ANNOUNCEMENT: We are please to announce that @967-EVIL has been promoted to Administrator! Please help us in congratulating him on his promotion!
mR12

The Amity Affliction - Misery (2018)

115 posts in this topic

What's this? No Children's choir????? 0/10 Worst album of the year

Jokes aside I'm digging this album, the weakest track by far is D.I.E. especially lyrically but other than that it's pretty good, the instruments sound fucking incredible and thats probably because the guy who produced the new Underoath album also produced this. I hope he gets more work with more Metalcore artists since so far he's doing an amazing job imo. My favorite track by far is Drag The Lake (Ahren's vocals on that song are by far the best on the album), and the song The Gifthorse ends the album strong and powerful like I was expecting. It's a nice change in sound especially after the previous 3 albums (even though Chasing Ghosts and LTOTM are great and some of TCBH as well) sounding basically the same. So far it's growing on me and might be one of my favorites of the year.

8/10

Favorites: Holier Than Heaven, Kick Rocks, Drag The Lake, Black Cloud, The Gifthorse

Least Favorite: D.I.E., Misery

• Upvote 3

Other Releases by

Coming from a big Amity fan during the Youngbloods era that lost interest over the last few releases, I really enjoyed this. Drag The Lake is one of the best songs that they've dropped in years. 8/10.

• Upvote 2

Doomsday: good song but eh (6/10)

Feels Like I'm Dying: grew on me (7.5/10)

Holier Than Heaven: solid tune, gives me a little Youngbloods vibe (8/10)

Burn Alive: 50/50 at the moment, bit boring (5/10)

Misery: nothing amazing, but that break in the middle is cool as fuck (6/10)

Kick Rocks: chorus is huge, catchy af (8/10)

Black Cloud: tune, breakdown is hard EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH noise is nice (8/10)

D.I.E: i don't really like the spelt out lyrics cause they feel a bit dragged out in some parts, but the chorus makes up for it (7/10)

Drag The Lake: this just gives me Severedties vibes in some parts and I fucking love it, best song so far (10/10)

Beltsville Blues: good song but again nothing amazing (6.5/10)

Set Me Free: sound effects are kinda unnecessary, but they work real well at the same time, i like it, and that breakdown/solo at the end is 100% severedties feels holy FUCK (9/10)

The GIfthorse: very chill, real good way to end the album though. I've always wanted an Amity song like this, works so well. (8.5/10)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Overall, this album is a lot better than I expected, wow. While it isn't amazing, it's a lot better than the past 2 albums they have released as a whole.

I've been a massive fan of Amity since Severedties came out, and honestly from Youngbloods-TCBHB it has kinda been a downhill slope,  just because It was the same recycled album/formula with the same/similar lyrics. And everyone asked for a change, and they did, and they did it well.

There's no part of the album that feels like they went "too over the top" and it doesn't stray too far from Amity's sound, but holds a lot more energy because it's something fresh. And I feel like even the songs I gave a lower rating will grow on me even more after a couple of listens, but there isn't any track on the album that I consider "awful", it's just that they don't stand for much on their own. 

Keen to give this a couple more spins. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Badest album ever from them. something new, okay. a new direction? others like it maybe!

the synthesiser, electronic (to much in my opinion) insted of bass or guitar. its not my thing, sorry guys!

6 of 10 points from me!

Nice, been looking forward to this one. Thank you for posting. 

444x250_Slipknot_-_Nero_Forte_[OFFICIAL_VIDEO].gif

expected disappointment but this is actually good, sounds fresh for them without "sellout" feeling

See I 've never liked these guys.
I Swear to god I went through all their songs in the attempt to understand why ppl like them so much. I only liked ''Death's Hand''. Besides that one, everything else is pretty generic and quite uninspired (I dont like using the word generic too), even though both singers have pipes.
Now this, sounds refined and it's good.

• Upvote 1

A few good songs and some absolutely awful songs.

D.I.E is terrible along with Feels Like I'm Dying, Black Cloud and Burn Alive.

