dewey duck

Architects - Holy Hell (2018)

170 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Groundking said:

Blegh!

Man I think Time Will Die and Love Will Bury It has ruined metalcore for me, everything just seems so safe and unadventurous after that album, also I think Sam's forcing his screams too much on here, as if he's struggling.

It's still good though and the closing 3 songs are fantastic.

so check 'time will die'?

Other Releases by

13 hours ago, humbleledger said:

so check 'time will die'?

Yes it's amazing, easily my AOTY, and I highly doubt anything will top it.

Guest therealfatnick

Revisited after 5 listens and not much has changed for me. Definitely inferior to Hollow Crown, AOG & LF//LT. Some tracks are a bore and A Waste Hymn doesn't hold a candle to Memento Mori. I was expecting a bit more, it's just a solid 6/10. Best tracks are still: Doomsday, Holy Hell, The Seventh Circle & Mortal After All. 

Seriously this is really not a good record unfortunately. Dunno why but the vocals really were odd. The way the chorus was sung in the opener gives me headaches. Just like in Match Made In Heaven of the previous album. There are just too many of those vocals in this record. Wish  it would be like Lost Forever Lost Together era, that was the perfect blend of Hollow Crown Times and All Our Gods Have Abandoned US. Seventh Circle and Doomsday are killer songs tho.

eca.png

This is my aoty, now I'm sure. I'm totally in love with it.

It's really hard to pick a favorite cause I like basically the whole album, I'd say:

1) Hereafter, Doomsday, Mortal after all, A wasted hymn

2) Death is not defeat, Modern Misery, The seventh circle, Holy Hell

3) Royal beggars, Dying to heal

4) Damnation

So fucking good, AOTY for me. 10/10

half of the album is top notch(especially doomsday and hereafter), rest is just decent, loved how they used symphonic elements this time

aoghau is and forever will be the best architects album thats for sure

• Upvote 1

This is surprising. Not even top 3 on my list. Thanks for the curveball KL!

In regards to this being album of the year.....haha. For starters why is it that every year the only nominees that make it into consideration are metalcore bands? Also, really surprised that this won over another shitty DGD record. This is one of Architects worst albums, and based off the comment section here I'm not the only person to think that. What I really don't understand through all of this is how did this album get album of the year when just two years ago they put out their best record to date and it lost to a fucking DGD album? Stupid. There were so many records that came out this year outside of the same shitty metalcore that gets nominated every year that deserved to be nominated. Pianos Become The Teeth, Damien Jurado, Ben Howard, Tides Of Man, Rivers of Nihil, Death Cab For Cutie (which I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Gold Rush gets nominated for a fucking grammy), Novo Amor, Pinegrove, mewithoutYou (put out TWO albums this year that rip), and that's just to name a few off the top of my head that deliver way harder musically and accessibly over this half baked attempt at an Architects album. I mean really. I love this site and the community, and I love how diverse the music and the listeners and staff are on here, so where is the diversity? Every year it's literally the same bands when it comes to the polls. DGD has won like what? The past three years straight, and now "surprise", another metalcore/post hardcore album from a HUGE name in that genre. I know these things don't mean anything, I just get caught up on the idea of introducing this community to newer artists, that's what we're all here for. I feel like half of the people on here don't even get to vote on any of these polls because there's no diversity in the nominations, albums in this genre just get an instant win.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, bachashnoo said:

In regards to this being album of the year.....haha. For starters why is it that every year the only nominees that make it into consideration are metalcore bands? Also, really surprised that this won over another shitty DGD record. This is one of Architects worst albums, and based off the comment section here I'm not the only person to think that. What I really don't understand through all of this is how did this album get album of the year when just two years ago they put out their best record to date and it lost to a fucking DGD album? Stupid. There were so many records that came out this year outside of the same shitty metalcore that gets nominated every year that deserved to be nominated. Pianos Become The Teeth, Damien Jurado, Ben Howard, Tides Of Man, Rivers of Nihil, Death Cab For Cutie (which I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Gold Rush gets nominated for a fucking grammy), Novo Amor, Pinegrove, mewithoutYou (put out TWO albums this year that rip), and that's just to name a few off the top of my head that deliver way harder musically and accessibly over this half baked attempt at an Architects album. I mean really. I love this site and the community, and I love how diverse the music and the listeners and staff are on here, so where is the diversity? Every year it's literally the same bands when it comes to the polls. DGD has won like what? The past three years straight, and now "surprise", another metalcore/post hardcore album from a HUGE name in that genre. I know these things don't mean anything, I just get caught up on the idea of introducing this community to newer artists, that's what we're all here for. I feel like half of the people on here don't even get to vote on any of these polls because there's no diversity in the nominations, albums in this genre just get an instant win.

