Chief

Dance Gavin Dance - Artificial Selection (2018)

267 posts in this topic

Jon: "Eye yai yai yai yai! I'm stuffed! Eye yai yai yai yai! Nice pup! Eye yai, eye yai eye yai eye yai! Aye yai yai ya I'll never reply yuh!"

Me: I only listen to real music

Jokes aside though, album is great!

My favorite atm is "Gospel Burnout", but I'm sure that'll change the more I listen to the album.

• Love 1

💙💙💙

Other Releases by

My only complaint is there's no Swan-Rap.

• Upvote 4

Is someone else hearing heavy Summertime Gladness instrumentals throughout Suspended In This Disaster? 

• Upvote 1

t2DLnik.png

9 hours ago, BRDSX said:

Never understood deleting songs off an album, it’s on the album it stays even if I don’t like it. Story of My Bros is awesome though, so, weird.

This is the first time i've ever done it actually. That song just bugs me so much, it's bottom rung pop-punk trash and completely not what i want from DGD. Skipping it every time was a chore, so it had to go. 

11 minutes ago, Bradalee said:

This is the first time i've ever done it actually. That song just bugs me so much, it's bottom rung pop-punk trash and completely not what i want from DGD. Skipping it every time was a chore, so it had to go. 

yea wasn't really directed AT you just a general statement after seeing your comment, i gotcha though.

brdsx.gif

13 minutes ago, Bradalee said:

I don't really get how it's pop punk. Sounds nothing like pop punk to me 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, The Top Hat said:

and it's actually good too :lol: 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

17 minutes ago, The Top Hat said:

very big pop punk vibes/influences

brdsx.gif

I never really gave these guys a chance minus DBM1 and the self titled record. I always hated how high pitched Tlilian sang. But I feel like vocally he has gotten much better/less annoying this record. Plus the screams don't annoy me as much. This is a solid record. The musicianship is top notch. Really cool lyrical themes as well. 

• Upvote 1

Listened to it like 5-6 times now and i gotta say:

AOTY HYPE

I rarely write lengthy posts, i just have a lot to say about this album.

So I waited to give my opinion after listening to it in FLAC, with some nice headphones. So after listening thru this the first couple times in 128 I had my first impression already...i thought it was solid, but i wasnt as impressed as I had anticipated on being, especially an album following Mothership. But after the quality update, it really gives the album that extra oomph that it kinda needed to really appreciate the quality tunes these dudes put out, at least for me...and oh god those guitar tones are soo lovely. Personally, I enjoy this album more than Mothership, it almost has got like a more refined sound of Mothership, which was a top tier album already. Tillian sounds better then ever on this album, his voice is just so god damm silky smooth, and Jon has always been a beast, such distinct sounding screams. Count Bassy grooves. I love the way Suspended in This Disaster starts, and it has the best chorus on the album, hands down. Bloodsucker is another jam. Story of my Bro's is just simply a fun fucking song, and has my favorite lyric line in the whole album; "im smoking weed out of a pussy filled with money i like this". And If you're not smoking weed out of a pussy, you're doing it wrong. Shelf Life is probably my favorite if I absolutely had to pick just one song, it's just incredible from start to finish, it meshes older DGD with their newer sound so flawlessly. I also think that the singles they released were perfect representations/teases of what to expect out of the album. Normally when I listen to singles before the album I over play the shit out of them, so when the album actually drops I'm almost over them already, but these ones are still solid songs to listen to in the flow of the album. Son of Robot is a great opening track. The middle groovy part of Midnight Crusade is so beautiful. Care is meh in comparison to the rest of the album, it just blends in. The only song I honestly dont really care for and find myself skipping, is Flash. Everything else on this album is pure gold. DGD has done it again. And lets be honest, it wouldnt be a DGD album if it wasn't an AOTY contender ?‍♂️ well that's just my two cents.

Also. This is not pop punk... in the slightest bit. Influences/Elements of pop punk, sure. But musically it sounds nothing like pop punk. I'd say alternative before pop punk

I never understood why people delete songs off albums after a few listens. For me theres always a chance that songs I dont like at the start become my favourite on the album.

