Michael

Twenty One Pilots - Trench (2018)

92 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, The Top Hat said:

Pet Cheetah is indeed growing

But after multiple listens, Smithereens still isn't 

I think if they outright don't like it, that opinion won't change

Prob, Guess I just view music as art I try not to personally judge it. Everyone is unique in the music they prefer.  Also I'm from Ohio so im bias as hell with this band lol. 

• Upvote 1

Other Releases by

Just now, zakear7 said:

Prob, Guess I just view music as art I try not to personally judge it. Everyone is unique in the music they prefer.  Also I'm from Ohio so im bias as hell with this band lol. 

It's all good. Even when I don't enjoy certain bands (not this one, love TOP) I'm glad people can enjoy what I can't 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, MikeGista said:

100% agree. I feel like this is something to have on the background or maybe just something to chill out to. I don’t know, I just feel like every song has a similar structure to it and there wasn’t really any that stick out to me. 

I also don’t how some are saying this is closer to Vessel, I’m legit flabbergasted by that statement. 

Was wondering why i've been feeling so meh about this album but i think this captures it perfectly. Nothing super memorable but something to stick on in the background

• Upvote 2

I feel like everyone not feeling this album are probably the people who just got into them with their blurryface release. People who've been with them since the earlier albums will probably understand and like this album a bit more than the newer fans. This albums anything but boring though. They touched on more styles with this one than blurryface ever did. Tyler really showed off his rapping this time around.

cant wait to hate this genuinely pretty good album once songs from it are played to no end everywhere

• Upvote 1

oof, is this one as bad as literally everything else they've put out? 

i used to be a fan, might give this a try. i hope its not garbage.

• Confused 5

I think a lot of people are looking at this album and hoping it's going to be another Blurryface. It definitely isn't. Personally I think this album, in large part, is very reminiscent of their self titled, debut album. Can see a lot of "fans" being disappointed by that because they've probably never heard that album but for me, I'm enjoying it. Old school TOP with a modern twist 

• Upvote 1

So I don't get as much time to listen to albums in full because of my busy schedule as a Master Leaker, but i've gotta say, I enjoyed pretty much everything on this album. Not going to lie, I was really hoping for a Blurryface 2.0, but was pleasantly disappointed with the outcome.

My Blood is probably the worst track on the record, just very bland with no real point the entire length.

Jumpsuit, Chlorine and Pet Cheetah are the standouts for me. Actually excited to listen again tomorrow.

• Upvote 4

1c10a72c9c1f1d5ceb0bdb84ca32666c.png

1 minute ago, Lord Kingdom said:

So I don't get as much time to listen to albums in full because of my busy schedule as a Master Leaker, but i've gotta say, I enjoyed pretty much everything on this album. Not going to lie, I was really hoping for a Blurryface 2.0, but was pleasantly disappointed with the outcome.

My Blood is probably the worst track on the record, just very bland with no real point the entire length.

Jumpsuit, Chlorine and Pet Cheetah are the standouts for me. Actually excited to listen again tomorrow.

Our father has spoken. 

• Haha 1

Fucking keen but I must wait for 320, surprised this album didn't leak earlier with all the leaked singles but fantastic work either way KL.

1 hour ago, Defat said:

Fucking keen but I must wait for 320, surprised this album didn't leak earlier with all the leaked singles but fantastic work either way KL.

You definitely won't notice a difference between this and 320.

• Upvote 3

t2DLnik.png

1 minute ago, Voinolin said:

You definitely won't notice a difference between this and 320.

I might not but only one day till release anyway so 320 should hopefully be leaked today so I'm cool with waiting. Sadly I have ocd when it comes to having albums in high/constant quality.

• Upvote 2

320 and FLAC added!

• Upvote 1

Hmmmm I may need time to get into this but yeah too much rapping for my taste, I love their other albums I just miss the singing and melodies. We will see if I can get into this one :)

• Haha 1

I knew this album was special after 1 listen, and that thought is maintained after listening to it for days straight. I think above all, this album stands out. No artist or band is making songs like these and each song is so different. Overall, it sounds like a mix of self titled and Vessel, but with 10x more vibrant production, which is insane and no one expected that. 

Jumpsuit into Levitate is such a strong start; that transition is god tier. It also sets the stage for the over arching narrative in the album. But then comes Morph, probably my favorite song on the album, and one of the best songs in the last couple years, for real. The chorus is just perfectly crafted and absolutely stunningly - "I'll morph to someone else". The beat selection throughout the song perfectly rides the wave between hard af, ethereal, and synthy. There's so many subtle aspects to the song too that just proves how amazing it is. 

Next song of interest is Chlorine, and it's probably my 2nd favorite song. How does Tyler come up with such unique lyrics that are so infectious? The chorus instantly ingrained itself in my head for the rest of time. "Let the vibes slide over me" was a good choice in the chorus too cause that's exactly what the song feels like as you're listening to it. Second verse was more pulled back, but worked so well to transition back into, once again, an expert chorus. Then that bridge into the outro left me speechless.

Man, this album started strong. I love Smithereens even though it's not everyone's favorite. It's the "Tear in my Heart" of the album and it's almost just as good. I'm nowhere close to in love but Tyler's got me stepping to a dude much bigger than me anyway. THEN continuing the strong start in "Neon Gravestones". I'll come out and say one of the most hauntingly beautiful and important songs in the last couple years. Everything about it is perfect and everyone needs to hear it. "I'll mourn for a kid but won't cry for a king." RIP Chester.

