mR12

Hellions - Rue (2018)

63 posts in this topic

I think there's a good chance this is my AOTY. Not a single bad song on this. And I agree with all the above comments, they are such an underrated amazingly talented band

Other Releases by

Grabbed this cuz of the hype. Ummmm. Yeah. I just can't get behind terms like "aoty", "important", "not from this world", "way too fucking creative", "masterpiece", "god tier", "on another level", "most underrated", etc,... when what I'm hearing is some of the most generic sounding rock music I've heard in a while. To me it sounds like I could hear this any time, any day of the week, on any rock radio station out there, and it wouldn't stand out to me above anything else being played. Sorry everyone. Not for me whatsoever and I just don't see anything special or creative about this in the slightest. If you love it, great. No disrespect to the fans. Everyone likes different things. :)

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 5
  • Downvote 9

I've listened to this probably 5 or 6 times already and it just gets better and better. Its uniquely hellions but still quite different from Opera Oblivion.

Odessey is incredible.

I liked the singles and they've grown a tonne too.

Won't be AOTY but that's been locked in for me since March with Casey. Nothing compares.

• Upvote 1

I love how upbeat this whole thing is. Somehow made an alt. rock/melodic hardcore mix into an album of singalongs with lots of depth there too. Odyssey literally sounds like a Christmas Carol but at the end of the world or something. Their other upbeat sounds have more hip-hop vibes which completely works too. And during all of these sounds, the guitar tones are consistently crisp. The songwriting is top notch throughout too. Smile has been stuck in my head since it came out basically. Furrow and Rue are perfect examples of how emotional their songs can get as well. The later of which was super inspirational too, and they managed to do so tastefully in a great song. I'd say The Lotus is a favorite too; it's pretty heavy and the lyrics are incredibly unique. Get Up! is fun af. 7.5-8/10

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Not done listening, but it's amazing so far, I needed that

• Love 1

Finally listening to the full album. Will post my review later tomorrow. Gotta agree though with everyone. Sounds amazing, really melodic for a hardcore album. I'm amazed tbh. I really like the choruses. Actually didn't listen to the singles right away, Furrow is amazing.

Needs to be longer 0/10

Ok just kidding it's fucking great

18 hours ago, ToXicK said:

Grabbed this cuz of the hype. Ummmm. Yeah. I just can't get behind terms like "aoty", "important", "not from this world", "way too fucking creative", "masterpiece", "god tier", "on another level", "most underrated", etc,... when what I'm hearing is some of the most generic sounding rock music I've heard in a while. To me it sounds like I could hear this any time, any day of the week, on any rock radio station out there, and it wouldn't stand out to me above anything else being played. Sorry everyone. Not for me whatsoever and I just don't see anything special or creative about this in the slightest. If you love it, great. No disrespect to the fans. Everyone likes different things. :)

do you listen to music

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, Joseph said:

do you listen to music

Do you not deal well with the opinions of others?

But in answer to your question, absolutely. I just listen to music that I personally think is good. Is that okay with you? If you don't like something that I do, does that mean you don't listen to music? No. It just means we listen to different things. Good or bad is subjective, but your comment comes across as "Oh... if you don't like these guys you suck & obviously listen to shitty music."

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, ToXicK said:

Do you not deal well with the opinions of others?

But in answer to your question, absolutely. I just listen to music that I personally think is good. Is that okay with you? If you don't like something that I do, does that mean you don't listen to music? No. It just means we listen to different things. Good or bad is subjective, but your comment comes across as "Oh... if you don't like these guys you suck & obviously listen to shitty music."

idk how you can think it's "some of the most generic sounding rock music I've heard in a while" if you actually listen to music cus it obviously isn't 

did you not listen to the latest you me at six or the story so far to give 2 examples, both sounded more in line with 'generic' rock sounds than this 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I'll agree that this isn't generic, never heard anything that sounds like this on any radio station I've ever listened to, but, I will defend @ToXicK and say, if he doesn't want to like it, he does not have to 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Joseph said:

idk how you can think it's "some of the most generic sounding rock music I've heard in a while" if you actually listen to music cus it obviously isn't 

did you not listen to the latest you me at six or the story so far to give 2 examples, both sounded more in line with 'generic' rock sounds than this 

Well, if you don't know how... let me explain one last time. Having an opinion is exactly how. It's really easy. I could turn it completely around and say something like "I don't know how you can think there is any creativity or uniqueness to this band whatsoever." But see? EITHER of us trying to argue our point is stupid. I think they suck, you think they're great. No big deal. There's nothing to prove to me and there's nothing to prove to you. We both feel differently and that's okay. So having said that, don't take other peoples opinions so personally. It's just what I feel, I'm not saying you or anyone else needs to feel the same way I do. Like I already said, nothing personal towards the fans. If someone likes it, great!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ToXicK said:

Well, if you don't know how... let me explain one last time. Having an opinion is exactly how. It's really easy. I could turn it completely around and say something like "I don't know how you can think their is any creativity or uniqueness to this band whatsoever." But see? EITHER of us trying to argue our point is stupid. I think they suck, you think they're great. No big deal. There's nothing to prove to me and there's nothing to prove to you. We both feel differently and that's okay. So having said that, don't take other peoples opinions so personally. It's just what I feel, I'm not saying you or anyone else needs to feel the same way I do. Like I already said, nothing personal towards the fans. If someone likes it, great!

aint got beef with you having an opinion, am only questioning a point you made 

dont throw out claims saying it's generic etc on a forum if you dont want them challenged

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

FLAC added!

