dewey duck

Architects - Holy Hell (2018)

169 posts in this topic

I needed this :cry:

Thank you!!

1 hour ago, BRDSX said:

Kind of boring to be honest, sleep strip woke me up a few times on the way to work.

are you admitting to falling asleep at the wheel while you are driving to work?

• Downvote 1

I don't know guys...

Like I'm an Architects fan since Ruin. Just went through the album once now. First feeling is damn the sounds is FUCKING heavy, which will please a lot of people, but it lacks some variety. There is also a TON of atmospheric samples, maybe a bit too much. Yeah yeah I'm being a critic cunt at the moment but I don't know what to think of this album right now.

Songs like Gone With The Wind, Broken Cross and Nihilist are clearly missing. Doomsday is the best song of the album.

Yeah, first listen, not a huge fan. The loss of Tom seems to have really impacted their writing badly.

Just restarting a listening of AOGHAU and damn, first song, what a difference. Miss you Tom :'(

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, The Top Hat said:

9/10

Definitely not my AOTY, but still up there 

a 9/10 form the guy who can't listen to bands without cleans. 

you've come a long way. 

or

just saying words?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smash_Adams said:

a 9/10 form the guy who can't listen to bands without cleans. 

you've come a long way. 

or

just saying words?

This has cleans, or at least, very close to cleans

Still one of my favorite metalcore bands.

6 minutes ago, The Top Hat said:

This has cleans, or at least, very close to cleans

yeah, very close to cleans.  

Last 3 songs are some of their best.

I need a while to digest the lyrics but rn my favourites are the last 3 and Holy Hell.

I really need to stop listening to singles as I feel if I didn't I would feel more wowed by the album.

Death Is Not Defeat - 5/5
Hereafter - 5/5
Mortal After All - 5/5 
Holy Hell - 5/5
Damnation - 5/5
Royal Beggars - 5/5
Modern Misery - 4/5
Dying To Heal - 4/5
The Seventh Circle - 5/5
Doomsday - 5/5
A Wasted Hymn - 5/5

Awesome. Is there anything else to say? This album was really amazing, a lot of melodic parts and a lot of heavy ones. Tom would be proud of them, that's for sure. This will be for sure one of my favorite albums of this year. 9.5/10.

Favorites: Death Is Not Defeat, Mortal After All, Holy Hell, Royal Beggars, Seventh Circle, Doomsday

• Love 1

I still don't get it. 

Although I did get to track 6 today on the drive in. I usually change to something else by track 3 or 4 on other Architects albums.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Astral said:

Death Is Not Defeat - 4/5
Hereafter - 5/5
Mortal After All - 5/5 
Holy Hell - 5/5
Damnation - 5/5
Royal Beggars - 5/5
Modern Misery - 4/5
Dying To Heal - 4/5
The Seventh Circle - 5/5
Doomsday - 5/5
A Wasted Hymn - 5/5

Awesome. Is there anything else to say? This album was really amazing, a lot of melodic parts and a lot of heavy ones. Tom would be proud of them, that's for sure. This will be for sure one of my favorite albums of this year. 8.5/10.

Favorites: Mortal After All, Holy Hell, Royal Beggars, Seventh Circle, Doomsday

If we use your system architects could have a maximum of 55 poinst and you gave it 52 points. That's no 8,5, it's a 9,5/10 :P

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Voinolin said:

If we use your system architects could have a maximum of 55 poinst and you gave it 52 points. That's no 8,5, it's a 9,5/10 :P

My rating system is bad, lol. i think i should stop that rating in the future and just say which songs I liked and which i didn't like that much. xD

sweeet FLAC already!  awesome!  can't wait for this!  

This is so good, can't wait to see them play this stuff live in January. 

I think they didn't top all our gods but still it's a beautiful album, hereafter and doomsday are maybe the best ones along with death is not defeat and the title track, And then the last one...it's a really really good closure.

I'm still not in love with it but it's just the first listening I think it will grow in me. I can feel the lack of Tom in the writing process, now I can tell even more the genius that he was.

It's really heavy, melodic and electronic. My main fear was that it could sound too similar to all our gods but it's not. Great work from my favorite band

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BRDSX said:

Kind of boring to be honest, sleep strip woke me up a few times on the way to work.

People get excited pretty easily by similar track structures, breakdowns and a couple of blegh... Like I said before, these guys seem like an awesome bunch of human beings, they went through a lot with the departure of their band mate and dear friend. But they have used the same repetitive song structure for like 3 albums in a row... It’s alright to think it might be their intention to create an album like its one big song... But personally I can’t get into it, but I wish them nothing but success.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Amazing album. It doesn’t need to top their last album, I actually like the guitars way more here than in AOGHAU. it has tastier riffs. Favorite songs are seventh circle, mortal after all (Jesus that befinning riff) and the closer. 

Thank You, Awesome Album!

What a great album to show the world this band can indeed go on

Don’t like it. 

I couldn’t possibly listen to this album straight through again. If the highs were clean, I’d probably love it. Instead they sound like a screech, and they’re in eeevery song. I could maybe listen to Hereafter again at some point, but that’s about it. 

Crazy IMO how many people think it’s AOTY.  It doesn’t deserve to hold The Silver Screams jock strap as far as I’m concerned. To each their own though. 

Album of the fucking year right here, had to dig out log in information just to post this on this specific album after being MIA for over a year!

Given the circumstances, I don't think it's quite fair to say but the album is disappointing. The guitar work is much less interesting which is odd considering they gained Josh from Sylosis. There's a lot more electronics which add a nice vibe but this sounds like a stripped away AOG or LF//LT. I guess I was just expecting more. Doomsday, Holy Hell, Seventh Circle & A Wasted Hymn are the standouts.

It's not bad but it's not great IMHO. Solid 6/10.

3 hours ago, Smash_Adams said:

yeah, very close to cleans.  

I'm sorry, are you implying that Sam Carter cannot sing?

1 minute ago, ihateit said:

I'm sorry, are you implying that Sam Carter cannot sing?

I don't understand what he is saying. This definitely has cleans 

• Upvote 1

First of all, The Seventh Circle.....holy shit. Super emotional and the build to Doomsday is incredible when going through the album. Also best album art of the year for sure. Maybe AOTY for me....