Lord Kingdom

2017 Album of the Year - Poll Results + Discussion

2017 ALBUM OF THE YEAR  

916 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which album should win the 2017 AOTY award?

• The Menzingers - After the Party
    • August Burns Red - Phantom Anthem
    • Palisades - Palisades
    • Oceans Ate Alaska - Hikari
    • Wage War - Deadweight
    • Brand New - Science Fiction
    • Code Orange - Forever
    • Born of Osiris - The Eternal Reign
    • Asking Alexandria - Asking Alexandria
    • Make Them Suffer - Worlds Apart
    • Kendrick Lamar - DAMN
    • Enter Shikari - The Spark
    • Polaris - The Mortal Coil
    • Veil of Maya - False Idol
    • Counterparts - You're Not You Anymore
    • Silverstein - Dead Reflection
    • Northlane - Mesmer
    • While She Sleeps - You Are We
    • Motionless In White - Graveyard Shift
    • Currents - The Place I Feel Safest
    • Like Moths to Flames - Dark Divine
    • Trivium - The Sin and the Sentence

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/15/2018 at 08:00 AM

127 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, LKA said:

Kendrick Lamar > Brand New

Like, the first song I tried listening to off of "Science Fiction" had the lyrics " I seen those boys kissing boys // With their mouth in the street // But I raised my son to be a righteous man // I made it clear to him what fear of God means" Great, another alternative rock band going on about suicide, touching children inappropriately and hating gay people... Explain to me again why they are considered to be one of the best alternative rock bands? His voice also sucks...

Funny you bring that up because it's not supposed to be taken literally. Brand New are also, lyrically sound compared to most bands... Tell me how an artist with these lines can be considered "Great:"

"Ooh, that pussy good, it's to die for"

"I'm a savage, I'm a asshole, I'm a king"

"Tell your nigga he can meet me outside"

"All I want tonight is to get high up"

It's seriously so generic... Oh look, another rapper in his late 30s talking about picking fights. fucking women, and smoking weed. Also saying "nigga" in the same verse is hilarious... Better get Rihanna in that song too to make it even more generic. Damn is so overrated and Kendrick is just another illiterate rapper who can't write anything thought provoking or unique.

Nothing More, Brand New, Queens of the Stone Age, etc all released better material last year.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

There are only 4 albums on the list I like over Kendrick, so I'm okay with it.

Never knew KL could be so hateful towards a rapper winning AOTY. like Dwesk and Tylerdurden said, I'm glad Kendrick won just to piss off you core kids. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Lame...oh well

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

'Cause my bright is too slight to hold back all my dark.

imo this is not a nice choice.novelist deserve to be in the list...

Easily the best album this year. Probably the best rap album of this decade. No "core" bands, or metal bands for that matter really released anything worth going back to a year later/ with a few exceptions. Deserved winners. King Kendrick. :)

• Haha 2

i think you must not post this album!maximum of users dont realy care about rap genre and how this kendrik or whatever can win!!!

1 hour ago, LKA said:

Kendrick Lamar > Brand New

Like, the first song I tried listening to off of "Science Fiction" had the lyrics " I seen those boys kissing boys // With their mouth in the street // But I raised my son to be a righteous man // I made it clear to him what fear of God means" Great, another alternative rock band going on about suicide, touching children inappropriately and hating gay people... Explain to me again why they are considered to be one of the best alternative rock bands? His voice also sucks...

I swear to god that was my reaction too when i first listened to it lmao

i was like "ok so we hating on gay dudes because god said it. K mate, and then we ask why trump won the presidentials?"

2.gif.4452593f36a2f3505101a484f098740c.gif

I never listened to Brand New before this album but that boring record was no where near DAMN. I would have rather voted for a metal/rock album, but just about every release in those genres in 2-17 fucking sucked ass. Wage War was cool, but 50x blegh's & breakdowns dont come close to the rhymes and insane story telling on that K.Dot record

this poll is a joke lol 

12 hours ago, coachlow said:

no way. this album had a hit song, but come on. ALBUM OF THE YEAR? hell no. i think people were too divided amongst other albums and the entire rap community voted on this album

this guy hit the nail on the head.

all i had to say when i saw the results was... DAMN. pun intended 

i didnt vote but if i did it would be Graveyard shift. but why is everyone sleeping on The Animal In Me

• Haha 1

what a shame actually

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, Corpsegrind3r said:

i was like "ok so we hating on gay dudes because god said it. K mate, and then we ask why trump won the presidentials?"

