dewey duck

Parkway Drive - Reverence (2018)

111 posts in this topic

This is easily the best release this year.  Wow!!  They released a well crafted and well thought out album.

trash

• Upvote 1

As a non Parkway fan, I still enjoyed this album, 7/10 for me 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gohans lost ability said:

My most disappointing album of the year. The blood and Chronos are the only remotely good songs on the album. 

You might need to get your ears checked then.

1 hour ago, moonlover said:

trash

Sup moonman

• Love 1

I Hope You Rot and Absolute Power are my top two :pray:

• Upvote 1

Why do I get this weird 80's vibe from this album? VanHalenCore y'alllll

*Note Im not a Parkway fan so this is the first album I listened to them*

Album Review:

Wishing Wells - 3.5/5

Prey - 4.5/5 (One of my fav Singles they released)

Absolute Power - 4/5 (Great guitar riffs)

Cemetery Bloom - 4.5/5

The Void - 3.5/5 

I Hope You Rot - 4.5/5

Shadow Boxing - 5/5 (Didn't expect a song like this actually. Really love it a lot) (Cant Stop listening to this song)

In Blood - 4.9/5 (really good just to me doesn't deserve the perfect 5 you know)

Chronos - 4.5/5

The Colour Of Leaving - 5/5 (Love this song vibes a lot wish they didn't have those steps in the song)

Total: 9/10

I think this album deserves this score. It's really good. If your new to this band I say give it a listen you will be surprised like me :)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, xdannyc said:

Why do I get this weird 80's vibe from this album? VanHalenCore y'alllll

IRE had way more 80s vibes than this

• Upvote 2

Amazing album. Better than Ire.

7 minutes ago, BRDSX said:

IRE had way more 80s vibes than this

True, although I think this one is more unique\risky

1 minute ago, xdannyc said:

True, although I think this one is more unique\risky

Def their most unique album, i enjoy the shit out of it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BRDSX said:

Def their most unique album, i enjoy the shit out of it.

But I do hate them for making me think that something is wrong with my speakers in The Colour Of Leaving :|

I think “ a deathless song” must be on this album

• Love 1

Absolute Power, I Hope You Rot, In Blood and Chronos are outstanding. Loving this album as a whole though, their melodic side is something I greatly appreciate and the uniqueness of the album ( for them ) makes me appreciate it even more.

• Upvote 1

This album has alot of alt metal, heavy metal, metalcore and nu-metal (shadowboxing rap) vibes, I see what PWD want to do its to become the next big metal act. I hope they push forward mixing those styles mentioned before and expand on them even more it would be great to see them do that as well.

But the album itself is great with a lot of standout songs and don't think I dislike one song on the album (it has been a while since that has happened) it is a solid 9/10 for me and yet another AOTY contender for me. Its going to be another great year for metal with a lot of bands not even announcing their albums yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Dwesk said:

Untitled.png 

OK you win this thread lol

As expected, the album is way overhyped. 

That aside. It’s not bad for a dadcore album. At all. Can see myself coming back to this more than Ire. Liked a few songs off this so it might be grower. 

• Upvote 3

Wow that sucked huge balls 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The Trolls are strong in this thread.  I want context to all the hyperbole!

Trying not to read the comments before listening the album!

Thankfully "Prey" is far and away the worst song.  Pleasantly surprised with this album.

• Upvote 1

It's pretty rough to see people hating this album. Lol

This album is incredible.

Absolute Power, Shadow Boxing, Chronos and The Colour of Leaving made me listen to them at least twice before I could even continue because I was enthralled.

The Void is the only song I could do without.

Winston's voice is great. Would love a country album from him honestly. (Yee haw)

I'm glad they doubled down on this new sound that is heavily influenced by more traditional "Heavy Metal" bands instead of listening to the angsty 16 year olds who wanted "real Metalcore >:'("

This is how you do justice to your influences.

9/10.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 5

6 hours ago, Gohans lost ability said:

My most disappointing album of the year. The blood and Chronos are the only remotely good songs on the album. 

