Lord Kingdom

Hands Like Houses - Anon. (2018)

50 posts in this topic

Holy shit what happened to this band? I was weary after how bad Dissonants was but JESUS this is awful. The mix is muddy, so many of the songs are bland and boring, and the rhythm of the lyrics just sounds off on so many songs. The entire album feels like you're sitting on a plane waiting for it to take off and nothing happens, especially the first song. This band died after the reimagined EP ugh

• Upvote 2

Other Releases by

I’m in the minority. Didn’t think I would like it after the mixed reception from the singles. I’m actually enjoying this a lot. It’s no Unimagine or Ground Dweller (which are both flawless records in their own rights) but it’s a FUN as fuck album. Personally for me this is more memorable than Dissonants. 

• Upvote 1

I'm enjoying this album but HLH have been my favourite band since Ground Dweller days. I've been able to get on board with everything they've released even if i didn't agree with the choices made. For example, Dissonants was fun but highly repetitive and really honed in on a singular formula. -Anon is undoubtedly catchy but it feels hollow, like its a fun record without any depth to it. I think that's my problem with this. It seems lazy (even though each song sounds much different to the last) rather than boring. Oh well, i'll spin it when i feel like some HLH and go back to listening to mewithoutYou's masterpiece from last week for the forseeable future.

• Upvote 1

Kind of mediocre but there are some guilty pleasure songs 

13 hours ago, maximomckinnon said:

my review summary for the review i'm writing up:

"Anon. is not a truly bad album by any means, but it lives up to its name. It has no true identity or consistency, rather relying a sequence of varyingly successful sounds that play more like a mixtape or a showreel than a coherent album."

If lives up to its name, it's coherent. No? LOL

4 hours ago, Rian-AL said:

If lives up to its name, it's coherent. No? LOL

It lives up to its name, Anon. It lives up to the word anonymous.

• Upvote 1

Unpopular opinion apparently.....Am I the only one who thought Dissonants was great? :/ I see everyone saying it's their worst album and tbh I frankly disagree. Unimagine is my favourite album hands down, but I though Dissonants was solid. It's easily my second favourite release by them. BUT I have to agree with everyone else on this one. It's meh. It's not what I expected from HLH. It's a bland release. The singles were great, I actually dig all 3. My favourites have to be Black and Bad Dream though. It seems short (Considering it's only 30 minutes), it seems more like a dragged on EP than a full album. Very disappointed, I have higher expectations from them, but you know there's a few solid tracks to add to their discography I guess

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, blakewarford said:

Unpopular opinion apparently.....Am I the only one who thought Dissonants was great? :/ I see everyone saying it's their worst album and tbh I frankly disagree. Unimagine is my favourite album hands down, but I though Dissonants was solid. It's easily my second favourite release by them. BUT I have to agree with everyone else on this one. It's meh. It's not what I expected from HLH. It's a bland release. The singles were great, I actually dig all 3. My favourites have to be Black and Bad Dream though. It seems short (Considering it's only 30 minutes), it seems more like a dragged on EP than a full album. Very disappointed, I have higher expectations from them, but you know there's a few solid tracks to add to their discography I guess

Dissonants is my most played album of all time on last.fm, so technically it's my all time favourite too :D

This was just a major letdown. Most songs just feel the same. Slow paced and starting to build up the suspense - only to go back in tempo.

I just thought "Anon. Yep, it truly feels anonymous"

It feels like they though "Oh, yeah, it's been a while since the last album. Let's just bang this out quick"

Or like an assignment being forgotten only to be finished the day before. I am really disappointed.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:21 AM, Six Souls x said:

Dissonants is my most played album of all time on last.fm, so technically it's my all time favourite too :D

I thought the same thing seeing those comments. Dissonants is a damn good album. 

• Love 1

Finally got my chance to listen.

Some songs are really good, but not a single track really shines as amazing.

On 12/10/2018 at 9:07 AM, blakewarford said:

Personally, it's my favourite album from them. Yes Unimagine is technically better and all but i'm still more into Dissonants. Not a fan of Ground Dweller, tbh, even though i get it

• Love 1

my top 3 are 

1. Bad Dream
  2. Tilt
  3. Overthinking
On 10/14/2018 at 7:33 AM, Lukyfan said:

3/10 is a very fair rating

no its not but thats your opinion so lemme not.

Think I like this album a lot. Not one to listen to HLH a lot either to be honest though lol. But I have to admit this release has them growing on me. Better than Dissonants imo. Favorites so far are Black, Tilt, Overthinking and Sick.

• Love 1

I hope this is good :(

Wasn't big on the single

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Smickey said:

I hope this is good :(

Wasn't big on the single

F

• Upvote 1

Gave this another listen a couple days ago. Definitely have changed my outlook on this. The album as a whole is mixed well, produced well and is overall a good album. As all the other bands who release something totally different than what you were introduced to them by, just take it as it is. Alternative Rock with some Pop elements thrown in, radio friendly etc. Good music, except Through Glass, that song still sucks monkey nuts.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1