Also Im surprised so much people dont seem to like Care.

• Upvote 1

I really enjoy the new album, but I’m in my car at the drive-in cinema right now and I just listened to man of the year for the 1000+ times and sadly, it’s just a reminder of how Mothership is superior to me. Tilian was at his best range wise. Those harsh clean parts were the shit... I really don’t get why he decided to completely remove this from the whole album this time around. It’s not like he did this to let all the place to Jon which is underused a lot in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong tho, the new album is still a delight, but I just wish there were more vocals and heavier parts like in Mothership.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

DGD still doin' it sexy long-dick style like usual

Really like this album just as much as all their previous releases. One of the few groups that understand the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" motto

2 minutes ago, Smickey said:

DGD still doin' it sexy long-dick style like usual

Really like this album just as much as all their previous releases. One of the few groups that understand the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" motto

you have a dick fascination, it is 2018 so do your thing though.

21 hours ago, Tiggobitz said:

I rarely write lengthy posts, i just have a lot to say about this album.

So I waited to give my opinion after listening to it in FLAC, with some nice headphones. So after listening thru this the first couple times in 128 I had my first impression already...i thought it was solid, but i wasnt as impressed as I had anticipated on being, especially an album following Mothership. But after the quality update, it really gives the album that extra oomph that it kinda needed to really appreciate the quality tunes these dudes put out, at least for me...and oh god those guitar tones are soo lovely. Personally, I enjoy this album more than Mothership, it almost has got like a more refined sound of Mothership, which was a top tier album already. Tillian sounds better then ever on this album, his voice is just so god damm silky smooth, and Jon has always been a beast, such distinct sounding screams. Count Bassy grooves. I love the way Suspended in This Disaster starts, and it has the best chorus on the album, hands down. Bloodsucker is another jam. Story of my Bro's is just simply a fun fucking song, and has my favorite lyric line in the whole album; "im smoking weed out of a pussy filled with money i like this". And If you're not smoking weed out of a pussy, you're doing it wrong. Shelf Life is probably my favorite if I absolutely had to pick just one song, it's just incredible from start to finish, it meshes older DGD with their newer sound so flawlessly. I also think that the singles they released were perfect representations/teases of what to expect out of the album. Normally when I listen to singles before the album I over play the shit out of them, so when the album actually drops I'm almost over them already, but these ones are still solid songs to listen to in the flow of the album. Son of Robot is a great opening track. The middle groovy part of Midnight Crusade is so beautiful. Care is meh in comparison to the rest of the album, it just blends in. The only song I honestly dont really care for and find myself skipping, is Flash. Everything else on this album is pure gold. DGD has done it again. And lets be honest, it wouldnt be a DGD album if it wasn't an AOTY contender ?‍♂️ well that's just my two cents.

Also. This is not pop punk... in the slightest bit. Influences/Elements of pop punk, sure. But musically it sounds nothing like pop punk. I'd say alternative before pop punk

who said they were pop punk?

brdsx.gif

2 minutes ago, BRDSX said:

you have a dick fascination, it is 2018 so do your thing though.

who said they were pop punk?

I get those DGD cummies in my mouth whenever I listen to Tilian's seductive voice and Jon's penetrating screams

On 6/2/2018 at 9:51 PM, PhantomFear said:

DGD is one of those bands I could never get into, and I've tried SOO many times. Just not my thing, respect tho to them and everyone who likes them, they are unique af. 

I wanted to really get into this band a while back but I just couldn't vibe with Tilian's vocals. More specifically from their earlier works with him; like Acceptance Speech. I didn't like the production and quality of his voice. Instant Gratification came out and I tried time after time to listen and enjoy their work. It just wasn't connecting well with my ears. I then discovered Death of a Strawberry; it was basically love at first 'hear?'. That sound was the determining factor when it came to my opinion of the band. I listened to them on and off but then Mothership was released and voted AOTY on KL. I got the album and was incredibly impressed. They are now one of my favorite bands of all time and I even pre-ordered Artificial Selection bundle with a Midnight Crusade shirt. The first time I ever bought a new album. I can easily say that I listen to them almost everyday and enjoy doing so. I definitely understand how you feel though. Sorry for the novel I just wrote; just felt like sharing my experience with this band. Thanks.