Ivy is alright and Kick. Rocks 

Probably gets a 4/10

• Upvote 1

I guess I have to listen to it since not everyone thinks it is shit.

Absolutely love it. Gonna post a whole spiel soon. For the time being, the quality of this transition is comparable to what BMTH and ISS have recently accomplished. Like anything, this isn’t necessarily for everyone but there’s a whole lot to enjoy here.

This is one of those bands where I always DL their records but never get around to listening..maybe I'll finally try em and just start from Chasing Ghosts on 

Im not gonna do a track by track, but wow. I'm impressed.

Favorites: Doomsday, Holier Than Heaven, Kick Rocks,Black Cloud,Drag The Lake,The Gifthorse

Indifferent: Feels Like I'm Dying, D.I.E (i kinda like it, but the spelling out words part makes me kinda eh on it), Beltsville Blues

Pass: Set Me Free (Good song, but i feel that it dosent match with the rest)

All in all, i love the album, better than This Could Be Heartbreak & Let The Ocean Take Me. Dont get me wrong, i like those album, but they're not as good as say, Youngbloods or Severed Ties. This album is more like a mix of their older sound and a new direction in sound 

8.5/10

1 hour ago, pati84 said:

Badest album ever from them. something new, okay. a new direction? others like it maybe!

the synthesiser, electronic (to much in my opinion) insted of bass or guitar. its not my thing, sorry guys!

6 of 10 points from me!

Badest is a word? ?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Physyadelic said:

Badest is a word? ?

No. They’re either foreign or an idiot.

Its a really good album and pretty much all the songs are good songs but the lack of heaviness really hurts the albums stability.  3.5/5

• Upvote 2

tumblr_mb34zsMLZ51r74zpdo1_500.gif

I love this band but I dont know what the fuck is going on with this album sounds like a huge mess 

8 minutes ago, Gabox said:

lol the die song has to be cringiest song ever,  what a joke, these grown men still write lyrics like fucking fags teens,  get over it or already kill yourself lmao 

Woah, we get it, you don't like it, climb down from that edge please

• Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, Gabox said:

lol the die song has to be cringiest song ever,  what a joke, these grown men still write lyrics like fucking fags teens,  get over it or already kill yourself lmao 

Don’t you have anything better to do than get this worked up about grown men making corny lyrics, lol. I haven’t even listened to this album, but I know Amity always had some cringy lyrics. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Gabox said:

Oh, wow. Well said. Fuck anyone enjoying this. Right?! Nice, keep doing you ??

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Gabox said:

how white are you 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

EFo5Hj3XoAAmas3.jpg

26 minutes ago, Gabox said:

Jesus the salt is strong with this comment

I haven’t listened to a single thing this band has done since their first album. Is their sound really that different since then?

4 minutes ago, Buttercup420 said:

I haven’t listened to a single thing this band has done since their first album. Is their sound really that different since then?

Kinda but more polished and with more synths and stuff. Last few records had 15 breakdowns in each song and pretty much the same song structure too, but this one is vastly different. Dunno if you’ll dig it tho 

EFo5Hj3XoAAmas3.jpg

Easily my favorite album of theirs SINCE Youngbloods, no question.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

brdsx.gif

I honestly wasn't expecting too much, figured it'd be a typical Amity record with a similar sound to all of their recent albums. With that said, I absolutely fucking love the direction they took. This album is extremely refreshing, as it doesn't sound like the last 3 records they put out. I've always been a major Amity fan, but even I admit that their recent releases sound almost exactly the same. They executed their new sound incredibly without having a generic "sellout" type feel. This record really shows how they've matured as a band recently. With that being said, I'll leave my track-by-track rating below.

• Ivy (Doomsday)

From the moment I heard this song, I actually fell in love with it. While it is definitely softer than their previous records, it shows how much they've matured and really is a beautiful, relaxing song to vibe out to, and also has a great breakdown towards the end.

