Chief

Dance Gavin Dance - Artificial Selection (2018)

267 posts in this topic

In case anyone is interested, here are all of the lyrical references at the end of Evaporate:

Spoiler
  • Me and Zoloft Get Along Just Fine ("Oh, you should have listened to your friends, you would've been over this by now")
  • Surprise! I'm From Cuba, Everyone has One Brain ("Step back, let go" / "I believe there's meaning, no I believe there's nothing")
  • And I Told Them I Invented Times New Roman ("I'm found")
  • Acceptance Speech ("Who drains the blood from my head? I do, I do.  Who accepts me as I am?  I do, I do.")
  • Tree Village ("What excuses do you make?" / "Repeat, repeat our history")
  • We Own the Night ("We own the night")
  • The Backwards Pumpkin Song ("For one good note")
  • Alex English ("Well don't it feel good?  You got what you paid for")

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

Other Releases by

Got this queued after Instant Gratification, so excited to listen to it

Thanks KL❤

• Upvote 1

115683106_BitterPiccy.jpg.2d236e5a4f796df6dede15f417522d3b.jpg

lastfm_black.gif.91f8144a457ece93c6601c67606c1d82.gif.96766e32a354e166e2036eb38a299b16.gif     rsz_spotify.png.3d59151ccfacd78883deaa07ccb0264d.png

Damn didn't expect a leak this early, AOTY obv

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

1218015982_KLSigsmaller.jpg.ab4a9f73146d9c51a558272ed55040eb.jpg

I love Andrew Wells. :cry: The album is really good IMO, but there's a couple songs that are meh to me (Shelf Life and Care which is still growing on me). The Rattler and Evaporate blew my pants off. 

• Upvote 1

I decided to essentially binge Dance Gavin Dance’s discography in preparation for this. I hadn’t gotten to Tillian’s albums when I noticed this leaked. So fresh of the heels of listening to Jonny and Kurt, this was a bit of a shock to the system. It also doesn’t help that I work soon and I’m running on 5 hours of sleep. Upon first listen, it is a very good record albeit a little bloated. I feel like Slouch and Hair Song could’ve been cut and the album would have been better, but still not as good as Mothership. Currently sitting at an 8/10 for me

I'mma keep it real with you Chief. This may be my least favorite album from DGD. This is from just my first listen through, and at 128, but it really didn't grab me like any other album did.

The Rattler, Midnight Crusade, Shelf Life and Evaporate are really the only ones that come to mind. I'll give it a few more spins at 320 cause I need to hear Will shred.

Definitely not AOTY, but i'm sure it'll win it.

• Upvote 1

jesus the fucking chorus for Suspended in this disaster gets me hard

• Love 1

Reallllly good album as always, but it can't top Mothership.

The main thing for me that makes it feel like a lesser album is that Jon and Tilian had such an amazing synchronicity on Mothership, playing off one another and leading into each others parts. But this time around it feels more like a standard post-hardcore verse trading, which isn't as flowing or captivating. And Story of my bros is straight up pop punk trash, hands down the worst the DGD song out of all the line-ups.

Seems a few people here really dislike Slouch, but i enjoyed that one a lot. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bradalee said:

Reallllly good album as always, but it can't top Mothership.

The main thing for me that makes it feel like a lesser album is that Jon and Tilian had such an amazing synchronicity on Mothership, playing off one another and leading into each others parts. But this time around it feels more like a standard post-hardcore verse trading, which isn't as flowing or captivating. 

I talked about the same thing in my review, I agree.

• Upvote 3

I have never heard anything like the intro to the Rattler before. Really cool song, really cool album. AOTY, I don't know, my top 3 however (no order) is:

- The Plot In You

- DGD

- The Wonder Years

Word of advice: You guys are comparing this to Mothership too strongly - the point of DGD albums is to be different with each release - this album appears to have experimented with the softer style so its an entirely different beast. No song will beat Betrayed by the Game. This album is poppier than Mothership by a mile but still amazing.

Also -- I really like Slouch, it's very different and has a more rock and roll vibe to it. It ends really abruptly though, but kinda funnily. 

How do you not like Story of my Bros? What a tune.

Bloodsucker has the best chorus.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, xcblackdiamond said:

I talked about the same thing in my review, I agree.

Ahah i just went back read it, glad someone else heard it too. Took me 5 or 6 songs to put my finger on what was missing, then it clicked. Still going to love this album and play the hell out of it, i'm sure the post-Mothership hangup will fade in time. 

• Upvote 1

ilu KL

14 songs, christ, good. I know song # effectively means nothing in the face of quality over quantity, but god am I sick of more and more bands releasing 7-9 song albums that feel like they're over before they start. This is nice. Possibility for bloat aside. I'd rather cherry pick singles to loop ad nauseum than make-do with a short album I have to listen to front-to-back.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SHINEBOXX said:

From my understanding, a "transcode" is converting something of lower quality to a higher quality. Therefore I am converting the 128 rip into a decent sounding 320. I know it isn't a true 320 (thats why its called transcode) but it does make it sound a tiny bit better. So unless I (and Google) have a misunderstanding of what a transcode is then by all means, enlighten me with your knowledge.

