Filecrypt is now fully operational.
Lord Rorschach

Veil of Maya - False Idol (2017)

101 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Literally no one has anything negative to say haha. Yeah, it's great.

About time haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought this band was ok....amazing musicians, just had a lack of melody for my taste. But dudes....this album is a piece of art!!! So fucking amazing!!! AOTY contender in my books so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, xcblackdiamond said:

This is one of the best albums of the year imo. Also minor note, I love the lowkey spooky vibes in some songs and it comes out close to Halloween lol 

I thought the same thing....the first song has a spooky vibe. I fell in love

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That bouncy riff at like 55 seconds in pool spray is sooooooo dirty. This whole album is great the whole way through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Impurity said:

Echo Chamber’s insane clean vocals throughout the entire song or Follow Me’s heavy aspect wins the best song on the record. I can’t pick, fuck this is a masterpiece. Look at where they started with [id] and see where they’ve landed. They’re in a whole new world and they brought us along. Fuck me i love today 

 

Dude, Echo Chamber is a masterpiece! I really like that song, but i think "Citadel" is way more groovy. Also "Pool Spray" sound like a Meshuggah song, djent much? ha. Amazing album. I share your thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve jammed this wayyy more than I should’ve today. Literally perfect in every way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Grapes of the end said:

Follow me is the most heaviest track in the record 10/10 what a banger

This so hard. I did NOT expect that at all. Easily within the top 5 Maya tracks. I feel like after that track they just went Born of Osiris 2.0 and they almost do it even better. If Veil's next album had total space vibes like this I would throw money at them.

This album was really dope. If you're put off by the cleans in the singles disregard them because theres very few in the rest of the album and you're doing yourself a disservice not listening to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a few days with this album and I wanted to come up with the best response to it that I could before I posted anything.

Matriarch is one of my favorite records I've ever listened to. Before that, Veil of Maya had a permanent spot in the "don't give a shit" pile. I saw a teaser for Mikasa on Facebook and, as it was 15 seconds long, I looked at it. It just showed a little screaming and most of the chorus. I was totally astounded by how intrigued by it that I was. When the album came out, I listened, and loved, every single song. Not only did i enjoy the record, but Matriarch became one of my favorite albums of all time. Years passed and, like any other fan, I wanted more music. I knew that, for me, Veil of Maya wouldn't be able to make anything better than Matriarch and I was okay with that. I just wanted more music.

Fast forward 2 years; new Veil of Maya single, "Overthrow." I listened to it a good bit, I really liked it; it wasn't Matriarch-level good. But, it was good. Following that, "Doublespeak" came out. At first, I was pretty meh on it. I listened to it maybe once or twice and was like "okay, cool."

I have a history with severe anxiety and depression; and the same day that this album showed up in my email, me and my long-time significant other almost split up. I was so torn up all day, crying and sobbing everywhere like a baby. I've put so much of my life and effort into my relationship and I honestly couldn't bare the thought of losing them.
That night, I couldn't sleep; thoughts and the aforementioned anxiety and depression were eating at me.

I thought about my life and all that I had done and I felt so shitty; I felt like I was as low as I could get. I felt like I was nothing but a fuck-up and wouldn't amount to much. We've all been there.
In that sleeplessness, I decided I would give this album a listen, I figured the heaviness would help me cope with my emotions. I went through it and most of it was mildly forgettable, likely due to my mood. Then I ran into "Manichee"... Now before I continue, let me show you some lyrics from that song.
 

Quote

We should not expect the worst from ourselves, or it's all we'll receive
We should not descend below our own selves, we'll get trapped underneath

My own sufferings were treated as mistakes, feeling defeated
With crippled spirits, but we refuse to break; our heart's not depleted
No control, we're unsustainable
On the ropes: fighting; incapable
Standing at the edge; are we still worth it?
No control, we're not retainable
Lost in smoke, but we're not replaceable
Clenching to our edge, we are not worthless.


This was one of those cases where your first listen of a song immediately puts you madly in love with it. After my day, and in addition to how I felt about myself with the depression/anxiety; and I admit, suicidal thoughts, and this song... no... these words were exactly what I needed that night. It could have been divine intervention; it could have been coincidence. But, I felt so much stronger after that. Following that, I re-listened to this album with renewed breath and open eyes; and I am so happy to report that I love every song on this album.

I won't feed you any "this song/album saved my life", because it didn't. It wasn't that serious. But I will tell you that there still is magic in music. It had been so long since a song or album has touched me in an emotional way and I am so happy it could be this one. I don't expect anyone to really read this. I just wanted to share.

Anyway, thanks! This album is great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Aria If a song/album can allow you to think differently and almost 'Put light on the horizon' you know that it's more than just music. I'm glad Veil allowed you to think positively. Use it as fuel to push forward and always know there are people to talk to when struggling.

 

I came back to say how ridiculous this album is. Safe to say this is AOTY currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aria said:

I've had a few days with this album and I wanted to come up with the best response to it that I could before I posted anything.

