mR12

Favorite Audio Format/Quality?

Favorite Audio Format  

3,450 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite audio format?

• MP3, 320 kbps CBR
    • MP3, V0 VBR
    • MP3, V2 VBR
    • M4A (iTunes)
    • FLAC
    • WAV
    • ALAC
    • OGG
    • Other (Specify in comments)

57 posts in this topic

Could someone please explain to me how V0 might sound better than 320 despite the smaller file size. Is V0 usually a variable bit rate?

If you have minor OCD like me, you want all your files in the same bitrate. Since V0 is harder to come by than 320, I have all my files in 320. Sizeis not really a concern for me.

#2 of 2019 • FOALS // EVERYTHING NOT SAVED WILL BE LOST, PART 1 • Indie Rock, Math Rock
DOWNLOAD

MP3 320kbps for me. Listening on HyperX Cloud and Sennheiser CX 3.00

What a professional. I have a "surround sound" system which features two "professional" amps a "nice" Bose speaker and a tape adapter hooked up to a "loud" boombox. All of that connected by headphone splitters into a Windows XP desktop in my basement.

#2 of 2019 • FOALS // EVERYTHING NOT SAVED WILL BE LOST, PART 1 • Indie Rock, Math Rock
DOWNLOAD

mp3 320 cbr cause its perfect balanceof sound and size of file

This. Also, it's the most compatible with all devices (in PS3, the music in-game only works with MP3).

What's the difference between V0 and V2?

If you have minor OCD like me, you want all your files in the same bitrate. Since V0 is harder to come by than 320, I have all my files in 320. Sizeis not really a concern for me.

When I have a demo song or something like that, when the best quality is shitty 128kbps, I also transcode it to 320, just to see in Windows that all the songs are in 320 :/

Maybe I have an OCD too :huh:

My favorite is when random, shady websites try to make a lower bitrate song 320 kbps, so there are hiccups and pauses in the song every two seconds. I love torturing myself.

Ok, on a more serious note, I have a really hard time trying to differentiate between 320 kbps mp3 and anything lossless. My headphone collection consists of the Audio-Technica AD-700X and the ATH-M50X, as well as some shittier ones, and I can't tell a difference. Most likely my gear isn't good enough. 

Best quality is wav/flac/Alac? (lossless). Minor filesize and "extended", MP3.

You always can convert flac/wav/alac to MP3, but not backwards.

as a working class boy with standard sony earbuds as his go-to listening equipment, 256 kbps mp3 is more than enough for me

"votes other"

The best/only way to experience music is through early youtube MP3 file rips from lyric videos made in microsoft video maker circa 2007-2009. 

• Upvote 1

Depends if i am just listening to an album MP3 is grand but if I am DJing I always use WAV

im too lazy to use anything other than 320 kbps mp3

FLAC if able to choose & my own downloaded stuff, mostly whatever bitrate lingers benneath TIDAL's CD-tag

iTunes has always been my fav. 

as a bonus i like to see the explicit tag initunes for aesthetic purposes 

On 11/20/2017 at 6:48 AM, C.Cannibal said:

"votes other"

The best/only way to experience music is through early youtube MP3 file rips from lyric videos made in microsoft video maker circa 2007-2009. 

omg the memories from y childhood are flooding back sekf srj gyjsr f

• Upvote 1

I never give a fxxk about mp3 since the beginning of my music listening journey. I was a lossless nerd back in the day but now we have iTunes whatever m4a, why not choose it? it's has the quality which is near the lossless (excluding the production problem), and the size is reasonable (which is nearly as big as a 320kbps mp3).

iTunes m4a for the win, FLAC/APE/ALAC/WAV/WV for the backup. btw TTA and WMA lossless are the worst, don't get them.

https://vk.com/akchrm

aac is water, lossless is food, and you'll know what would be the shxt.

On 7/17/2016 at 1:58 PM, Impurity said:

320. Anything beyond that and people are overthinking unless you have bionic ears that pick up the smallest differences with anything higher than 320.

idk sometimes flac is better at bringing volumes up and not all 320 sounds good as ripping a cd by yourself 

Prefer mp3 320 oooor the smaller size 128 even sometimes depending on the band. Lmao. But mp3 always due to phone storage capacity. But if I like a band or artist enough I'll download a FLAC or two lol. When it comes to phone's these days.....SIZE MATTERS :lol:

ogg vorbis is the way to go.

In all seriousness I always choose iTunes / M4A, the format for real connoisseurs. Well, after lossless that is, but you gotta go light on lossless when you don't have unlimited space and a lot of music.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I prefer boobs over anything but format FLAC but if no FLAC then 320kbps.

• Upvote 1

I was going to say something but I always get ridiculed for what I said. So I will keep ............................. blah, blah, blah, to myself.  Most of the time!

302366140_ITheMask.jpg.1b3d1630c4952126d0bac6a7e9b5aee3.jpg

Lossless files are superior to regular bitrates for sure, if you have a good headset or soundsystem. For us mortals, VBR is great but doesn't really differ from 320k, except that the latter has class. :lol:

On 7/17/2016 at 4:58 PM, Nyeusi said:

320. Anything beyond that and people are overthinking unless you have bionic ears that pick up the smallest differences with anything higher than 320.

The 14 speakers in my car disagree.

On 7/17/2016 at 4:58 PM, Nyeusi said:

The 14 speakers in my car disagree.

On 7/27/2018 at 5:58 PM, Hellion6 said:

Prefer mp3 320 oooor the smaller size 128 even sometimes depending on the band. Lmao. But mp3 always due to phone storage capacity. But if I like a band or artist enough I'll download a FLAC or two lol. When it comes to phone's these days.....SIZE MATTERS :lol:

Go Android and get a huge SD card.

ALAC forever, on the best quality available (24/44, 24/192 or MQA)

EEE

V0/320 is my usual download format for most music, at least 90%.

FLAC selectively based on genre (vocal-predominant, classical, jazz, instrumental, etc) and certain favorite artists.

Due to limitations of my hearing from years of playing and of my most commonly utilized audio sources I find 320/V0 just fine.

I can at times notice subtle differences with FLAC on my better audio sources, but not always. I like to use FLAC for conversion to lossy formats.

DriftlessPirate

JEM7