Sigh.... that's now how it works. By converting a lower bitrate into a higher bitrate you are only creating more artifacts. It's like taking a small image and blowing it up and it starts to pixellate.. that's exactly what you're doing. MP3 is a lossy format. Lossy meaning you lose data/information in the file each time you transcode it. You can only transcode Lossless > Lossless or Lossless > Lossy without losing quality. Consider yourself "enlightened".

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

WYv5vZr.gif

wow dude, u saved my whole month! iam drinking right now a beer for u! greetings from austria <3 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

tumblr_mttgabOKue1r85uiyo1_500.gif

album flows great and each song has a cool memorable part while varying in styles more than they did before. also the bass is mixed great! love hearing tim good even in a lower quality rip.

a real cool album overall, liking it more than mothership so far

still gonna wait for better quality obviously but this is a tolerable one

edit: also story of my bros and slouch actually slap 

and hair song is one of my favorites 

suspended is a big highlight, guitar there might be my fav from this album. will and the guest guitarist did an amazing job 

count bassy into flash is sick 

6 hours ago, PhantomFear said:

8983F749-0066-4445-979E-8B654AC34510.jpeg

Too true

Fuck yeah guise 

• Upvote 1

Wow wasn't expecting this crap come on state champs or painc! At the disco 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Andydobson12 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=8762729

• Haha 2

brdsx.gif

3 minutes ago, Andydobson12 said:

chill

EFo5Hj3XoAAmas3.jpg

Sounds very good so far, haven't heard the entire thing though. Still think Jon Mess' vocals are pretty bad, or at least annoying. The less screams the better, because everyone else in this band is incredible.

• Sad 2

Just now, Maxi Milian said:

Sounds very good so far, haven't heard the entire thing though. Still think Jon Mess' vocals are pretty bad, or at least annoying. The less screams the better, because everyone else in this band is incredible.

Jon has improved a lot however, was atrocious on Self Titled 

Not as good as the last two albums for me but a good handful of beautiful bangers make me love it still (Imma say 8/10 as a few others have already too)

Just as good as Mothership imo. Count Bassy is a fucking masterpiece.

• Love 1

Just now, Zzzonked said:

Just as good as Mothership imo. Count Bassy is a fucking masterpiece.

The instruments for the chorus on Count Bassy are wonderful to the ears. They mesh great with the vocals 

• Upvote 1

Copying and pasting my initial listens notes, interesting to see that a lot of people feel the same way I do based on what I've seen in this thread so far

Son of Robot - Pretty generic, albeit still fun for an opener. Has some ballad qualities, but Jon's parts are by far the highlights of the song. Not reinventing the wheel, but still cool. 8/10

Midnight Crusade - Again, not reinventing the wheel, but a great groove and one of the most earwormy choruses they've ever written. Breakdown towards the end is hype. 9/10

Suspended In This Disaster - One of the more funky songs they've written. Chorus is big, and Tilian's vocal performance is dynamic. Good balance between Jon and Tilian. 8.5/10

Care - Primarily a ballad, so Jon's parts feel forced. Good funky instrumental, but this is an overload of Tilian. Doesn't achieve anything you couldn't hear on another DGD song. Very meh overall. 6.5/10

Count Bassy - Slow, almost soulful ballad. Once again an overload of Tilian. Jon's part towards the end is great, but this is practically two straight songs centered around Tilian's vocals. Kind of exhausting when done this early into the album. 7/10

Flash - Another song that focuses on lighter instrumentation. Lacks any real standout elements aside from featuring a bit more of Jon's vocals than the last couple of tracks. A forgettable, generic DGD track. 5.5/10

The Rattler - Now THIS is what I've been waiting for. Heavy, sinister, Jon focused. In fact, Jon goes absolutely nuts on this track. May be one of the best songs Jon has ever done. Totally breaks up the monotony of the last couple of tracks. Ending is pure evil. 9/10

Shelf Life - Good to hear Kurt on a DGD track again, but this feels more like an A Lot Like Birds track than Happiness-era DGD, which is fine. Kurt and Tilian trading verses is a really good move. Beautiful track. 8.5/10

Slouch - One of the most fun songs on the album. The instrumentation is head-bob enducing. Great balance between Jon and Tilian. Dynamic track, and super fun at that. 9/10

Story of My Bros - Big pop-punk vibes from the instrumental. Works for the track...but just barely. Compared to the "lighter" songs on the record, this is one of the better ones. Fun, catchy, but nothing stands out big time. 7.5/10

Hair Song - Another one that doesn't really stand out. If anything, Jon's parts are cool and work really well. This is just an average performance from Tilian, and the instrumentation is fairly run-of-the-mill by their standards. 6.5/10

Gospel Burnout - Another fairly forgettable song. The "shut that shit down" part is fun, but the song comes and goes without leaving much of an impression. Another Tilian heavy song. 6.5/10

Bloodsucker - A fun instrumental, with a good balance between Jon and Tilian, but Tilian's "popcorn in my belly" line was cringeworthy. Seems to have a message preaching against false accusations? Need to read the lyrics more closely, but that's sketchy. Good song otherwise. 8/10

Evaporate - One of the heavier songs on the record, but simultaneously one of the most powerful and well executed ballads on the record. Andrew Wells absolutely kills it on this track. Logical choise for an album closer. Callbacks to some really old DGD tracks (Zoloft, Tree Village, Alex English) which was neat to hear. 8.5/10

Overall - Not many new or groundbreaking elements that you couldn't find on a previous DGD record, but the songs are (largely) well executed. Not one of their best efforts overall, but DGD very rarely miss, even on their weaker works. There were, however, a couple misses on the tracklisting here. Arguably their least interesting album ever. Again, still better than most records that have come out this year, but disappointing for what I've come to expect of DGD. 7.5/10

listen to Silent Planet.

3 minutes ago, moshlyfe said:

Copying and pasting my initial listens notes, interesting to see that a lot of people feel the same way I do based on what I've seen in this thread so far

Son of Robot - Pretty generic, albeit still fun for an opener. Has some ballad qualities, but Jon's parts are by far the highlights of the song. Not reinventing the wheel, but still cool. 8/10

Midnight Crusade - Again, not reinventing the wheel, but a great groove and one of the most earwormy choruses they've ever written. Breakdown towards the end is hype. 9/10

Suspended In This Disaster - One of the more funky songs they've written. Chorus is big, and Tilian's vocal performance is dynamic. Good balance between Jon and Tilian. 8.5/10

Care - Primarily a ballad, so Jon's parts feel forced. Good funky instrumental, but this is an overload of Tilian. Doesn't achieve anything you couldn't hear on another DGD song. Very meh overall. 6.5/10

Count Bassy - Slow, almost soulful ballad. Once again an overload of Tilian. Jon's part towards the end is great, but this is practically two straight songs centered around Tilian's vocals. Kind of exhausting when done this early into the album. 7/10

Flash - Another song that focuses on lighter instrumentation. Lacks any real standout elements aside from featuring a bit more of Jon's vocals than the last couple of tracks. A forgettable, generic DGD track. 5.5/10

The Rattler - Now THIS is what I've been waiting for. Heavy, sinister, Jon focused. In fact, Jon goes absolutely nuts on this track. May be one of the best songs Jon has ever done. Totally breaks up the monotony of the last couple of tracks. Ending is pure evil. 9/10

Shelf Life - Good to hear Kurt on a DGD track again, but this feels more like an A Lot Like Birds track than Happiness-era DGD, which is fine. Kurt and Tilian trading verses is a really good move. Beautiful track. 8.5/10

Slouch - One of the most fun songs on the album. The instrumentation is head-bob enducing. Great balance between Jon and Tilian. Dynamic track, and super fun at that. 9/10

Story of My Bros - Big pop-punk vibes from the instrumental. Works for the track...but just barely. Compared to the "lighter" songs on the record, this is one of the better ones. Fun, catchy, but nothing stands out big time. 7.5/10

Hair Song - Another one that doesn't really stand out. If anything, Jon's parts are cool and work really well. This is just an average performance from Tilian, and the instrumentation is fairly run-of-the-mill by their standards. 6.5/10

Gospel Burnout - Another fairly forgettable song. The "shut that shit down" part is fun, but the song comes and goes without leaving much of an impression. Another Tilian heavy song. 6.5/10

Bloodsucker - A fun instrumental, with a good balance between Jon and Tilian, but Tilian's "popcorn in my belly" line was cringeworthy. Seems to have a message preaching against false accusations? Need to read the lyrics more closely, but that's sketchy. Good song otherwise. 8/10

Evaporate - One of the heavier songs on the record, but simultaneously one of the most powerful and well executed ballads on the record. Andrew Wells absolutely kills it on this track. Logical choise for an album closer. Callbacks to some really old DGD tracks (Zoloft, Tree Village, Alex English) which was neat to hear. 8.5/10

Overall - Not many new or groundbreaking elements that you couldn't find on a previous DGD record, but the songs are (largely) well executed. Not one of their best efforts overall, but DGD very rarely miss, even on their weaker works. There were, however, a couple misses on the tracklisting here. Arguably their least interesting album ever. Again, still better than most records that have come out this year, but disappointing for what I've come to expect of DGD. 7.5/10

Nice thoughts, though I will say you're just describing a problem with the Tillian era, they found that groovy found and aren't diversifying it from that (not a bad thing, it's a great sound) 

DGD is one of those bands I could never get into, and I've tried SOO many times. Just not my thing, respect tho to them and everyone who likes them, they are unique af. 

• Upvote 1

http://www.facebook.com/DosesNJ

New song "Glass Crown" out now!
http://linktr.ee/Doses