And Whishing Wells

Man, it was hard to listen the entire album. I'm so dissapointed right now, I hope with time the album could grow in me, but it will take a lot because I won't be hearing it frequently. Only Whishing Wells, Chronos and In Blood are good.

• Haha 1

Super interesting. The bad songs are worse than the bad songs on Ire, while the great songs are much better than those on Ire. All in all, they picked some of the worst possible songs to use as singles. I'd say there are 5/6 songs I like on this one, which is more than I thought there'd be. I'll give it a 7/10 at best, as some of the good songs still have some complaints on my end (such as the lack of longer held screams, COME ON WINSTON YOUR SCREAMS ARE PURE WIZARDRY, DON'T HAVE SUCH A SHORT VERSE).  Not necessarily here, but in general people are over reacting like crazy and it's fuckin' hilarious, though to be fair I do understand where a lot of those people are coming from... I know I'd rather have an 8 track version of anything before Ire than a 12 track album like Reverence.

well that was dull, even for daddyrock standards

tried to find something memorable on this album but i couldn't

atleast cover art have something to look at

album has only 10 tracks and  they still put 2 fillers in, kinda sad tbh

you can call it album of the day ;)

I was pleasantly surprised by this album!  I do think that the choice of singles was poor, as *The Void* was definitely the weakest track on the album given its "dad rock style" to most "die hard fans", same with *Prey* but that song grew on me.  The rest was still obviously metalcore in my opinion with traces of heavy metal and such here and there.  *Cemetery Bloom* and *The Colour of Leaving* were the slowest songs but still good in their own respect.  My favorite songs were *I Hope You Rot*, *Shadow Boxing*, and *In Blood*.  I was not crazy about Winston's speaking vocals in most of the songs of the album.  It was done appropriately on Ire with only being on like 3 songs IIRC, but here he overdid it IMHO.  Other than that, his vocals were fantastic, clean and harsh.  Lyrics were also pretty good too.  I like the different messages among the songs.

TL;DR Do not judge the album by the terribly poor choice of singles.  There are many good songs on here that easily outnumber the weak song/s on Reverence.  They definitely maintained their integrity while writing this album.

If I had to give it a number rating, I would personally give it a 6.5/10.   I easily enjoyed it overall more than Ire.

I did really enjoy the album for what it is, but there were little to no surprises among the 10 songs as most of what I heard was expected.  Reverence did not redefine metal music, it just made PWD's sound more accessible while still maintaining its traditional PWD punch.  I get the love for the album, I really liked it myself, but I personally do not see how this is 'best 2018 album easily' as there were a decent amount of albums that did something different and were unique this year unlike Reverence did/are.  Definitely a good album, but it is nothing new to be brutally honest.  I am still going to listen to select songs off of Reverence here and there as I genuinely liked them.  Good album, but not a GREAT album in my personal opinion.  Doesn't mean I do not enjoy it, I do, and it doesn't mean that you shouldn't either :) 

EDIT: The more I listen to it, the more I like it.  I have played it through in full 5 times today while commuting and studying for finals and whatnot.  I even had Prey (never would've thought) stuck in my head during my Cell Bio exam lol.  I really like this album, but my score remains unchanged.  My liking or dislike does not determine the quality of an album or piece or whatnot.   

• Upvote 1

Man, this slaps I don't get the hate. Band changes, it's only natural and this is a perfectly enjoyable release for what it is. I particularly love the more Heavy Metal oriented sound; the rap parts don't sound that off to me and they seem to blend well with the overall sound of the album, so I guess it's fine. It just seems like the logical continuity of their previous work.

• Upvote 4

well now that I made it through my work shift and got to listen I must say its amazing I love this album love the direction love that its something different and not following some sort of formula it was definitely worth the wait for me it bangs 

It's not too bad. A little bit better than IRE which isn't saying much for me. Some cool riffs here and there. In blood, absolute power, prey are fun. I'll give it a few more listens. Bands change and adapt their sound..doesn't mean i have to force myself to like it to be a "true fan". They're good guys and good luck to them and their future musical endeavors. killing with a smile will always have a place in my heart.:wub: