dewey duck

Thrice - Palms (2018)

73 posts in this topic

I can't believe all of this negative talk about this album. I'm a diehard thrice fan from their very first ep till now. I think this album is great! Thrice is Thrice no matter how hard or soft or experimental they get. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, RockinXander said:

I can't believe all of this negative talk about this album. I'm a diehard thrice fan from their very first ep till now. I think this album is great! Thrice is Thrice no matter how hard or soft or experimental they get. 

Yeah... It shouldn’t affect me but there’s so many negative comments I feel depressed... hahaha Thrice is my favorite band ever and they almost make me wonder if I should listen to this... -_-

11 hours ago, Lukyfan said:

Not heavy = Not good XDDDDD
Welcome in [CURRENT YEAR] where every band needs to keep their old sound to be likeable by OG fans

Way to completely mis-represent what was said, which I quite agreed with. You focused on his use of the word heavy, but a better word might be "energy". There are different ways to have "energy" in a song or album, and a lot of post hardcore bands have forgotten that.

That said, I don't think this is generally a problem with Thrice. Very curious to listen to the album, though I didn't like the singles a ton.

Everything Belongs rips so hard! Outstanding track for me. 

Great Album, every song was sick

10/10

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Lukyfan said:

Welcome in [CURRENT YEAR] where every band needs to keep their old sound to be likeable by OG fans

Every band changes, I've listened to Thrice since there debut, this album is pretty sick.

• Love 1

I mean, it'll never touch Vheissu or TAITA, but this is probably the best Thrice records following those. Thrice have always been known to be consistently awesome, and Palms is no exception. Glad to have this be a part of such a phenomenal discography. Highly recommend. 

• Love 3

4 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I mean, it'll never touch Vheissu or TAITA, but this is probably the best Thrice records following those. Thrice have always been known to be consistently awesome, and Palms is no exception. Glad to have this be a part of such a phenomenal discography. Highly recommend. 

I LOVE The Alchemy Index albums man, I love Thrice in general so I am pretty much always pleased.

I love the shoegaze aspect this has all over it, so much atmosphere. There are many a time where I get some 30STM feels as well. This is outstanding IMO, relaxing, atmospheric and another killer album to add to an already stellar discography, killing it.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3
  • Downvote 1

It is pretty good 

Though the pacing feels a bit odd 

I don't get all the hate this is good rock!

Well I'm going to give my ratings for this album with good, very good and meh so here we go

1. Only Us - Good
2. The Grey - Good
3. The Dark - Meh
4. Just Breathe - Meh
5. Everything Belongs - Meh
6. My Soul - Meh
7. A Brand In The River - Good
8. Hold Up a Light - Very Good
9. Blood On Blood - Almost Meh
10. Beyond The Pines - Meh

Album Verdict: Kind of Meh

The Album to me is not as good as the last album (To Be Everywhere Is To Be) they have some song influences in here but not enough to show that Thrice kind of style to it. For me they could have had more time and actually have sold a better album than this. That's what I just think.

Hold Up a Light I highly recommend if you want that good old style of Thrice that I think we all love. This is one song I don't get why they didn't release as a single.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, realowl said:

Well I'm going to give my ratings for this album with good, very good and meh so here we go

1. Only Us - Good
2. The Grey - Good
3. The Dark - Meh
4. Just Breathe - Meh
5. Everything Belongs - Meh
6. My Soul - Meh
7. A Brand In The River - Good
8. Hold Up a Light - Very Good
9. Blood On Blood - Almost Meh
10. Beyond The Pines - Meh

Album Verdict: Kind of Meh

The Album to me is not as good as the last album (To Be Everywhere Is To Be) they have some song influences in here but not enough to show that Thrice kind of style to it. For me they could have had more time and actually have sold a better album than this. That's what I just think.

Hold Up a Light I highly recommend if you want that good old style of Thrice that I think we all love. This is one song I don't get why they didn't release as a single.

Why must you hurt me so?

20 hours ago, Ossy33xxx said:

ughh HUGE LETDOWN for me. i got back into these guys with the sound of the last album, but this just seems like it was just one recorded jam session together. both production wise and song structure.

Let's face it, the true Thrice was born in 1999 and died in 2005.

