dewey duck

The Word Alive - Violent Noise (2018)

90 posts in this topic

Just now, DisturbedOne said:

The only ones I don't enjoy are Real Life and Lost In the Dark after many listens.

Worst tracks.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Dwesk said:

Worst tracks.

For sure, pretty enjoyable album tho. Stare At the Sun is definitely my fav. I really love the production sound too.

I will admit that this album has more energy than I thought it would have. Telle's cleans really shines here, even more than Dark Matter. It's a solid release despite some really out of place and weak songs (Real Life, Human, I Don't Mind). Half of me really enjoys this refreshing path they've paved with the cleans & straight to the point instrumentals, and the other half really misses the capability and TRUE potential of balancing that heavy and softness like in Life Cycles. That album is a masterpiece to me for that reason. It's nice to hear evolution and change, especially when it's executed brilliantly. They have not failed with that goal, yet. 

This record gets a 6.5/10

1 minute ago, Impurity said:

I will admit that this album has more energy than I thought it would have. Telle's cleans really shines here, even more than Dark Matter. It's a solid release despite some really out of place and weak songs (Real Life, Human, I Don't Mind). Half of me really enjoys this refreshing path they've paved with the cleans & straight to the point instrumentals, and the other half really misses the capability and TRUE potential of balancing that heavy and softness like in Life Cycles. That album is a masterpiece to me for that reason. It's nice to hear evolution and change, especially when it's executed brilliantly. They have not failed with that goal, yet. 

This record gets a 6.5/10

I respect your opinion but in mine, this is his weakest vocal performance yet, so monotonous at times and borderline through the motions like some random dude jumping on the mic. I like the album, more than i thought i would but he is capable of a lot more. Dark Matter runs circles around this , vocally.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, BRDSX said:

I respect your opinion but in mine, this is his weakest vocal performance yet, so monotonous at times and borderline through the motions like some random dude jumping on the mic. I like the album, more than i thought i would but he is capable of a lot more. Dark Matter runs circles around this , vocally.

Taking a quick peak again back at Dark Matters and I think I agree. The perfect example is Sellout, that song is a mindblow in that band's potential and experimentation. 

Just now, Impurity said:

Taking a quick peak again back at Dark Matters and I think I agree. The perfect example is Sellout, that song is a mindblow in that band's potential and experimentation. 

I LOVE that song. Sellout, Trapped and Grunge are big  time jams.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Spyro the Dragon said:

nah same producer from dark matter, Matt Good from FFTL, he also produced the latest AA record 

Oh he did do Dark Matter? Never mind then, ty for clarification 

• Upvote 1

Guest MNWild44

Dark Matter took a long time to make am impression on me. Disliked it strongly at first before I grew to absolutely love 3/4 or so of it. I still look sideways at Insane and Branded but whatever. The way they structured songs on that album was sick. The second verse in no way sounded like the first on a majority of songs and they had those nasty bridges (Grunge... Godly). 

This album is definitely a little poppier but goddamn am I feeling it. And with the thought that it WILL grow on me even more... Well done TWA. They're like the one band that I dig more, the more melodic they choose to go. I always felt they could go beyond the typical metalcore they were pushing with Deceiver (although I love that album too), and glad to see them keep the vibe they gave me with Real and Dark Matter. 

For me, probably:

Real. 

Dark Matter

Violent Noise

Life Cycles

Empire

Deceiver

2008 EP (mainly due to sound quality) 

4 minutes ago, MNWild44 said:

Dark Matter took a long time to make am impression on me. Disliked it strongly at first before I grew to absolutely love 3/4 or so of it. I still look sideways at Insane and Branded but whatever. The way they structured songs on that album was sick. The second verse in no way sounded like the first on a majority of songs and they had those nasty bridges (Grunge... Godly). 

This album is definitely a little poppier but goddamn am I feeling it. And with the thought that it WILL grow on me even more... Well done TWA. They're like the one band that I dig more, the more melodic they choose to go. I always felt they could go beyond the typical metalcore they were pushing with Deceiver (although I love that album too), and glad to see them keep the vibe they gave me with Real and Dark Matter. 

For me, probably:

Real. 

Dark Matter

Violent Noise

Life Cycles

Empire

Deceiver

2008 EP (mainly due to sound quality) 

and Craig Mabbit makes it clearly last in line.

Guest MNWild44
1 hour ago, BRDSX said:

I so agree with you. That being said, I feel like REAL destroys both of them vocally. There was so much layering and experimentation with the vocals... There was always something awesome to find hidden in there. The bridge for Play the Victim, for example. Like 4 layers of vocals. 

After a few listens I've had a few additional thoughts regarding Telle's voice.

It's important to say the dude's one of my favourite vocalists.

However.

