Chief

2018 Album of the Year - Poll Results

2018 Album of the Year  

1,214 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which release should win the 2018 Album of the Year?

• The Plot In You - Dispose
    • Dance Gavin Dance - Artificial Selection
    • Of Mice & Men - Defy
    • Beartooth - Disease
    • State Champs - Living Proof
    • Don Broco - Technology
    • blessthefall - Hard Feelings
    • Ice Nine Kills - The Silver Scream
    • Parkway Drive - Reverence
    • Casey - Where I Go When I Am Sleeping
    • Underoath - Erase Me
    • Trash Boat - Crown Shyness
    • The Story So Far - Proper Dose
    • Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
    • Erra - Neon
    • Silent Plant - When the End Began
    • Fit For a King - Dark Skies
    • Greyhaven - Empty Black
    • Chelsea Grin - Eternal Nightmare
    • twentyonpilots - Trench
    • Breaking Benjamin - Ember
    • Between the Buried and Me - Automata
    • Architects - Holy Hell
    • Slaves - Beautiful Death

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/15/2019 at 03:00 PM

71 posts in this topic

Just now, Maagg said:

Daughters won that for me. I can't get into Architects after Hollow Crown. They are nothing special anymore imo. 

Rolo Tomassi for me.  Daughters was like #12 for me.  Shame that the truly magical albums were omitted and all the genericore albums sweeped everything else.

1 hour ago, xcblackdiamond said:

Architects put out their worst album imo. One of the more uninspired metalcore records I've listened to, at least with respect to their potential. And Sam had easily his worst showing consistently, except Doomsday which is easily the best song and was released way before the album cycle. But alas, it won, which is fine I suppose. 

EDIT: I voted for top not expecting it to win, but TRASH BOAT DESERVED MORE VOTES. It was my #2 on the year.

Totally agree with you on Trash Boat. It was my #1 AOTY. Perfect in every way! Lyrically, could not have been any better!!! 

1 minute ago, SpicyPikachu said:

Rolo Tomassi for me.  Daughters was like #12 for me.  Shame that the truly magical albums were omitted and all the genericore albums sweeped everything else.

Rolo Tomassi is probably my top 3, 

but i can't see them here...

Yo, check out my vocal covers! :)

https://soundcloud.com/maagh

i knew architects would win but INK really deserves it. holy hell was alright, but too similar to their last album, whereas the silver scream just had flawless production, interesting music, a fun and perfectly executed concept. 

• Love 1

An okay album won the AOTY over some AWESOME albums. Good I guess.

• Confused 1

I feel like Holy Hell won JUST because it’s Architects. Silent Planet and Ice Nine Kills released huge albums. I voted for When The End Began, that album is just a game changer honestly and I can see now it’s way underrated. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

I'm happy Architects won. They would have been my 2nd choice. Glad we got a great album for album of the year.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Personally I felt Mayday Parade should have been in the voting because Sunnyland was amazing. 

Personally I felt Mayday Parade should have been in the voting because Sunnyland was amazing. 

• Upvote 1

tumblr_mjonoznuZD1r3kb9mo1_500.gif

Lol no way this was album of the year 

• Upvote 2

First of all, what is the freaking obsession with DGD. Seriously. Whatever. 

Second of all, would it kill you guys to put this in order from 1-XXX

Next, this is a dumb list. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

God the amount of edgy kids and people who think they have the universal truth about everything... What is happening to this community 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I voted for Daugthers, it was one of the most unique album/experience i've had listening to that thing, 10/10, but i didn't expect to came in fourth, now last year was a great year in music for me, but it was the most disappointing year for the big core releases, what a letdown (Beartooth, The Plot In You, Memphis May Fire, blessthefall, Of Mice & Men, Parkway Drive), but it had some surprises, 2018 was the year of Metal, Hip-Hop and Experimental music for me, Obscura, Beyond Creation, UADA, Portal, Horrendous, Inferi, Alterbeast, Judas Priest, Denzel Curry, Frontierer, Sectioned, The Armed, JPEGMAFIA, Kids See Ghosts, J.I.D, Deafheaven, Daughters were some of the highlights for me.

I think Kingdom Leaks is much more of a core Scene community, i thougth the Ice Nine Kills was really good, and i enjoyed a great deal of the Fit For a King and Dance Gavin Dance, but the only big release i kept returning to, was The Silver Scream, great album. Architects were not bad, but it wasn't great either, it was meh.

Heres to a great 2019 in music.

• Upvote 4

zzzzzz129.jpg

6 minutes ago, KatoMacabre said:

God the amount of edgy kids and people who think they have the universal truth about everything... What is happening to this community

it always happens, not only on this site or in music

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Was hoping INK but Architects did release a pretty good album awesome job Architects!

• Upvote 1

ezgif-4-691fb700c39e.gif.3ecc240b91235490915e500fd7210f2a.gif

I wanted to see Erra or The Story So Far up there in the top 5, but I can't be mad at the new Architects record. It was good.

Honestly almost all the 2018 releases were a big meh. Architects's album didnt blow my mind, but it's the best of that list for sure.

Congrats to them

• Downvote 1

Really wish Hopesfall was up there imo. I’m fine with Architects winning tbh.

For me it was close between The Silver Scream and Holy Hell, glad to see them both in the top 3.

Holy Hell won? Jeeeez. I thought nobody really picked it up.

Mine would've been Time, The Valuator. But it wasn't on here. 

• Upvote 2

Breaking Benjamin, Alkaline Trio and Don Broco for sure. Great FULL albums. the only reason Ice Nine Kills is up there, because it's a more recent listen. It's a very cheesy, generic album to me. Will be forgotten over time

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I respect the boys in Architects, but there was way better choices.. I might sound like an ass, but I feel like most people are clouded by their emotions about Tom’s passing... I’m sure many voted just because Architects show great courage by keep going as a band after suffering such a huge loss. Also I think it’s laughable that hating on DGD has become such a trend. They make some of the catchiest stuff out there, but yeah, this is my own personal opinion.. But, I’m also realistic and really don’t think the music they make can be seen as bad if you like catchy post-hardcore.

• Upvote 1

Me being a such Architects super fan wouldn't put Holy Hell as AOTY, for me it was either the Rivers of Nihil or Stellar Circuits albums.

• Upvote 1

I'm questioning the voting for the "AOTY." The qualifications have nothing to do with the actual music, if the band has improved, etc. It's not the "album of the year." It's the "album that more people liked."

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ossy33xxx said:

Breaking Benjamin, Alkaline Trio and Don Broco for sure. Great FULL albums. the only reason Ice Nine Kills is up there, because it's a more recent listen. It's a very cheesy, generic album to me. Will be forgotten over time

I loved Don Broco, but INK as well. I would just like to point out that INK's vocalist has expressed that it is intentionally cheesy and tongue and cheek. I personally think it has a lot of flare and originality, but out of 2 decades worth of metalcore, yeah, the Silver Scream will probably be forgotten.

• Upvote 1

20200902_221303.jpg

Architects, DGD, and INK got the top 3? mad predictable

anyways it's good to see Daughters get 5% i guess

listen to Silent Planet.

Wow.. I expected a better result for Silent Planet. Kinda glad DGD didn't win though, AS was Tillians weakest album. I don't mind Architects winning, Holy Hell was a banger.

• Downvote 2

I'm unsurprised Holy Hell won. I am however surprised Silent Planet wasn't higher. They put out one of the best albums I've ever listened to(honestly miles better than Holy Hell in my opinion).

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2
  • Downvote 1