Matriarch is one of my favorite records I've ever listened to. Before that, Veil of Maya had a permanent spot in the "don't give a shit" pile. I saw a teaser for Mikasa on Facebook and, as it was 15 seconds long, I looked at it. It just showed a little screaming and most of the chorus. I was totally astounded by how intrigued by it that I was. When the album came out, I listened, and loved, every single song. Not only did i enjoy the record, but Matriarch became one of my favorite albums of all time. Years passed and, like any other fan, I wanted more music. I knew that, for me, Veil of Maya wouldn't be able to make anything better than Matriarch and I was okay with that. I just wanted more music.

Fast forward 2 years; new Veil of Maya single, "Overthrow." I listened to it a good bit, I really liked it; it wasn't Matriarch-level good. But, it was good. Following that, "Doublespeak" came out. At first, I was pretty meh on it. I listened to it maybe once or twice and was like "okay, cool."

I have a history with severe anxiety and depression; and the same day that this album showed up in my email, me and my long-time significant other almost split up. I was so torn up all day, crying and sobbing everywhere like a baby. I've put so much of my life and effort into my relationship and I honestly couldn't bare the thought of losing them.
That night, I couldn't sleep; thoughts and the aforementioned anxiety and depression were eating at me.

I thought about my life and all that I had done and I felt so shitty; I felt like I was as low as I could get. I felt like I was nothing but a fuck-up and wouldn't amount to much. We've all been there.
In that sleeplessness, I decided I would give this album a listen, I figured the heaviness would help me cope with my emotions. I went through it and most of it was mildly forgettable, likely due to my mood. Then I ran into "Manichee"... Now before I continue, let me show you some lyrics from that song.
 


This was one of those cases where your first listen of a song immediately puts you madly in love with it. After my day, and in addition to how I felt about myself with the depression/anxiety; and I admit, suicidal thoughts, and this song... no... these words were exactly what I needed that night. It could have been divine intervention; it could have been coincidence. But, I felt so much stronger after that. Following that, I re-listened to this album with renewed breath and open eyes; and I am so happy to report that I love every song on this album.

I won't feed you any "this song/album saved my life", because it didn't. It wasn't that serious. But I will tell you that there still is magic in music. It had been so long since a song or album has touched me in an emotional way and I am so happy it could be this one. I don't expect anyone to really read this. I just wanted to share.

Anyway, thanks! This album is great!

 

Wow, I probably would have never read this if you didn't post on the discord chat indicating you were about to drop a novel on the VOM post. I was intrigued and had to come take a look. Reading your post I kinda zoned into it. I was listening to something but totally spaced and just felt like I was listening to you tell me this. It felt so real. Bare with me, I know that sounds a little sketch haha. While I may have not experienced the same anxiety and depression trigger as you did that day, I can totally relate to what you were feeling and going through. I too suffer from severe anxiety, OCD and depression. Been dealing with the hell that it all brings since I was 7.

 

I too had a time like you had where I was upset, anxious, depressed, suicidal.... I always tend to listen to music/find new music when I am feeling this way. One of my worst times was around when Papa Roach's album "F.E.A.R." came out. I am not a huge Papa Roach fan but for some reason wanted to give this album a listen. I downloaded it, put it on my iPhone and decided to get back in bed. 

 

I went to the album on my phone. I clicked play and the first song played: "Face Everything And Rise". I remember sitting there... Not expecting anything. Not expecting to like it nor ever have a song connect with me like it did. I heard the lyrics:

 

Quote

I can't breathe, my heart is choking
I need a cure for this life I've chosen
The pain, the rain is a blessing in disguise
I feel it cutting and its cutting like a knife

 

It was literally exactly what I was feeling. The fucked up thoughts, the tight chest, barely able to breath.  I wanted a silver bullet to take the suffering away. I didn't want to live in this hell anymore. I didn't want to spend my days crying and asking why me? I was tired of living each day in my hell of a mind.

 

I was so stuck on those lyrics I totally missed the whole meaning of the song. I didn't even pay attention to the rest of the song. I just kept hearing those lyrics in my head over and over. I decided to listen to it again. However, this time.... I heard something... Something that is now a part of me and with me forever. 

 

Quote

I will face everything and rise
Never gonna quit until the day I die

 

It's crazy how these simple words changed my life. Changed the way I think. They took me from that ledge that I felt like I was hanging on for dear life. It's like something clicked in my head. I thought, "I can sit here and let life eat me away, tear me apart and throw me to the curb. or I can Face Everything I was dealing with And Rise above them." Now, I am not saying I am cured. Hell, I still have really bad days. Anxiety and depression will always be a bitch. Something I have to live with for the rest of my life. However, I can choose how I let it effect me. 

 

I soon went out and got my first tattoo. I am sure you can guess what it was. 