• Love 2

Not getting into it as much as I did with Mothership. It's a solid release, but I don't think it'll be one I go back to as for DBM I, Happiness and Mothership.

I'm kinda late but....

STORY OF MY BROS!

• Upvote 2

took a few listens to get into this. kinda dead between 6-11. favorite songs: midnight crusade, suspended in this disaster, care, count bassy, bloodsucker. the anthology bridge in evaporate was really cool too. saw them 2 weeks ago and they killed it

carlin2.gif

After many listens, and the fact that these fuckers still haven't sent my merch my honest review of this album is pretty disappointed. 

In my honest opinion it falls VERY far below the expectations of the bois. Especially after the solid track that was "Summertime Gladness". After a couple singles I thought "eh those were probably the weaker tracks and the rest will be groovy af and full of bangers where Jon will go off like he did in Mothership. 

Sadly, this is not the case. The album doesn't groove as well as the past 2 albums and honestly doesn't have many memorable songs compared to those 2 previous albums either. It felt rushed, and didn't flow as well as previous releases. Each song felt static and the rhythm never gave me that smile or groovy feeling when normally listening to DGD. I'm actually very disappointed.

I also thought perhaps with all the great releases that preceded this one maybe my opinion was obscured so I ask my gf before giving her my take on the album.

"So what do you think of the new DGD album?" And she responded "I like it...but it's nowhere near as good as Mothership...like I'm pretty upset about it. It's not as groovy. And after Summertime Gladness I figured the new album would be as fun and groovy but it just feels pretty lame. They have and could have done better tbh."

So I think this year Bleed From Within, Parkway Drive, Sevendust, Breaking Benjamin, or someone else will get my vote for AOTY. Not to mention if As I Lay Dying drops their new album this year then forget about it. That new single was a great tease for an upcoming record. 

Closing thoughts, this is a good album BUT not a great one and certainly not a great DGD album and could have been so much more. As someone who loves DGD, buys their merch, albums, even vinyls I can honestly say that if it were possible to get a refund on my merch bundles that are still "delayed here's a 25% off next purchase coupon to compensate you" I would. I really hope they get some inspiration or take some time off touring before the next album and really write and record a much more groovy,flowing, banger of a record.

This album is literally ArSe. Hopefully the next one's better. ):

On 6/2/2018 at 9:55 PM, SHINEBOXX said:

Thanks for the education lesson lol I had no idea that is how it worked.  I have been converting 128/192/256/VBRs to 320 for years now thinking it would make a difference. I mean to me it sounds a tiny bit better but that could just be my dumb ears hearing what they want to hear lol Now knowing that I am a dumb dumb when it comes to transcodes, I will stop that now unless I have lossless music files. I just think of all that wasted time and effort I put in converting music over the years... makes me sad now lol

I just saw this but right on, glad I could help. Anything "better" you're hearing is simply perception bias. You expect it to sound better so your brain plays a trick. But converting the bitrates you mentioned to 320 simply makes the files larger/take up more space with no added benefit.

Oh how I miss What.CD

• Upvote 1

WYv5vZr.gif

The Rattler is one of the best songs I have ever heard from this band. Gospel Burnout is also outstanding. I wish they didnt release the last 3 albums and instead only used the best songs to make one big masterpiece

Unbenannt.PNG.608ad8c221b6dcec8081cab805b2cf99.PNG

safasf.PNG.e0506e2343bf8ef53aad43fb48ead36c.PNG

So I was listening through their discog, as I do with any band about to release something a few weeks from when they do, and came to this thread to see what I thought about it. And. I said this was best DGD album? Tf. Gave it a ten, double tf? I don't think either of these things now. Albums a solid 7.5-8 at best. 

Album is definitely worse than I remember, and if I had to reevaluate my ratings from way earlier

Instant Gratification > Happiness > Mothership > Acceptance Speech > DBM > ArSe > Self Titled > DBM2.

• Upvote 1

Definitely not as good as their new album. 2.5/5 for me, but the 7 songs I do like are amazing