mR12

The Amity Affliction - Misery (2018)

115 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, holylamanade said:

Thank you so much been refreshing the website every morning just to listen to this <3

It is good and FINALLY a bit different, enjoy

• Upvote 1

brdsx.gif

Other Releases by

I thought this album was going to be extremely boring and had low/almost zero expectations, but I actually really like this album on my first play-through. The end of Set Me Free hit me like a train because I wasn't expecting that from them.

I even like D.I.E. despite the super corny lyrics; it's catchy and I can picture a bunch of people screaming that song at the top of their lungs at a concert (kinda like what happens when BMTH plays Happy Song), lol. 

• Upvote 4

Loving the change in sound personally, it's about time.

Looking forward to listening in full.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, dewey duck said:

how white are you 

Hes school shooter white

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gabox said:

lol the die song has to be cringiest song ever,  what a joke, these grown men still write lyrics like fucking fags teens,  get over it or already kill yourself lmao 

Can't tell if you're being a troll but when you've got depression you always feel like shit but you don't want to die you just want to feel better, yet death feels like the only way to stop feeling like shit. These guys have always been open about feelings of suicide, depression etc some might find it cringe others find it relatable. Either way if you'd listened to an Amity album before, you knew what kind of lyrics you were gonna get so why even bother wasting your time?

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4
  • Downvote 1

Personally loving this, solid 7.5/10 at least, (my favourite Amity album as it just sounds so damn fresh).

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RpgRiser said:

Bring Me The Affliction

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

brdsx.gif

10 hours ago, SeñorLobo said:

Wasn't expecting this till tomorrow,  but im having a shitty day, my mood is bananas cause im quitting cigarettes after about 10 years of smoking. This helps, thanks. 

Seriously? I'm just thinking about buying a pack after hearing this, because I don't think I can handle that many "me" rhymes with "me" moments. What a horrible lyrics. Guess I'm done with music in general for today after this experience :D

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

I'm gonna be brief, this album is something that The Amity Affliction needed to do, they were stuck in a circle and the music was I shall say not different at all, this is DIFFERENT, but DIFFERENT doesn't always mean bad, it's amazing, it's fresh, it's catchy and damn the production is tight as a nice moist pussy :lol: kudos Matt, you disappointed me a bit with Underoath, but you pleasantly surprised me with this :) 

Track by track rating:
1. Ivy (Doomsday) - 8,5/10
2. Feels Like I'm Dying - 7/10
3. Holier Than Heaven - 10/10 (most favourite, it fucking slays)
4. Burn Alive - 7/10
5. Misery - 8/10
6. Kick Rocks - 9/10
7. Black Cloud - 8,5/10 (that breakdown tho)
8. D.I.E - 6,5/10 (least favourite but fucking catchy xD)
9. Drag The Lake - 9/10
10. Beltsville Blues - 7,5/10 (doesn't give me as much as I expected, but it's still a GOOD song)
11. Set Me Free - 8/10
12. The Gifthorse - 9/10 (emotions, just emotions)

Final Verdict: 8,16666666/10

• Upvote 3

I was pretty happy with the album when I first heard it, but after spinning it a few times I have really grown to love it. They've taken a chance by finally changing their stock standard song-writing formula and it's paid off. The only song that I can't fully invest in is D.I.E but it's not even that bad. Good job by the lads, keen to see how they pull some of these off live.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Spike23 said:

Seriously? I'm just thinking about buying a pack after hearing this, because I don't think I can handle that many "me" rhymes with "me" moments. What a horrible lyrics. Guess I'm done with music in general for today after this experience :D

Don't be a dick

16 minutes ago, shfydgi said:

Don't be a dick

If being completely honest about how much this album ruined this morning for me means I'm being a dick, then I guess I am :D 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

This is their best album. I love the new sound, very fresh. 9/10

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While nothing will touch "Younbloods" era TAA, this is surprisingly good. As @Dwėsk said, the vocal variety is pretty fantastic which is a nice surprise. I was put off by the first 2 singles, but as everyone has said, they are probably the weaker tracks on the album. Overall, a solid listen albeit very different from their origins.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

8Nk56Da.jpg

"Drag the Lake" is hands down the best song they ever released!

• Upvote 1

STYGKL_1.gif

I'm digging the change in sound but for me, the entire album sounds like one long song. There isn't too much to remember on this album. I'm also pretty bummed that there wasn't just one super heavy banger.. kinda like Fight My Regret on their last album. 

This is trash.

They are trying to be a poor mans Bring Me The Horizon.

Last album was epic but this is their worst effort by far yet in my opinion.

Sad.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

TBH while I agree bands eventually can't keep pumping out the same type of material over and over, this album is a huge disappointment. I'm a long time fan of this band, and this new sound really is not what I think of when when I want to listen to "The Amity Affliction". What really annoys me is that almost every song follows the same exact structure, starting over slow or melodic and gradually building up to a heavier part/break/solo about 3/4 of the way through the track. There's hardly much variety, and I think I like 5 songs off the whole album. Regardless of songs people think sound cringy, it's just an extremely weak album compared to previous material and to me takes the 3rd worst spot under Cold World from OM&M and whatever garbage album Suicide Silence last put out (can't eveen remember the name that's how much I disliked it). Last album was my least favorite, with Chasing Ghosts and Let the Ocean Take Me being my top 2 to get a sense of what I enjoy hearing from them.