17 minutes ago, Joseph said:

aint got beef with you having an opinion, am only questioning a point you made 

dont throw out claims saying it's generic etc on a forum if you dont want them challenged

You're completely missing one HUGE point. I threw them out there as opinions, not as factual statements. Nor did I ever claim that others should take my opinion as fact. Once I do that, feel free to challenge me. Have I asked ANY other single member who loves the album, to prove to me that it's NOT shit? Nope. Now you're being hypocritical because what would people say if I came in and posted "Don't throw out your claims of it being genius or creative if you don't want them challenged." The difference is that I never challenged anyone as to why they like them. I simply stated that I don't agree. I need no explanation as to why others DO love the band, but you seem to need me to write a book explaining why I don't. I already explained why in my op, so why do you keep questioning? Let it go, or say what you wish. I'm done responding about it, but you're taking it way too personally.

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, ToXicK said:

You're completely missing one HUGE point. I threw them out there as opinions, not as factual statements. Nor did I ever claim that others should take my opinion as fact. Once I do that, feel free to challenge me. Have I asked ANY other single member who loves the album, to prove to me that it's NOT shit? Nope. Now you're being hypocritical because what would people say if I came in and posted "Don't throw out your claims of it being genius or creative if you don't want them challenged." The difference is that I never challenged anyone as to why they like them. I simply stated that I don't agree. I need no explanation as to why others DO love the band, but you seem to need me to write a book explaining why I don't. I already explained why in my op, so why do you keep questioning? Let it go, or say what you wish. I'm done responding about it, but you're taking it way too personally.

never thought they were factual statements

i'll make a note that you dont want your opinions discussed for future reference

all the best 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

After the singles I was like half-hyped/half nervous tbh. Definitely on the softer side for these guys which I hadn't really been into in the past, but this is damn good. Harsh Light is easily my favourite track and overall this album is beautiful. Will always be inspired by the unique sounds and truly artistic talents of these bois.

Yea, just doesn't do it for me. Enjoy though if you like it, no need to try and convince me, and YES I HAVE LISTENED TO MUSIC.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

One of my new favorite bands :)

thanks for the upload!

also, just finished listening to it, this album is SERIOUSLY AOTY material and i never say that shit bc i feel like thats a subjective opinion but this album is too good how can it not be aoty unless ur crazy or deaf

• Love 1

9 hours ago, BRDSX said:

Yea, just doesn't do it for me. Enjoy though if you like it, no need to try and convince me, and YES I HAVE LISTENED TO MUSIC.

Yo but did you listen to The Lotus tho? Or Furrow or Harsh Light 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Is it only me or parts in The Lotus sound like xxxtentacions Look at me?

I don't think many albums, in any genre, can top Opera Oblivia for me, but this album does have some DAMN GOOD songs.

• Upvote 3

I love how these guys have changed their sound over the years. Every record is awesome, with a different style. One of the few bands I didn't care they abandoned their heavy sound to something more "mainstream". Both Hellions are awesome.

• Love 1

Furrow, Smile, X(Muah), Rue, The Lotus, and Get Up are my favorites. Awesome release. Really love how the choruses sound like a choir almost or a lullaby/xmas carol. Solid release 9.5/10 from me, wish it was a longer album like everyone else :lol: . Might be my AOTM now. And possible AOTY unless newer releases impress me more. 

• Love 1

Such a fun listen. 

• Upvote 1

On 23.10.2018 at 1:38 PM, Hellion6 said:

Furrow, Smile, X(Muah), Rue, The Lotus, and Get Up are my favorites. Awesome release. Really love how the choruses sound like a choir almost or a lullaby/xmas carol. Solid release 9.5/10 from me, wish it was a longer album like everyone else :lol: . Might be my AOTM now. And possible AOTY unless newer releases impress me more. 

"Solid" release = 9.5 / 10 the fuck? :D

1 hour ago, Speak of Sorrow said:

Hey I said coz it needs to be a longer album :lol: :D how bout 9.8? Lmao

1 hour ago, Speak of Sorrow said:

In the world of every more enjoyable album being a 9-10 it probs is.

• Upvote 2