BtWCYCz.jpg

I am glad that music has helped you through tough times like it has for me. Music is a powerful thing. Some people will just never understand. Life without music would be meaningless. I don't know where I would be today without it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright; coming back to comment after 9 or 10 listens. This is honestly one of the best core records I've heard since like the golden Rise era bands or some shit. It's just perfect. Has everything you could want from a core album. The mix is fucking atrocious which is really a shame but musically it's damn near perfect. God damn, what a release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aria said:

I've had a few days with this album and I wanted to come up with the best response to it that I could before I posted anything.

Matriarch is one of my favorite records I've ever listened to. Before that, Veil of Maya had a permanent spot in the "don't give a shit" pile. I saw a teaser for Mikasa on Facebook and, as it was 15 seconds long, I looked at it. It just showed a little screaming and most of the chorus. I was totally astounded by how intrigued by it that I was. When the album came out, I listened, and loved, every single song. Not only did i enjoy the record, but Matriarch became one of my favorite albums of all time. Years passed and, like any other fan, I wanted more music. I knew that, for me, Veil of Maya wouldn't be able to make anything better than Matriarch and I was okay with that. I just wanted more music.

Fast forward 2 years; new Veil of Maya single, "Overthrow." I listened to it a good bit, I really liked it; it wasn't Matriarch-level good. But, it was good. Following that, "Doublespeak" came out. At first, I was pretty meh on it. I listened to it maybe once or twice and was like "okay, cool."

I have a history with severe anxiety and depression; and the same day that this album showed up in my email, me and my long-time significant other almost split up. I was so torn up all day, crying and sobbing everywhere like a baby. I've put so much of my life and effort into my relationship and I honestly couldn't bare the thought of losing them.
That night, I couldn't sleep; thoughts and the aforementioned anxiety and depression were eating at me.

I thought about my life and all that I had done and I felt so shitty; I felt like I was as low as I could get. I felt like I was nothing but a fuck-up and wouldn't amount to much. We've all been there.
In that sleeplessness, I decided I would give this album a listen, I figured the heaviness would help me cope with my emotions. I went through it and most of it was mildly forgettable, likely due to my mood. Then I ran into "Manichee"... Now before I continue, let me show you some lyrics from that song.
 


This was one of those cases where your first listen of a song immediately puts you madly in love with it. After my day, and in addition to how I felt about myself with the depression/anxiety; and I admit, suicidal thoughts, and this song... no... these words were exactly what I needed that night. It could have been divine intervention; it could have been coincidence. But, I felt so much stronger after that. Following that, I re-listened to this album with renewed breath and open eyes; and I am so happy to report that I love every song on this album.

I won't feed you any "this song/album saved my life", because it didn't. It wasn't that serious. But I will tell you that there still is magic in music. It had been so long since a song or album has touched me in an emotional way and I am so happy it could be this one. I don't expect anyone to really read this. I just wanted to share.

Anyway, thanks! This album is great!

 

I've been feeling exactly the same way. Manichee spoke to me as well. Clairvoyant by The Contortionist is also an album that has helped me a lot through the past few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dan said:

Alright; coming back to comment after 9 or 10 listens. This is honestly one of the best core records I've heard since like the golden Rise era bands or some shit. It's just perfect. Has everything you could want from a core album. The mix is fucking atrocious which is really a shame but musically it's damn near perfect. God damn, what a release.

Sounds fine to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who's the feature on Pool Spray? I can't quite place my finger on it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While Matriarch was a so-so album for me, this is hands down their best album to date. Perfect. I honestly have nothing more to say, it is just perfect the way it is. For sure it is in my top 3 of 2017. Now I'll cry my eyes out, because I gotta preorder that tasty 12 inch record. 

 

Veil has risen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mix sounds fine to me, honestly. This is almost too good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2017 at 5:12 PM, bloodllust said:

This so hard. I did NOT expect that at all. Easily within the top 5 Maya tracks. I feel like after that track they just went Born of Osiris 2.0 and they almost do it even better. If Veil's next album had total space vibes like this I would throw money at them.

This album was really dope. If you're put off by the cleans in the singles disregard them because theres very few in the rest of the album and you're doing yourself a disservice not listening to it.

Are you sure you're listening to the right album? Generic cleans are on ALL songs except tyrant and follow me. Brandon leaving doomed this band. It's pretty funny to watch all these people hop on the bandwagon now they've added cleans. "oh I didn't like them before but now they've got generic cleans they're amazing". Sorry but if you prefer VoM after Brandon then you were never a true VoM fan. This album is garbage. Common mans collapse, ID and even eclipse is better than this trash. Then again these are the same people that think wage war are 10/10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, unnadog said:

Are you sure you're listening to the right album? Generic cleans are on ALL songs except tyrant and follow me. Brandon leaving doomed this band. It's pretty funny to watch all these people hop on the bandwagon now they've added cleans. "oh I didn't like them before but now they've got generic cleans they're amazing". Sorry but if you prefer VoM after Brandon then you were never a true VoM fan. This album is garbage. Common mans collapse, ID and even eclipse is better than this trash. Then again these are the same people that think wage war are 10/10.

I was gonna say I disagree but that last sentence I can agree with. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now