Lord Kingdom

Crystal Lake - Helix (Deluxe Edition) (2018)

128 posts in this topic

I'm honestly impressed by CL's ability to evolve and experiment without it sounding odd or weird and still keep their core CL sound; it feels like a natural progression that so many other bands fail at. 

• Upvote 4

Other Releases by

8 hours ago, SavageWraith said:

Memes be damned, DGD ain't getting that AOTY this time lol. This shit claps every cheek.

Also DGD was weak af this latest album. I think I like this even more than Geist. Looking back, this has been one hell of a year for music. Cheers KL. Appreciate you.

You need to listen to that DGD again. I also felt it was weak on the first 20 listens. But i returned to it after like a month and it really struck me better than any of their other albums (besides DBM2. DBM2 is gawd).

Still not very sold on downloading this. If y'all can convince me, I'll download it. I want to like this.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, PatientlyDead said:

If y'all can convince me, I'll download it. 

why would I care to do that?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PatientlyDead said:

Still not very sold on downloading this. If y'all can convince me, I'll download it. I want to like this.

The incessant mention of crystal lake on the chat convinced me to check it out, not a single regret for doing so.

Some damn fine metalcore. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you soon much! Was checking every 30 mins for the last few days. Devilcry  @ 2:30 is the heaviest crunchiest tone. Pretty damn good album!!

Pretty decent album but don’t understand why it was hyped so much

• Upvote 2

I dug their last single a lot, let's check this out

Calling this ''decent'' or even ''mediocre''  metalcore makes me wonder.... What are your standards for the genre then ? Genuinely curious, not trying to start anything.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, DekinhoDesu said:

Calling this ''decent'' or even ''mediocre''  metalcore makes me wonder.... What are your standards for the genre then ? Genuinely curious, not trying to start anything.

I don't know how to describe my standards but my taste in Metalcore is indeed slightly different than most peoples, and this album is just about average to me

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, DekinhoDesu said:

I mean, Every time I Die, greyhaven, polaris, cult leader, sectioned, frontierer, unearth, converge, integrity, chamber, dwell, vein, Norma Jean, the chariot, invent animate, August burns red, etc etc, I could go on and on.  Those are all leagues beyond this honestly.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nickelback4Life said:

I mean, Every time I Die, greyhaven, polaris, cult leader, sectioned, frontierer, unearth, converge, integrity, chamber, dwell, vein, Norma Jean, the chariot, invent animate, August burns red, etc etc, I could go on and on.  Those are all leagues beyond this honestly.

This is leagues beyond Unearth, Converge, August Burns Red, Greyhaven, and Norma Jean. In my opinion

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 7

12 minutes ago, Bored To Death said:

This is leagues beyond Unearth, Converge, August Burns Red, Greyhaven, and Norma Jean. In my opinion

Better than converge?

Bruh.

I mean, to each their own.  But still.  Bruuuh.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bored To Death said:

Just now, Nickelback4Life said:

Better than converge?

Bruh.

I mean, to each their own.  But still.  Bruuuh.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
  • Downvote 2

This is decent, but it’s very confusing. They have always done their own thing which I respect and appreciate, but at the same time I wish they would focus their talent and translate it into an album from start to finish. 6/10 from me. 

• Love 1

I know this album is a mixed bag for most people but I honestly really enjoyed it. I liked every track with the exception of Just Confusing because well, it's just confusing to me why they even bothered with that track instead of making another banger. I personally don't think it's their best album (that probably goes to True North) but it's still awesome and shows progression and being able to produce different content while still maintaining their core. They didn't make this album by sacrificing what they're unique sound and identity with this album overall. I always thought some of their older stuff reminded me a little bit of The Ghost Inside (while I still understand both sounds are drastically different) so I love songs with that melodic hardcore vibe like Lost in Forever and Sanctuary. You can tell TGI has clearly been a big influence on them (not to mention the lead singer has sounded super similar to Jonathan Vigil on some of their previous tracks).

I don't think the album is perfect, but its still an awesome album. +81 is getting a lot of hate but I honestly think it sounds really cool. My personal favorites are Agony, Outgrow, Devilcry and Hail to the Fire. I personally think Apollo is probably still the best track they've ever made even after this release. They're halfway across the world I still think they're better than many bands in this genre. They haven't become stagnant or stale and continue to try new things. I'd give the album an 8 or a 9 out of 10 for sure, but I don't think its just mediocre or distant. I can see this band doing even greater things in the future. They definitely have a ton of skill and can't wait to see them live in March!