Rating: 8/10

• Feels Like I'm Dying

To me, this song is easily one of the weakest on the album. I don't really like the cut in the middle where they interrupt Joel's scream for a soft electronic beat. While it's still a decent song, I just found this song to be extremely underwhelming, especially as a second single to the album. 

Rating: 6.5/10

• Holier Than Heaven

This song is an incredible follow-up to Feels Like I'm Dying, especially considering how underwhelming that song was. Holier Than Heaven perfectly balances the old school heavy Amity with some of their newer stuff. The breakdown at the end is nasty as hell, and the rest of the song is extremely catchy. Definitely one of the stronger songs on the album.

Rating: 9/10

• Burn Alive

Another softer song on the album, seems like a mix of Feels Like I'm Dying and Ivy, but even better. The song has a somber, yet oddly happy tune to it, and is extremely catchy. The bridge towards the ending song is simple, yet fits incredibly well. This song really makes me think of Forest Fire off of "Let The Ocean Take Me", as it has that same vibe. Very catchy and fits well in the album.

Rating: 8/10

• Misery

The title track of the album is extremely, uh how do I say this...different. But don't take that as a bad thing, it's different in a good way. This song mixes the electronic elements of the elements with Ahren's somber vocals and Joel's painstaking screams. The chorus is odd, yet extremely addictive. The break in the middle has an electronic beat switch which furthers the somber mood of the song. Perhaps I'm just biased because I can relate to the lyrics of the song on a personal level, but this is actually probably my favorite song on the album. Very, very solid, but very different aswell.

Rating: 9.5.10

• Kick Rocks

Another strong point in the album; Kick Rocks is an extremely catchy and melodic tune. While this does have electronic elements, the instrumentation is extremely solid on this song especially. The chorus is incredibly addictive, and even after 3 listens, I still find myself singing along to it. This song is a major strong point in the album and I love it!

• Black Cloud

While I wasn't particularly enthralled by this song upon first listen, it quickly grew on me. As with the majority of this album, the explosively catchy chorus gives me a Let The Ocean Take Me vibe, aswell as the breakdown towards the end. Once again, another strong point for the album.

Rating: 8.5/10

• D.I.E.

Ahh, the clearly most debated song on the album. While the song isn't lyrically anything special, and is very cliche, I do find it quite catchy. It is definitely down there with Feels Like I'm Dying in terms of weaker songs on the album, but even as a weaker song, it is still a incredibly catchy song. Not bad but by no means not great.

Rating: 7/10

• Drag The Lake

This song has a similar vibe to Kick Rocks, and as with that song, this song is great. The chorus is one of the best on the album easily. This album has a small electronic vibe to it, but the instrumentals are incredible once again. A very relaxed song to listen to perhaps on a late night car ride or when relaxing. 

Rating: 8.5/10

• Beltsville Blues

Such a beautiful song from every aspect. Has some great riffs, beautiful chorus delivered by Ahren, incredible clean verses delivered by Joel, it's all there. I find myself returning to this song and Misery  the most. The breakdown hits hard and transitions into the chorus well. Lyrically, it's one of the most depressing songs on the album, but for that reason, I really enjoy it.

Rating: 9.5/10

• Set Me Free

As opposed to 11/12 songs on this album, this song actually has a positive message lyrically. The song is one of the softer tunes on the album, yet the breakdown definitely packs a punch. I'm not a huge fan of the chorus, and I find the majority of the instrumentals too "happy" for me, as it just feels out of place from the rest of the album. Not a bad song, but as with D.I.E. or Feels Like I'm Dying, it's by no means the best.

Rating: 7/10

• The Gifthorse

Amity completes the cycle of Misery with a calm, somber tune -- and I don't think they could've done it any better way. The chorus is beautiful and hits hard, but the verses hit harder emotionally. The ending of the song is beautiful and sad, and I believe it perfectly sums up the album to what it is. 

Overall Rating: 8.3/10

• Upvote 5

Surprised how much I enjoy this. Kudos for doing something different and really pulling it off. 

• Upvote 2

Thank you so much been refreshing the website every morning just to listen to this <3

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1