That lyric is a not their personal opinon, I was just poking fun at the other comment by showing that you can cherry pick any line, take it literally and use that as an attack point for the album

• Upvote 3

ABUSEOFPOWER.JPG

BCJNh3t.png

Did this really win? Like, he's a good rapper, but music that actually has instruments whoops any rappers ass any day.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Corpsegrind3r said:

That's literally the point of the song... It's supposed to be tongue in cheek and not meant to be taken literally. Jesse Lacey is already on record supporting the LGBTQ community... Hell, the lyric right before that part is: "If I believe only half what I read, then I got a reason to be dug in deep."

It's supposed to point out the fact that the Bible tells you to love, and that God loves everyone, but not if you be yourself and have different beliefs.

5 minutes ago, Parmersan said:

That's literally the point of the song... It's supposed to be tongue in cheek and not meant to be taken literally. Jesse Lacey is already on record supporting the LGBTQ community... Hell, the lyric right before that part is: "If I believe only half what I read, then I got a reason to be dug in deep."

It's supposed to point out the fact that the Bible tells you to love, and that God loves everyone, but not if you be yourself and have different beliefs.

16 minutes ago, LKA said:

That lyric is a not their personal opinon, I was just poking fun at the other comment by showing that you can cherry pick any line, take it literally and use that as an attack point for the album

Lmao my fault then, listened to the whole thing way too fast, should go back at it 

Anyway got the point

37 minutes ago, Memol said:

i think you must not post this album!maximum of users dont realy care about rap genre and how this kendrik or whatever can win!!!

The 2 most downloaded releases in the history of KL are rap releases

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

ABUSEOFPOWER.JPG

BCJNh3t.png

28 minutes ago, Achilles1643 said:

i didnt vote but if i did it would be Graveyard shift. but why is everyone sleeping on The Animal In Me

Your existence is a joke.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

let me in.

8c1R5CB.gif

So far, this entire thread got my feelings tangled between "lol" and contracting cancer

• Haha 1

Crush on you

tumblr_p8d6h2wYoc1unrq34o3_500.gif

DAMN I should have voted...

• Upvote 1

DAMN.

Good choice, ya'll.

• Haha 1

listen to Silent Planet.

C'mon Core fans, we must get on the same page.... now i get to see Lamar's donkey face every time i come on the website for a whole year. Pretty much the only album in the poll i haven't listened to, so i went on youtube to listen the album....... got annoyed after 1m38s

But i get it, KL's community is getting bigger, lots of new users who aren't necessarily big fans of heavy , core or punk music. That's cool, but brace yourselves, DGD will claim back their throne next year. 

BTW, i also get the fact that many regular users may enjoy the album, it's all good... It just breaks my heart to see this album as AOTY with all the good albums in the list in a year that was imho, one of the best year in a while.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

ive literally been on this website or a combined two days and i cannot believe this. not that being AOTY but the fact that Damn was the only album on this poll that i have heard

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, aleximou said:

ive literally been on this website or a combined two days and i cannot believe this. not that being AOTY but the fact that Damn was the only album on this poll that i have heard

you haven't even heard Brand New? That one was really successful and you have Alternative Rock as your favourite genre. Not even Code Orange which is Grammy nominated?

ABUSEOFPOWER.JPG

BCJNh3t.png

My hope for humanity is lost. 

• Upvote 2

Im very surprised, but KL's quiet (but large) rap community made themselves heard. I personally liked NF's album more, what an interesting AOTY vote, and this thread is too funny

http://www.facebook.com/DosesNJ

New Self Titled EP out now on all streaming platforms!
http://linktr.ee/Doses

Fuck this sucks!!! I wish I voted.. never even thought this would be AOTY.. it somehow doesn’t even fit to see that in the AOTY

People: "oh man my AOTY wasn't the AOTY, argh angry cause not my opinion! Argh!" 

Seeing this literally makes me not like the AOTY voting at all. Because like I thought, it just breeds whining and fighting, with a few smart minded people like @Dwesk 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dwesk said:

Your existence is a joke.

Cant fucking stop laughing, i mean for real mate, i think i might love you.

Anyway as someone else said above, this post almost gave me cancer, all the worst part of KL just woke up and thought it was a good idea to jerk off on the keyboard and see what would come out, this is the only explanation i can give myself for some comments.