Except Vheissu and Alchemy is their best work by a country mile. I loved TIOS and TAITA just as much as every other OG Thrice fan, but musically and artistically they got a LOT better over time.

Honestly it’s a little disappointing after TBEITBN. It’s for sure more out of the box than that album, but idk. Just not really feeling it. 

1 hour ago, Strizzmatik said:

Except Vheissu and Alchemy is their best work by a country mile. I loved TIOS and TAITA just as much as every other OG Thrice fan, but musically and artistically they got a LOT better over time.

They are such a great example of gradually changing your sound, I love the maturation of these guys from the early days to now. There are so many elements of old Thrice too, just not in a heavy way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, BRDSX said:

They are such a great example of gradually changing your sound, I love the maturation of these guys from the early days to now. There are so many elements of old Thrice too, just not in a heavy way. 

I can appreciate it for what it is. They really went for a different sound on this album, and in a way, it works for their band. I can definitely understand why a lot of people aren’t feeling it though, myself included

Little dishearten by all these comments, but I'm still pumped.

8 hours ago, Rorschach said:

Why must you hurt me so?

I'm sorry :(

Kind of feels like a sophomore slump on first listen but... to me, this record is emblematic of Dustin's evolution as a dynamic songwriter, and for that reason alone this record will stand the test of time.

• Love 1

My opinion on this has done a complete 180 after multiple listens. This is Thrice’s best album now, in my opinion. The musicianship here is incredibly unique. My god, those last three songs are something to behold. This will for sure be my next vinyl buy. 

• Love 3

What what an album, preordered <3

iam stoked, i loved the last record :) thanks for sharing!

First listen i was not blown away but after about 3 listens and truly digesting this album i really dig it. Beggars is one of my favorite thrice albums so i guess i prefer the more experimental side then the post hardcore side but still love vish and index's when i wanna jam.

I feel like for the people saying they aren’t into this album, Thrice just isn’t for them. And that’s okay. I personally love it, as I have with every album they’ve put out. The thing is, if you don’t appreciate change and experimentation, Thrice isn’t for you. That’s all there is to it. This is a band who have taken creative leaps with every single album. Some albums are better than others, of course. But their core sound is always there. I don’t really expect someone who jocks Attila or Fit for a King to understand Thrice in the least. And that seems to be a pretty huge majority of the people who post here. That’s not an insult, it’s just something I’ve noticed from visiting this page for as long as I have. Thrice isn’t for everyone. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2018 at 7:30 AM, Lukyfan said:

For me it has nothing to do with them getting lighter, thrice use to be different than every band in their genre. Now they sound like every other band. I've been a long time thrice fan, or should i say was a long time thrice fan. I grew up listening to these guys, i was really big into Punk Rock back then before i turned to metal. And at the time thrice was borderline. I started listening to metal in 2001 and thrice was one of the bands that got me into a lot of the metal bands i listen to today. I love all their earlier material. But Vheissu is the last album i really liked. They started changing and the change was good then. It was really different for them. The alchemy index was ok, but they got a lot softer and i like a lot of their softer stuff. But you could tell instrumentally thrice was lacking. Teppei use to be an amazing guitarist, and  played some sick ass riffs. Now it's like all power chords and chords. For me the reason i don't like them is because they changed from having their own sound to sounding like every other band. That's a good example of selling out

On 9/9/2018 at 1:09 PM, Ossy33xxx said:

ughh HUGE LETDOWN for me. i got back into these guys with the sound of the last album, but this just seems like it was just one recorded jam session together. both production wise and song structure.

Let's face it, the true Thrice was born in 1999 and died in 2005.

I completely agree with ya, they got into the experimenting side of it. Which is what they did with Vheissu and it worked very nicely. Then with the alchemy index they experimented way too much. Some songs were ok and it was a lot of the softer ones that were ok. I love thrice's heavier side and even the heavier shit on the alchemy index was lacking and really wasn't that good. Then they got rid of all the heavier parts and now they create music that sounds like every other alternative rock band out there

• Upvote 1

Can't wait to sink to  sink my teeth into this! 

The last album was.... Well, it was not for me....

My hopes are renewed for this one!!!

(Still waiting on new good Saosin)

6 hours ago, Centralia121483 said:

I love thrice's heavier side

Yes!