Look at last years AOTY?

4 hours ago, bachashnoo said:

Last year's album of the year of some shitty rapper. I felt the way you do last year. Because i thought trivium put out a killer album in 2017. It was my album of the year in 2017. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and i gave architects chance after chance album after album. And it just never caught my attention the way Holy Hell does. I actually really like this album, and I tend to be very picky. Parkway Drive was one of my favorite bands. I like Reverence, but i think it's their worst album. Horizons is still my favorite Parkway Drive album to this day. Just like waken the fallen by avenged sevenfold will never be topped for me when it comes to A7X. I use to like Atreyu a lot, i loved Long Live except a few songs. Their new album i completely despise. I think it's worse than Lead Sails paper anchor. Tremonti put out a hell of an album in 2018 that ripped, Ice Nine Kills put out a good album. Some bands hit my expectations, but a lot let me down.

4 hours ago, bachashnoo said:

Not to try to offend or anything but a lot of the bands you named and said delivered way harder musically aren't very heavy. Rivers of Nihil was the only one i saw. Their a very good band, their from about 2 hours from me. My band has opened up for them before they were big, played several festivals such as Hillbilly Metalfest with those dudes. Their 6 string bassist Adam is a hell of a bassist. Definitely really cool guys. And they definitely put out a hell of an album last year.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Centralia121483 said:

Not to try to offend or anything but a lot of the bands you named and said delivered way harder musically aren't very heavy. Rivers of Nihil was the only one i saw. Their a very good band, their from about 2 hours from me. My band has opened up for them before they were big, played several festivals such as Hillbilly Metalfest with those dudes. Their 6 string bassist Adam is a hell of a bassist. Definitely really cool guys. And they definitely put out a hell of an album last year.

True, a lot of that honestly has to do with metal as a whole just not delivering like it used to, so much of the genre has just gotten stale and recycled. Rivers of Nihil was one of the ONLY good metal releases that came out last year, aside from like Silent Planet, who in my opinion are one of the ONLY good, original metalcore bands left. Also, I want to add that a band doesn't have to be heavy to deliver musically, that's why I also mentioned accessibility, most of the albums I listed can be appreciated by a majority, which to me is a very important factor if we're gonna take votes on what the AOTY should be.

15 hours ago, Summers said:

Look at last years AOTY?

Oh yeah, Kendrick Lamar. I forgot about that. I can respect Kendrick but his latest album was highly overrated in comparison to his past releases. I used to be way more into him and hip hop in general.

Never heard of Architects up until this morning.  Grabbed this album, absolutely love it.  Deserves every bit of praise you guys throw at it.  Definitely buying a physical copy, thanks a fucking bunch.

• Love 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/20/2019 at 1:31 PM, bachashnoo said:

True, a lot of that honestly has to do with metal as a whole just not delivering like it used to, so much of the genre has just gotten stale and recycled. Rivers of Nihil was one of the ONLY good metal releases that came out last year, aside from like Silent Planet, who in my opinion are one of the ONLY good, original metalcore bands left. Also, I want to add that a band doesn't have to be heavy to deliver musically, that's why I also mentioned accessibility, most of the albums I listed can be appreciated by a majority, which to me is a very important factor if we're gonna take votes on what the AOTY should be.

Oh yeah, Kendrick Lamar. I forgot about that. I can respect Kendrick but his latest album was highly overrated in comparison to his past releases. I used to be way more into him and hip hop in general.

I get what ya mean, and do agree with ya. Not sure if your familiar with Tremonti or not. He used to be the guitarist in creed, and is now the lead guitarist in alter bridge. He's been releasing solo albums, he just released his 4th one called A Dying Machine. I thought it was one of the better albums released last year. Killswitch Engage and As I Lay dying are also two of the original metalcore bands that are still left. Their still writing very good material. I loved AILD's new song my own grave. And the two most recent albums killswitch released with Leech were awesome. I loved them. There are other metalcore bands that are still tearing it up. Trivium is still killing it, fit for a king, Phinehas, I can probably name several others.

Guest Blues Tunes

this album is freaking amazing!!

un excelente disco, gracias