Sign in to follow this  
LKA

Your First Bands

37 posts in this topic

Which were the bands/artists that first got you into music? I'm not asking for your childhood favourites (that thread already exists) but the earliest bands/artists you remember actively listening to. The ones I can remember are:

Kraftwerk (The Beatles of electronic music)

Green Day (Green Day)

Xavier Naidoo (a really cheesy German soul singer, I have no idea why I liked him)

Fanta 4 (German hip hop/pop group)

Wir Sind Helden (German pop group)

Juli (German pop-rock band)

What were yours?

ABUSEOFPOWER.JPG

BCJNh3t.png

Friends tried to talk me into Linkin Park, but i never liked them.

I started listening to music with Billy Talent. '07/'08 i discovered Zebrahead who led me to the music i listen nowadays to.

t2DLnik.png

Linkin Park

blink-182

Yellowcard

Sum 41

Simple Plan

Good Charlotte

Limp Bizkit

Zebrahead

Bloc Party

Our Last Night

Senses Fail

Billy Talent

just to name a few

EFo5Hj3XoAAmas3.jpg

I got into rock by being introduced to Skillet, 3 Doors Down, Hinder, Lifehouse.

And for metal which is what I mostly listen to, my friends in high school introduced me to All That Remains, FFDP, August Burns Red, As I Lay Dying, Linkin Park, Bullet For My Valentine.

I got into rock by being introduced to Skillet, 3 Doors Down, Hinder, Lifehouse.

And for metal which is what I mostly listen to, my friends in high school introduced me to All That Remains, FFDP, August Burns Red, As I Lay Dying, Linkin Park, Bullet For My Valentine.

Friends tried to talk me into Linkin Park, but i never liked them.

I started listening to music with Billy Talent. '07/'08 i discovered Zebrahead who led me to the music i listen nowadays to.

Billy Talent, Linkin Park, 30StM, Gentleman and a few more were part of "Wave 2" of music I liked while Zebrahead, Yellowcard, Anti-Flag, SOAD, Rise Against, RHCP, RATM, Audioslave, Pendulum, The Prodigy, Alexisonfire and Cancer Bats started "Wave 3". After that my musical scope exploded and now I like too much music

ABUSEOFPOWER.JPG

BCJNh3t.png

I didn't expect Zebrahead to be so popular, always thought of them as a very niche band

• Love 1

ABUSEOFPOWER.JPG

BCJNh3t.png

Hmm my first bands would have to be Trapt, Crossfade, Seether, Cold, Sevendust, Papa Roach, 3 Doors Down, Linkin Park and 30 Seconds to Mars. There are probably more but these are just the ones off the top of my head.

I remember one of my good friends from years ago was into industrial rock/metal stuff and he sent me a bunch of stuff over AIM. The ones I remember were introductory stuff like Marilyn Manson and NIN but he sent other lesser known acts like Spineshank, Orgy and Coal Chamber. He also was a huge fan of Smashing Pumpkins so he sent all their stuff too. I usually think of what he sent me and those bands as the beginning of my music collection.

I've always had stuff my dad listens to as well--things that for him were just the music of the day but for us younger people are more like 'classics' (AC/DC, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Green Day, basically all the hard rock/heavy metal names), so I count those in as well since I ripped from his CDs all the time.

As to something that I would call my own discovery, I would say Bullet for My Valentine is the first band I remember being actively interested in.

nxShGBP.png

The world is quiet here.

I always liked System Of A Down thanks to MTV (with the B.Y.O.B clip spinning every day),I remember when I was 12 this stupid ass dude from classroom showed me Linkin Park, which I absolutely love it since that day but he also showed me Slipknot and that was, since that day, my favorite band. Been a fan of them for 10 years and that's awesome. Then I discovered heavier music like All That Remains, Killswitch Engage and Mastodon thanks to Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero 2 and 3 I guess. 

Will always love Asking Alexandria xD

Linkin Park 4 life... I am pretty sure LP is the reason why millions got into music

• Love 1

Atreyu,

Bullet for My Valentine,

Modest Mouse,

Metallica,

blink-182,

System of a Down,

KoRn,

30 Seconds to Mars,

Slayer,

Iron Maiden,

Linkin Park,

& Senses Fail.

There's probably more that I can't think of.

Back in the 90's I started with those charts compilations my mother used to buy, so I wasn't into any particular band or group rather than the singles. I remember having a video tape of the Backstreet Boys though, with the Everybody music video and behind the scenes material. Also I knew who Michael Jackson was and liked his music early on.

What's next is pretty much standard for kids at my age I guess: blink-182 and those other bands that were in American Pie or Tony Hawk became my first experience with pop-punk and I listened to some Red Hot Chili Peppers as well, but mostly I was into rap music. Then came Linkin Park, who were both rap and guitars and even screams, and I definitely liked it. And slowly I drifted apart from hip hop and got more and more into metal. Friends introduced me to Bullet for my Valentine (we used to play that ultra sick intro of Hand of Blood on our guitars, but I was terrible), Metallica and Iron Maiden - pretty much standard, as I said.

And after that (I don't remember how I found them, but I know that it was the first time I showed something new to my friends) I came across the song "Like the Angel" by Rise Against, and they became the first band of which I needed to have the whole discography, which meant (because I didn't know any better) searching and downloading every single song from bearshare ...

Green Day and blink-182 were definitely the first, but NOFX were quite soon after and they got me into the less mainstream punk music.

Marilyn Manson, Linkin Park, Children of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Nightwish, POD, Eminem, Iron Maiden etc.

I'm 36, so Bon Jovi, Metallica, Van Halen. However it was Pantera that blew my mind right open, along with White Zombie.

Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Creed and whatever else was playing on the radio when I was in like 3rd-5th grade. I used to sit and listen to the radio for hours in the summer just to see if a Linkin Park would come on haha.

Linkin Park, Papa Roach, System of a down, Drowning Pool, AC/DC, Nightwish and Evanescence :D

Linkin Park, Metallica, System of a Down, Nightwish, Bullet for my Valentine 

• Love 1

rymacc 2.png last fm acc 2.png

Deftones

First album I ever got was Green Day's American Idiot when I was around 10, so I'm gonna have to go with them :D

Secret and Whisper, Agraceful and Greeley Estates

my first album was Green Day - Dookie, still one of my top 5's

Three days grace, ever since I hate everything about you hit the radio

Three days grace, ever since I hate everything about you hit the radio