great. But it's not bad.
Nihilist Blues was pretty cool as a synth/EDM song and from an experimental stand point. Also that bass section is awesome, the only complsom to i would give Nihilist Blues is that it drags on way too long. 
The way the song is should not have been surprising for anyone who knows Grimes 
The rest of the album is full of stand out tracks. In the Dark is alt rock and sounds like something you'd hear on a Sick Puppies or TOP ecord if you swapped the vocals.
SHIT and Kick Me had some awesome nods to Sempiternal sounds as well

I'd say 8/10

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I’m surprised. In a good way. Except the poppy songs (in the dark, medicine and mother tongue) that I cannot stand, the 2 interlude (fresh bruises and ouch) that didn’t really get me in any way, the rest of the album is really interesting, a lot electronic and experimental. I’m in love with ‘I apologise if I feel something’, good vibes and crazy production, ‘why are you gonna kick me when I’m down’, so experimental but really really we’ll done and ‘I don’t what to say’.

Nihilist blues and sugar honey ice & tea are really nice as well. It could be worse

Holy shit I wasn't expecting to love this album as much as I did. I'm somewhat surprised at the number of negative opinions but each to their own :)

I can't believe there are so many genres on here and they still manage to find a way to make it work! (imo of course)

Of course the lyrics are still very much lacking in some places but I don't come to Bring Me for any profound meaningful lyrics, I go to Silent Planet and Architects for that.

I also feel this is the first time I have thought Oli Sykes is a talented musician (no disrespect to him) so I am incredible impressed with this album and genuinely believe it's one of their best and certainly their most unique.

Track Opinions (not with ratings. Sorry for the long post :|):

i apologise if you feel something - I don't have too strong an opinion on this track but I am a big fan of the vocals and the tiny string section at the end. Good at getting a crowd ready for the next track...

MANTRA - A belter and even better live. I've been loving this track since it came out and is my tied favourite single. The scream after the first chorus reaaaally caught me off guard. I wasn't a huge fan of the very upbeat poppy bridge at first but after listening to the other tracks I don't mind it at all anymore and really appreciate this track.

nihilist blues (feat. Grimes) - After hearing the preview and some descriptions of the track I thought this would be one of my least favourites on this album so I am very surprised to say it's the opposite. I'm a very metalcore kinda guy and stay as far away from pop and electrics as possible but I am in love with this song. This is my favourite in terms of Oli's vocal ability. The falsetto's are absolutely incredible. Also I will be upset if this song doesn't move entire buildings with the amount of bass it has. I thought FEVER were a fan of bass on the tour but I am hyped to hear this one live!

in the dark - Very catchy. Not too big a fan of the chorus but the verses are calm and nice. I preferred the small preview more. Not one of my favourites but not one I hate. Again I am impressed at Oli's clean melodical singing ability compared to times where he kinda speaks loudly to the mic in one note. Very nice to relax to although not incredibly memorable (as of right now - a few more listens may change that) and as such is one of my least favourites on the album

wonderful life (feat. Dani Filth) - This is definitely up there with my favourites on the album and can't decide between this and MANTRA as my favourite single. When I first heard it I was immediately caught off guard by the meaty as fuck riff and have loved the song since. May or may not have hurt my neck headbanging to this one live in Glasgow. The lyrics are a bit garbage but as I said above I'm not expecting anything else. The instrumentals definitely make up for that imo. My favourite part of this track is definitely the final chorus with the trumpety section

ouch - Like i apologise I don't have too many strong feelings on this track due to its short length. At first it reminded my of a P!ATD song so I wasn't really on board to begin with. One of my least favourites on the album due to my lukewarm feelings on it.