Every song after that is great too. The Hype and Nico are better than 99% of alt. rock/pop songs. Cut My Lip and Bandito are essentially ballads but with such care taken in the songwriting, both lyrically and instrumentally. So many cool keys moments in both and 10/10 vocal melodies. Songwriting care is evident in Pet Cheetah too as it goes so god damn hard with its hip-hop influence and insane electronics. Lastly, Legend and Leave the City were a beautiful way to end the album.

One gripe that I have is that a lot of Tyler's flows sound similar, but it works really well anyway. Also the lack of a true uke/sing-a-long song is noticeable, but that's so minor. I really just don't have many issues with this album. It's so colorful sonically, and hits on so many emotions. 

Favorites: Morph (!!), Chlorine, Smithereens, Neon Gravestones, Bandito, Pet Cheetah

Strong 9/10 for me and front runner for AOTY.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2
  • Downvote 2

I've listened to this 4 times now and I'm just blown away by this record. Different from Blurryface but I love that this a concept album, they use new songs on this record and it just makes this band feel totally fresh and new again. Can't wait to see them in November

• Upvote 2

20181026_wss_header_desktop.jpg

Thank you ma boi i've been waiting for this!

I think most of the songs on this are great (especiall Morph, Jumpsuit and Nico n the Niners) and theres nice variety, but due to it being 14 tracks long and having some fillery moments, as an album it still drags sometimes. 7/10

Unbenannt.PNG.608ad8c221b6dcec8081cab805b2cf99.PNG

safasf.PNG.e0506e2343bf8ef53aad43fb48ead36c.PNG

On 03/10/2018 at 9:54 AM, c1rcl30fdu57 said:

Remember.......not everyone has to like it.

There are plenty of bands that have changed and I like it just fine. This however isn't my thing and I don't agree with any aoty, best they've done, etc. comments whatsoever. So I don't like it, big deal. Why do sooooooooooooo many people here get butthurt when someone doesn't agree or like something? It's an opinion. Nothing more. People who dislike something have just as much right to state their opinion as someone who likes it. I'll continue to downvote things I don't agree with, just as you have the right to downvote things you don't agree with. Cheers. :)

bit of an ironic comment

• Downvote 1

yeah epic

On 10/2/2018 at 6:21 PM, TheHunteraciaStrain said:

Conclusion

Far better than Blurryface. Maybe just behind Vessel. Fantastic album. 

Slappers:

My Blood

Chlorine

Neon Gravestones

The Hype

Nico And The Niners

Cut My Lip

Pet Cheetah

Neon Gravestones is the best song Tyler has ever written lyrically. The Hype is top 5 overall TOP songs of all time. 

Ya great album...they've been consistent and innovative...Great band well done overall music video artwork etc

I don’t even know where to begin with this album! For starters, I can’t get enough of it!! It has to be the best album they’ve ever made in my opinion. It has such a heavenly vibe to it that just makes everything so much better. 

My favorite has to be Neon Gravestones. It has got to be one of the best songs they’ve ever written, it really messed me up. It’s straightforward, to the point and just breaks my heart a thousand times. 

Pet Cheetah (God this song is absolutely wild), Morph, Chlorine, Cut My Lip. Leave The City, My Blood are also fantastic! I’m very happy they did what they wanted to do and made songs they really wanted to make instead of going the same route of Blurryface!   

They really outdid themselves!  This is really close to being my AOTY!  10/10! 

• Haha 1

Its growing in me :3

this album is incredible :jams:

"Neon Gravestones" has a special place in my heart

On 10/3/2018 at 5:25 AM, Voinolin said:

@realowl i honestly don't get your ratings "it's a decent album, 9/10", but then you post your fav tracks of this album, which was nearly the whole thing, and it gets a 7.5/10.

Besides, i like this album, didn't think much of it after the singles, but it's good as a whole.

The thing is for albums you dont usually listen to it all the time from start to finish. i dont do that. But i feel like this album you need to do that so thats why i put it like that. I love the album to death its just like a not 9/10 to me or a 10/10 i should have said 8/10 but my mistake.

When it comes to albums one of my favorite features is when you're able to listen cover to cover and the production is seamless. This album blew me away because every album I view in it's own light. I don't care if it doesn't compare to blurryface and vessell, every album is it's own thing. If it's good music it's good music, it doesn't matter how they compare to past releases each album. My favorite song BY FAR is The Hype, been blasting and screaming it since release. Other highlists for me are Chlorine, Morph, My Blood and Pet Cheetah, love the entire album though. 9/10

tumblr_mjonoznuZD1r3kb9mo1_500.gif

good songs: my blood, chlorine

pretty good: jumpsuit, morph, neon gravestones, the hype, cut my lip

ok: bandito

deleted the rest. neon gravestones lyrically reminds me of the 1-800 logic song about suicide. solid album. one of the best this month

carlin2.gif

On 10/3/2018 at 1:22 PM, InsidAero said:

cant wait to hate this genuinely pretty good album once songs from it are played to no end everywhere

I don't know if this will have the same radio appeal as Blurryface, I get what you mean though. Luckily my favorite part of blurryface (the second half) didn't get as much attention

• Upvote 1

tumblr_mjonoznuZD1r3kb9mo1_500.gif

On 10/3/2018 at 1:17 PM, Dancedaltondance said:

I feel like everyone not feeling this album are probably the people who just got into them with their blurryface release. People who've been with them since the earlier albums will probably understand and like this album a bit more than the newer fans. This albums anything but boring though. They touched on more styles with this one than blurryface ever did. Tyler really showed off his rapping this time around.

I've been a HUGE fan of this band since before Vessel and  find Trench to be extremely boring. :shrug:

• Upvote 1

Formerly known as
Nice_Backly

WK4Ilr1.jpg