Lord Kingdom

Of Mice & Men - Defy (2018)

94 posts in this topic

First three and last two songs were really good. The rest was... boring and the lyrics made me cringe at times. Which was rather surprising since I loved Aaron’s lyrics when he was in Jamie’s Elsewhere. #dadmetal?

Other Releases by

Guest emocowmoo

I got a chime in on this... I was a big Jamies Elsewhere fan with Aaron Pauley.  I was pissed when he left the band because the release They Said a Storm Was Coming left me wanting another release that could top that, which would have been awesome!  I was excited to see him join OM&M though.  When Restoring Force was released, it was different, but I ended up liking the album, a lot... Cold World, I don't even know what to say except they should have sent trash bags when I pre-ordered that release since it was garbage.  I'm definitely a fan of the 1st 2 albums with the Shayley and Austin combination.  But I guess I'm now a fan of Aaron Pauley and the "new" release as well.  It's different than old OM&M and Jamies Elsewhere, but it's not bad.  Lyrics, they're okay.  I don't see them going back to their old roots, but I'd hate to see them evolve into a straight Rock Radio band after this release.

@emocowmoo Try clicking on your social links on your post :D

Guest emocowmoo
1 minute ago, mR12 said:

@emocowmoo Try clicking on your social links on your post :D

Thanks bud.  I'll go ahead and fix that

Definitely starting to grow on me like the last album. I think my attachment to still ydgn blinded me a little to forever at first but that song is definitely fun. 

20 hours ago, TheHunteraciaStrain said:

I think that the S/T is a generic pile of trash, sue me. 

I wish I could sue you for saying that. Trust me.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, TheHunteraciaStrain said:

I think that the S/T is a generic pile of trash, sue me. 

So then what would you consider this?

Probably their second worst effort, just above the self titled. It's still a great record but I have to admit I am missing Austin. Still a banger though, to say it is their second worst is not saying it is bad! 

On 1/15/2018 at 2:22 PM, AMNESIK said:

Does it really surprise you? OM&M is like the Wal-Mart of heavy music. 

I had a comment to make, now i don't. That pretty much covered the entire spectrum. Good work.

• Love 1

Guest soulklepto

Don’t get some of the hate This is getting, I really enjoyed it. 

7 hours ago, Predator said:

Out of curiosity, what is it about his vocals that you don’t like?

He always sounded like he was struggling to do it. Like he never learned how to scream properly. I remember when everyone first started going crazy about them, and that was all I could hear.

• Upvote 1

Why is everyone bringing up the first album like that was any better than what they made after it? Lol. Vocally aaron destroys Austin an shay. At least he still sounds great live aswell. They've only improved slightly from their first album. But the same song structure an formula never left. Lazy riffs an lazy breakdowns lol. You guy's are giving this band waaaaay to much credit. 

Austin did have better lyrics though. That's about it. 

• Confused 2

The Flood was probably their best work overall, especially the Deluxe. But even that is suuuper generic and while the newer stuff has more filler the good songs are actually really really good (Pain, Bones Exposed).

CD-Rip added!

This isn't Jamie's Elsewhere! 0/10.

But really, this album is simply described as boring and uninspired.

Not sure if they are just trying to become radio-friendly, or if they are just over the band. If it is neither, and they really felt THIS was what they should've done to revive the band, then they're probably better off calling it quits.

Also, why does Aaron have to have that god-awful vocal effect? He can sing, and scream, just fine.

Stop it, seek help.

5/10 at best. Boringly average.

• Upvote 1

Would you look at that, All That Remains released a new album!

At least it's better than Cold World, but goddamn they are just boring radio metal now

It has a lot of moments that sound really fucking good, like Forever YDG'n, but then it has shitty safe tracks like Back To Me. Doesn't help that Aaron's cleans and uncleans have nothing unique about them, like what happened to him? Dude used to be such a good vocalist in Jamie's Elsewhere, but now he's so generic 

• Haha 1

Even though I understand how some of people here might receive this album, personally I'm digging Defy very much. Maybe calling this "in love with it" might be too much, but those are really solid 12 tracks.

Aside from the singles we've heard before - it's like a mix of The Flood, Restoring Force and Cold War with some twists and different leading vocals.

Generic? Even if so, Aaron sounds really power-hungry here - for me it's a good direction they've taken with this album.

If We Were Ghosts and On The Inside are absolutely outstanding. Also it astounds me how Aaron's cleans fit so well with nu-metali'sh chords known from Restoring Force (example - Sunflower).

Overall 9/10 because I simply enjoyed listening to the full 2 spins :) 

• Upvote 3

If you are hoping for another "The Flood" you are gonna have a bad time waiting for it. Hey, this is WAY better than Cold World :shrug: nothing new, nothing innovating, just another okay average "post-hardcore" album. Vocals are simply alright. Some good heavy songs, some other generic songs and some melodic songs. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, From Autumn To Ashes said:

I guess it's on par with "Restoring Force" or maybe even a little bit better

The Flood > Restoring Force > Self-Titled = Defy > Cold World

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Shutara said:

Even though I understand how some of people here might receive this album, personally I'm digging Defy very much. Maybe calling this "in love with it" might be too much, but those are really solid 12 tracks.

Aside from the singles we've heard before - it's like a mix of The Flood, Restoring Force and Cold War with some twists and different leading vocals.

Generic? Even if so, Aaron sounds really power-hungry here - for me it's a good direction they've taken with this album.

If We Were Ghosts and On The Inside are absolutely outstanding. Also it astounds me how Aaron's cleans fit so well with nu-metali'sh chords known from Restoring Force (example - Sunflower).

Overall 9/10 because I simply enjoyed listening to the full 2 spins :) 

Sunflower is awesome

• Upvote 2

Guest MusicNomad92

Honestly this is fun. It's nothing groundbreaking but it's just a good time.

I used to think I liked The Flood the most but their self-titled has grown on me over the years. So my ranking would probably be something like

Self-Titled > The Flood > Defy = Restoring Force > Cold World

The Flood destroys all  when it comes to OM&M.

The Flood....................................... >  S/T > Defy > Restoring Force........................................................................... > Cold World

• Upvote 1

It's exactly what i was expecting --> extremely mediocre hard rock record with a splash of metal in a desperate attempt to not lose old fans that have already been lost.

3.5/10 do not recommend. 

They Said a Storm Was Coming >