medicine - The more I listen to this track the more it grows on me, like a fair few on this album (nihilist, tongue). The vocals are amazing and by far my favourite part of the track. I don't have much opinions on the instrumentals as they seem quite generic chart-topping rock but the catchiness of the chorus is enough for me to love it :)

sugar honey ice & tea - One of my faves. If you haven't gathered already my favourite songs are the ones with catchy meaty riffs and this is certainly one of them. The effect on the vocals during the chorus is certainly unique but I'm not sure if I'm a huge fan. Definitely prefer the verses and again that's where Oli truly shines. The last minute or so gave me Sempiternal vibes with Oli's screaming and might be my favourite part of the album but we'll have to wait and see...

why you gotta kick me when i'm down - Seems I am not as much of a fan of this as others. Feels like a generic rap song that you'd hear on the radio and not what I look for in this band. I constantly mock songs where the "singer" speaks a sentence in the mic really fast with no vocal range so this is of course gonna be one of my least favourites. I appreciate the fact they are still experimenting with their sound but don't feel this one works all that well. The last 30 seconds or so with the beat are alright but other than that, not much I enjoy with this one.

fresh bruises - This track is very repetitive for its length so again I'm not feeling too strongly about it. I get this and ouch act as intermission tracks but I don't really feel the need for them to be there so are near the bottom of my ranking, understandably. I guess the drums are alright.

mother tongue - Like medicine I wasn't too fond of this one when I first heard it but the more I listen to it the more I love it - so much so it's been the only song in my head all day. Again like medicine this song is painfully catchy and Oli's vocals are again on point. I hope this song and album gets Bring Me the mainstream recognition they deserve. If they aren't high up the charts with this release I will be very surprised and I don't see where some people are coming from thinking this will lose them a lot of money.

heavy metal (feat. Rahzel) - Up there with SHIT as one of my faves. Really meaty riff that I can see going down incredibly well at a live show. I love how this is a total middle finger to all the 12 year old instagram "fans" that seem to lynch them for every risk they take in their music styles. Perhaps my favourite feature on the album as Rahzel's voice is so awesome and the beatbox section is pretty neato burrito :lol: Also fuck me that last section gives me chills

i don't know what to say - Let me say I am a sucker for strings and this track hits all the right spots for me. I feel this is similar to 'A Wasted Hymn' from 'Holy Hell' with the fact it's a relatively calm track heavily featuring strings where the vocalist truly gets to shine with their cleans. One of my faves... on both albums... (sorry for the Architects circlejerk)

As you can tell I don't have much technical knowledge when it comes to music so most of my opinions are quite surface level and not very unique but I wanted to share my thoughts :)

While this is a great album imo, it's definitely a bit early to call AOTY. There's still 11 months of greatness left hopefully including a new Northlane release so let's calm it a bit :lol:

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

This is wonderful  and I didnt expect to enjoy it.

8.5/10.

Much better than TTS, even one of their best albums I'd say

• Haha 1

I hated TTS and this album makes that album  a masterpiece.

none of it is just interesting to me, besides S.H.I.T. Nothing sticks and it’s all not catchy and boring

too much filler, editing, voice effects. Probably won’t spin this album again. 

Im sorry ive never been a huge BMTH fan. Semp and TTS were decent enough tho. This new record tho is just something I cant fully get into. Are there some cool synthy pop tracks? Well yes more than some. Do the more instrument based songs (very few) all sound very similar? Definitely. Is it all bad? absolutely not! Like linkin parks last record I just cant get behind any band ditching there instruments like that when that is the main thing that drew most people in the first place.  Now this isnt exactly as an extreme departure as one more light tho. Id compare it more to incubus last album. Where the good parts are good but very few and between and just makes you yearn for more. 

I feel that the album should be 2 songs longer, and I'd prefer if those two tracks were in line with MANTRA and Wonderful Life.  When I first saw the tracklist month(s) ago, I didn't realize there were interludes.  When you really think of it, the album is really 10 songs, with two of those being pop-type songs (which I actually enjoy).  If the album was 12 tracks with 3 interludes, I think I'd be more open to the electronic tracks.  I enjoyed the interludes, but I don't like the fact that they take the place of actual full-length tracks.  I love the experimentation, but it just felt too short on the heavy end.  That being said, MANTRA and Wonderful Life are probably better than anything on TTS.  I still listen to a few tracks off of TTS a lot, so this already almost matches that album for me and would match it completely if there were a couple more heavy songs.  

