dewey duck

Architects - Holy Hell (2018)

171 posts in this topic

So proud of these dudes and happy they continued on with making music. This record sounds huge and in my opinion has Dan's best drumming to date.

Favorite tracks are 

Death Is Not Defeat

Mortal After All

Holy Hell

The Seventh Circle

A Wasted Hymn

T // S

• Upvote 1

This album is different than All Our Gods, LF//LT, and Daybreaker.

But In the same way that all of the above were different than Hollow Crown, Ruin, and Nightmares.

This is still at the core an "Architects album" and each song is an "Architects song."

The strings in a few of the songs are a great addition, and give this album the very sad or moody sound it was looking to create.

Tom's absence is noticeable for sure, but not really as a detriment to the album. They made something new, and the new guitarist clearly had some fun ideas. I can't wait to see what else they create together after getting closer and get a better understanding of each other.

And speaking of OLDER Architects, The Seventh Circle was a fucking kick in the teeth. As soon as those riffs and drums kicked in I thought I had somehow shuffled to another album. Sam hit me with the best fucking BLEGH i've heard in years. The whole song is just a quick and dirty expression of pure fucking anger.

"I DON'T WANNA DREAM ANYMORE"

Doomsday is still one of the most emotional Architects songs, and i'm really glad they included it here.

Really not a single bad or unenjoyable song on the album.

By no means my favorite Architects album, but this is definitely a solid 7.75 out of 10.

"Sounds like Bring Me The Horizon butt butter huehuehuehuehuehue"

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Physyadelic said:

THERE IS ONE TRASH MEME FROM ME, I SINCERELY HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS I DO...:wub: fuck you all...mwah
JK LUVZ <3 

Now I'm going to finally listen to my boyz :3 napkins are ready...:fap:

MEME THAT SUCKS.jpg

*Gets ontop of their table at award show and stomps* 

Guest the_vinyl_revival

THANK YOU! Easily my album of the year. No band gives me goosebumps like Architects. 

It sounds already really different after the third listening, the guitar work and the production are just amazing, the best i’ve heard from Architects, and Sam is just out of this world, over every expectation. Just give it more than one chance, maybe is the best album by architects yet, the most complete and various for sure.

The album definitely feels like its more emotional than All Our Gods, but outside of The Seventh Circle, it doesn't quite have that aggressive feel that Gods or even Lost. Most of the songs are great, and I definitely enjoy the album. Not my personal AOTY, but definitely top 10!

Sounds better than last album, and that means a lot. It sounds like them but with something else. Also, i'm a fucking bitch for symphonic elements so there's that. Lyrics hitting like a fucking truck and they are so well placed along instruments that they nearly punch you in the face. My least favorite is Modern Misery.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, swanny3214 said:

I found the lyrics emotional and compelling but I can't get behind the rest of it. The guitars sound very similar with little change and made the album sound very similar all the way through without a concernable difference between songs. 

6/10 for me. It's good, not as good as everyone is making it out to be

Finally somebody said it.

6 hours ago, ihateit said:

I'm sorry, are you implying that Sam Carter cannot sing?

Sure

• Upvote 3

Pretty solid album, and probably one of their best, but definitely not AOTY material..... top 25 or MAYBE top 10? sure.

• Upvote 3

Definitely a solid album. Not AOTY for me, but given how I'm not as into metalcore these days as I used to be...this album was quite a good listen and I've always seen them as one of the better bands in the genre these days. A Wasted Hymn is the absolute favorite off this, what a perfect closer to this album. Doomsday, Holy Hell, The Seventh Circle, and Hereafter are standouts for me as well. A solid 8/10 right here. 

18 minutes ago, bigbabyjack said:

Back up!

Thank you!!

So now that I've had a few times to listen to he album, I would say it's a solid 8/10 and probably AOTY for me.

-The symphonic elements are executed perfectly and add a really cool layer to the entire album

-Great riffs all over the album

-Their best work lyrically

-Really works as a whole album, it takes you through a spectrum of emotion from start to finish, and ends on a perfect closing track in A Wasted Hymn.

Dislikes:

-I thought some of the singing by Carter was overbearing on some songs. He has a terrific voice and I love his vocal style, but in some spots it seemed forced.

-Breakdowns were good as a whole, but uninspired in some spots.

Side note, I wouldn't get too caught up in comparing this to their previous work. This is a new chapter in the band and I think Holy Hell should sort of stand on its own in their discography.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Absolutely loving this record favs are The Seventh Circle, Death Is Not Defeat, Holy Hell, and A Wasted Hymn

This is aight. It's no Lil Pump though and I gotta say that makes me sad

• Haha 1

Ladies and Gentlemen, the album of the year is here.

A lot of people dont understand that when artists get into "album mode" they create a formula for themselves. Albums are supposed to sound cohesive. If every song on this album sounded different yall would complain that it's all over the place. imo this album was put together perfectly, not every song is a masterpiece because not every song has to be. This album is a raw commentary on tragedy and marks a new chapter in Architects. 9/10

• Upvote 3

Seventh Circle alone is enough for me to say this album is great.

Obviously hard to live up to other works but its solid. 

18 hours ago, pizzaistheessenceoflife said:

Entire album is a beast so far, but... The Seventh Circle... Jfc they better play that shit live next time I see them.

After a few listens I can understand the people complaining about it. It's certainly different, more melodic overall and at times structurally repetitive. But for me it's definitely my AOTY. I guess that's probably because AOGHAU wasn't amazing for me like LF//LT was and now this is. Can't get over the production quality though, Getgood drum production quality is god tier.

• Upvote 1

The songwriting seems to be a bit disjointed/all over the place. A result of Tom not being there, I assume. Decent amount more lead guitar this album than the last couple, I think. There's some cool parts and a couple good songs, but my least favorite Architects album, I'd say.

EDIT: After more listens, it kinda got worse imo. Boring song writing everywhere, and Sam has his worst vocal performance imo. Good on you if you love it, but this is not something I have any desire to listen to other than Doomsday really. 

Favorites: Mortal After All, Dying to Heal, The Seventh Circle, Doomsday

Lyrically its deep in emotion but  not as strongly written with Tom no longer around. Josh's influence is all over it with the guitaring. Plenty of Tom's writing in here too; Mortal After All, Damnation... production is huge.

They were never going to top AOGHAU - its perfect in every way but they also had to do something a little different which they have. It's very much a snapshot of everything they've gone through in the time since Tom's passing.

Death is Not Defeat 4.5

Hereafter 4

Mortal After All 4

Holy Hell 4

Damnation 4 

Royal Beggars 3

Modern Misery 3

Dying to Heal 4

The Seventh Circle 4 (I dont know how I feel about this. It feels out of place on the album but would be huge live)

Doomsday 5

A Wasted Hymnn 4.5

• Downvote 1