While I can appreciate them trying to do something different, to me it just doesn't work. The only reason I even like a lot of it, is because they have such good sounding instruments and 2 amazing vocalists. It's rough for fans who enjoy a specific genre and then a band almost completely abandons that for a more mainstream or alternative sound, but some bands can pull it off. This was not a band that accomplished this, and I for one loved Bring Me the Horion's last album and sound change.

Probably a 5/10 for me seeing as how I liked almost half the songs. Just my opinion, but I figured I'd provide some real context and actual reasons for disliking rather than just bashing it without saying why. Take it as you will

Overall pretty disappointed. Glad I didn’t preorder because honestly the album gets boring after a while. I mean the “yeah yeah yeahs” in Buried Alive just seem monotonous and drag on. It’s the same Amity, all they did was add a few electronic sounds 

• Upvote 1

was dreading downloading this but ended up pretty surprised, couple good songs and some meh ones. feels like im dying is pure cancer though
good - kick rocks, black cloud, drag the lake, ivy,
in-between - set me free, the gifthorse 
meh - misery, burn alive, beltsville blues, die, 

@popcore182 They use this naming style on most of their albums.

H.M.A.S. Lookback

F.M.L.

R.I.P. Bon

R.I.P. Foghorn

I Heart H.C.

O.M.G.I.M.Y.

and now D.I.E.

1 hour ago, KiLLa CaM said:

TBH while I agree bands eventually can't keep pumping out the same type of material over and over, this album is a huge disappointment. I'm a long time fan of this band, and this new sound really is not what I think of when when I want to listen to "The Amity Affliction". What really annoys me is that almost every song follows the same exact structure, starting over slow or melodic and gradually building up to a heavier part/break/solo about 3/4 of the way through the track. There's hardly much variety, and I think I like 5 songs off the whole album. Regardless of songs people think sound cringy, it's just an extremely weak album compared to previous material and to me takes the 3rd worst spot under Cold World from OM&M and whatever garbage album Suicide Silence last put out (can't eveen remember the name that's how much I disliked it). Last album was my least favorite, with Chasing Ghosts and Let the Ocean Take Me being my top 2 to get a sense of what I enjoy hearing from them.

While I can appreciate them trying to do something different, to me it just doesn't work. The only reason I even like a lot of it, is because they have such good sounding instruments and 2 amazing vocalists. It's rough for fans who enjoy a specific genre and then a band almost completely abandons that for a more mainstream or alternative sound, but some bands can pull it off. This was not a band that accomplished this, and I for one loved Bring Me the Horion's last album and sound change.

Probably a 5/10 for me seeing as how I liked almost half the songs. Just my opinion, but I figured I'd provide some real context and actual reasons for disliking rather than just bashing it without saying why. Take it as you will

"What really annoys me is that almost every song follows the same exact structure, starting over slow or melodic and gradually building up to a heavier part/break/solo about 3/4 of the way through the track."

This. This has been one of my biggest gripes with TAA from the start - they have lazy, boring songwriting. Beartooth has the same problem. Also the lyrics generally suck, the cleans have sucked for most of their career and the instruments are mediocre. I've seen this band live over 5 times and I used to like them but one day it just clicked with me that they suck because they don't have much talent due to the issues stated. I agree that the new sound doesn't work and thats because they lack the talent to integrate the new elements well. Another turnoff for me? About 70% of their fans at live shows are under 18. This is a band for kids in their angsty phase as that is the target audience the lyrics appeal to and the instruments are mediocre.

I'm 21, an album of songs about dying is very tiring considering it's been done 999x before and much better. If you want good emo stuff hmu, but this is not it. Their old style was stellar (remember I hate Hartley? That was the peak for this band). I first saw this band in 2011, ever since Chasing Ghosts came out I've noticed the crowds got younger and younger. When I saw them at a festival in 2014 (around LTOTM), I noticed loads of 15 year old emo kids filling their crowds and it made me wonder what I was doing at a show full of kids. Last time I saw them (supporting a band in 2016), this was more true than ever. As I've aged I've reality how mediocre this band are.

24 minutes ago, krjohns2 said:

@popcore182 They use this naming style on most of their albums.

H.M.A.S. Lookback

F.M.L.

R.I.P. Bon

R.I.P. Foghorn

I Heart H.C.

O.M.G.I.M.Y.

and now D.I.E.

This is all true but its not just about naming techniques, this song is literally abbreviated in the song the same way F.I.G.H.T. is and its just a bit of a coincidence when their overall sound has changed to match the "other" band that springs to mind.

in saying that i find this song quite catchy actually, not saying its a bad number it just follows a familiar format to FIGHT. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Gabox said:

@The Top Hat 

dude who brings up jokes about the skin color ? you are racist af homie or you got autism idk

i wasn't even making a joke about skin color, i was making a pun about the old youtube channel "Whitest Kids U Know" a group of people who did funny skits

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I'm very impressed. I'm kind of biased since this band has always been in my top ten. However, I wasn't too big on Heartbreak  because it felt like a rehashed version of Ocean. I'm glad they decided to switch things up and go a different route. This record feels fresh and I'm really enjoying it. 

These choruses are huge. 

To think that one of the most painfully generic bands would release such a refreshing album. This is everything I was hoping for after Feels Like I'm Dying, especially Misery. Beautiful vocals and production on every song. 

D.I.E. is very stupid.

• Upvote 4

Unbenannt.PNG.608ad8c221b6dcec8081cab805b2cf99.PNG

safasf.PNG.e0506e2343bf8ef53aad43fb48ead36c.PNG