This album really reminds me of Don Broco's Technology album.  Experimental. I only listen to a couple songs off of that album, but I liked it.  I bet I'll probably do the same for this one.  TTS felt like BMTH were going for a definite Hard Rock sound, and this album feels more like Sempiternal with the electronic stuff.

ahm
i'm so confused about this album 

I can't wait for Kidz Bop to cover these.

• Haha 1

Honestly really digging this new sound. It's a lot softer than anything they've put out in the past, but it works in their favor in my opinion.  With that said I still enjoy That's The Spirit a little more, but maybe that'll change with some more listens.

@suckmywaifu my man NL LP5 will be critically acclaimed and will finally cement Marcus as the ultimate Northlane (and one of the best metalcore) vocalist. Mark my fucking words.

• Upvote 1

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

I was really hoping there'd be at least one good song. I should've known better. I thought all the singles were bad, but god at least Mantra and A Wonderful Life had a little riffage. This is just a straight up pop album. I'd rather listen to That's the Spirit and I hated that album too. Aside from True Friends. That was the last BMTH song I can say I enjoyed.

I hate to be that guy, but this album fucking sucks. This is coming from someone who really likes That’s The Spirit. This album has five good songs. The rest are a waste of time. 

39 minutes ago, desk said:

@suckmywaifu my man NL LP5 will be critically acclaimed and will finally cement Marcus as the ultimate Northlane (and one of the best metalcore) vocalist. Mark my fucking words.

I came into NL with Mesmer (Deluxe Edition hype) and then went back to Node so to me he's always been the ultimate :lol: Seeing their teases on social media is killing me inside

I'm sorry, I hate to be that guy, but what was the hype around this record for? Was it because it was a BMTH album? I enjoyed Wonderful Life a shit ton, but nothing else really stood out to me. The band did what any other band did - They evolved their sound, changed things up. They took their roots, flipped then upside down, inside out, but for what? In my opinion, the record is mediocre at best. There weren't any memorable songs or anything that I'd return to. 

In my own personal opinion, I just dislike the album entirely. It just feels like they're pushing to much just to be ahead of their time. I personally feel like the reason WHY this album is going to blow up is simply for the fact that 1) it's Bring Me the Horizon and 2) because of how much controversy it'll spark. I'll give it another listen or two to see if anything grows on me, but this isn't really an album I enjoyed or will enjoy. For those that do, there's no shame or no hate. I do like the diversity and change of pace. But it just isn't for me.

• Upvote 2

Don't get me wrong, I love this album.

But how can anyone say this is AOTY when Black Veil Brides is re-recording their debut this year?

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MyTearsYW said:

Don't get me wrong, I love this album.

But how can anyone say this is AOTY when Black Veil Brides is re-recording their debut this year?

LOOOOOOOOOL

• Haha 1

Dead serious though, BVB's re-recording finna be a hit.

Breakdowns gonna hit like a truck.

2 minutes ago, MyTearsYW said:

Dead serious though, BVB's re-recording finna be a hit.

Breakdowns gonna hit like a truck.

Lmao... Ever heard of Converge?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lelouch6661 said:

Lmao... Ever heard of Converge?

I've met Jacob Bannon, why?

Just now, MyTearsYW said:

I've met Jacob Bannon, why?

Was just wondering why'd you claim BVB breakdowns would "hit like a truck". 

Just now, Lelouch6661 said:

Was just wondering why'd you claim BVB breakdowns would "hit like a truck". 

I mean, Jane Doe by Converge is one of my favorite albums of all time.

But Feldmann's production job on BVB's Vale gives the guitars an oomph that I haven't heard any other bands really capture, and he's returning to produce the re-recording.