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, humbleledger said:

why would I care to do that?

don't i guess. kek

• Downvote 2

7 hours ago, Nickelback4Life said:

You listed some top tier stuff but at the same time if you consider Polaris or Invent, Animate amongst the greats, I don't see why you wouldn't find most of this album on a similar level or even better. As I like/love pretty much all the bands you listed and also love Crystal Lake.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Ccallawy34 said:

Pretty decent album but don’t understand why it was hyped so much

Because it fucking slaps. It's because Crystal Lake is kind of like the Linkin Park of metalcore. They blend core genres in a way that seems natural to their sound.

I'm not saying they are like Linkin Park in any other way other than their flexibility and capabilities. The way they mix heavy with electronic and synth. And Ryo has really impressive vocal range.

I love a lot of metalcore bands for example AILD,KSE,PWD,ABR,Architects, KOG, etc. But, CL just fits this wierd desire for metal/deathcore meets electronic but not going full The Browning. CL also has far superior vocal range than the Browning.

At the end of the day it's to each their own of course, but personally I love Crystal Lake. I think it's because they are confident in their sound and skill and can evolve and experiment without sounding forced or like they're selling out like so many bands do.

If it's not as amazing to you that's okay my dude. I'm sure myself and others will jab at you and others for it, but we're all just shitheads haha.

Peace :cowboy:

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2
  • Downvote 3

13 hours ago, PatientlyDead said:

You need to listen to that DGD again. I also felt it was weak on the first 20 listens. But i returned to it after like a month and it really struck me better than any of their other albums (besides DBM2. DBM2 is gawd).

If it's gonna take me 20 listens, in other words several hours, to like that album it's not worth it. Mothership was great the summer single was great. New album is a miss. Got a couple decent songs but falls way short to what I expect from DGD. Sounds more like a Tillian solo project with Jon doing guest vocals. It doesn't feel bouncy or balanced like past work. Doesn't flow. It's not terrible, just not great either. I respect your opinion but will pass on it. Good day to you sir.

• Love 2

29 minutes ago, SavageWraith said:

If it's gonna take me 20 listens, in other words several hours, to like that album it's not worth it.

Several Hours? That's like two workdays.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SavageWraith said:

Because it fucking slaps. It's because Crystal Lake is kind of like the Linkin Park of metalcore. They blend core genres in a way that seems natural to their sound.

I'm not saying they are like Linkin Park in any other way other than their flexibility and capabilities. The way they mix heavy with electronic and synth. And Ryo has really impressive vocal range.

I love a lot of metalcore bands for example AILD,KSE,PWD,ABR,Architects, KOG, etc. But, CL just fits this wierd desire for metal/deathcore meets electronic but not going full The Browning. CL also has far superior vocal range than the Browning.

At the end of the day it's to each their own of course, but personally I love Crystal Lake. I think it's because they are confident in their sound and skill and can evolve and experiment without sounding forced or like they're selling out like so many bands do.

If it's not as amazing to you that's okay my dude. I'm sure myself and others will jab at you and others for it, but we're all just shitheads haha.

Peace :cowboy:

Wow can I buy your book 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, Bored To Death said:

Wow can I buy your book 

"Chapter 1: 'Because it Fucking Slaps'

I love a lot of metalcore bands ..."

1 hour ago, Bored To Death said:

Wow can I buy your book 

Sure

4 hours ago, Desk said:

Several Hours? That's like two workdays.

Yeah fuck that. 

• Love 1

Just now, Bored To Death said:

You know ily

ik

10 hours ago, desk said:

You listed some top tier stuff but at the same time if you consider Polaris or Invent, Animate amongst the greats, I don't see why you wouldn't find most of this album on a similar level or even better. As I like/love pretty much all the bands you listed and also love Crystal Lake.

I definitely don't put those two with the greats, but I certainly put them in the same style of overproduced metalcore as Crystal Lake.  They just do it better.  The vocals are better, the instrumentation is better, the song writing is better.  Crystal Lake has cool parts, but they just tend to mish mash genres for the sake of mish mashing genres.  That doesn't equal good song writing.  When there's random rapping, spoken word, gutterals, it's just corny.  It really just doesn't work well.  They seem to just try too hard to be something "different" in this style of metalcore, and they try too hard to be "heavy".  Like their song "six feet under" I think it's called,  some cool riffs but man, the lyrics are so bad.  Then once the build up and breakdown come in, the lyrics get even more awful.  "STEP THE FUCK UP, BACK THE FUCK UP, GO FUCK YOURSELF MOTHER FUCKER".  Like.  That's just bad haha.  It tries too hard to be edgy, and it comes off completely artificial and laughably hilarious.  They need to take a step back and realize what works and what doesn't.  Unfortunately, most of it doesn't work.

Added The Circle and Machina to the album for a 14 track album, would recommend.