In this release the lower key of his cleans makes the choruses not pop as much as they should.  His voice feels more "boxed in" than it usually is. idk it's weird and I noticed this when I first heard the single of Red Clouds. A good comparison here is:

on Play the Victim his cleans hit great heights and it really makes them stand out. He gets somewhat close to this on My Enemy and Real Life but for most of the album it's more restrained. It sounds like he's not putting the passion into his words so much and it deadens the impact a little. This has some of their best crowd anthems though and some riffs akin to the play the victim magic. I like this album but it doesn't pop as much as it should do and I'm trying to put my finger on it. I've gotta say out of this year's "new wave"  softer metal core (Blessthefall, Underoath, TWA, The Plot in You), the Plot in You have given the best performance. As I hear more formerly heavy bands release their softer works, I realise just how good TPIY's "Dispose" is because it nailed the transition perfectly.  Initially I was like "I love this" but that love only increases as time goes on. Underoath come in second place.

I kinda wish this album had more slow-paced emotional tunes like Misery and Overdose. One of those placed in this album (had it not been a single) would elevate the album IMO by adding a bit more diversity. In some ways I wish they also produced another song like Dark Matter which has heavy AF verses with dark undertones but a nice catchy chorus.

His uncleans are godly though.

Their best albums are still Real and Life Cycles IMO.

I REALLY do like this album though it's a good change and necessary because conventional metal core is dead and if they produced another album like Life Cycles / Deceiver there would be hype among the hardcore fans, but not much else. This at least helps them expand a lot. Hopefully they incorporate more new songs into their sets. Speaking of, they've started playing Crawling by Linking Park so maybe they'll do a studio cover of that.

I Don't Mind throws off the flow of the album completly, that "fuck" at the end of the song summarises it perfectly tbh 

15 minutes ago, Summers said:

I Don't Mind throws off the flow of the album completly, that "fuck" at the end of the song summarises it perfectly tbh 

It is the worst song I've heard them do. I cringed the first time I heard it and forced myself to listen. Came back to it a few days later and felt the same, it's only alright when you don't listen to any of the other songs because it train wrecks the flow. If the rets of the album was pop / punkish it would be a good song because it would fit, but nope.

Just now, Cam979 said:

It is the worst song I've heard them do. I cringed the first time I heard it and forced myself to listen. Came back to it a few days later and felt the same,

Puts the album down a couple of points for me it just ruins the flow completly for me :/

@Summers @Cam979 lmao I kinda get where you both are coming from but I think it's a cool fun song that they've never tried out before and it has some real Sum 41 early-mid 00s alt.rock/pop punk vibes, to me the part where the album grinds to a halt is tracks 8-9, man those just straight feel you with the biggest "meh" possible. 

I constantly come back to Real. to see if I've changed my mind and started enjoying that album, but god damn while it has fantastic moments and is very experimental, overall it's an absolute fucking clusterfuck during the heavy songs, it could've easily been their best if they had a proper producer and better arrangement of half the tracks, like there's so much going on at times and it all sounds cool but the tunes overall leave you feeling empty, the whole is definitely not as great as the sum of it's parts in that case. I'd rather listen to Trappeds and Stare At The Suns x10 in an album than the best songs on Real. personally, not a single song is fantastic start to finish on that album, oh and I really enjoy Lighthouse :D

Still feel like they can pull off a rich and fulfilling album in the future (unless they "outgrow" metalcore), because the better halves of both Dark Matter and Violent Noise are honestly fucking great, it's just that the rest always have plenty lackluster moments.

pretty boring. i expected this to be good too. definitely fell short of dark matter. stare at the sun, my enemy, lonely are pretty good tho

Just like dark matter this album is growing on me big time. Run away is incredible

has someone got the SCANS for this album. Front, Back, CD & BOOKLET?

I like this way more than I thought I would.  4/5

Favorites are:
Red Clouds
I fucked up
War Evermore 
Human (That Sincerely Collins verse on the choruses are fucking great)
I don't Mind (It isn't as out of place as Real Life, I swear lol)
Run Away
Lonely

Don't really like:
Why Am I like This? (Sunday bloody sunday)
Real Life (Way too much Drum & bass-ish for me)

The others are Meh.

This album is growing on me hardcore, i am loving it more every listen, very interesting, albums don't usually grow on me that fast

• Upvote 1

FLAC added!

• Upvote 1

This has grown on me like the Underoath record, the Plot in You record and now this.

I love it. 8/10.

This album and Dark Matter are really showcasing what I feel Telle has wanted to really express for a long time, but didn't quite have the chops to do before. This darker, introspective view is something fresh and keeps me coming back to jam TWA's latest work. Also that Danny Worsnop feature is fire as hell

Why even bother listening to these guys anymore, they will never top deceiver. I still have my signed copy from the tour. Nothing competes. Dissapointing. They had a lot of potential.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, unnadog said:

Why even bother listening to these guys anymore, they will never top deceiver. I still have my signed copy from the tour. Nothing competes. Dissapointing. They had a lot of potential.

Life Cycles, Dark Matter >

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Life Cycles is their best, stomps Deceiver.

Pretty enjoyable for what it is. I have to admit that I was initially turned off by the first single, but decided to give this a shot and see if it still lived up to par. While nowhere near as good as previous material, I still find this to be quite enjoyable.

• Upvote 1